BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Surely I am not the only one - M140i Hatchback

12-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #23
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Focus R, Golf R, GLA45 AMG.

BMW who?
      12-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #24
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

I think it would definitely be cool. So would a M340i wagon. The trouble is, aside from the Merc G45 "SUV," the BMW would start at a price probably a bit higher than the Focus and Golf end at. Those cars are niche market, price-justifiable but just. The BMW wouldn't be. As cool as it is, I don't think there are enough of us that would consider it to make it viable for BMW.
Appreciate 2
      12-28-2017, 08:11 AM   #25
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
I think it would definitely be cool. So would a M340i wagon. The trouble is, aside from the Merc G45 "SUV," the BMW would start at a price probably a bit higher than the Focus and Golf end at. Those cars are niche market, price-justifiable but just. The BMW wouldn't be. As cool as it is, I don't think there are enough of us that would consider it to make it viable for BMW.
Indeed. The same reason we don't see the S4 Avant here any more. Americans hate station wagons, by and large - even over-the-top beasts like the CTS-V wagon. The fact that Volvo is offering the Polestar and that MB still sells the E class AMG wagon here is starting to become remarkable.

If I could have gotten a 335i wagon, I wouldn't have ended up in my X1 - which I am thoroughly enjoying, however.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2017, 02:42 PM   #26
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
The X2 also appears to be on the larger side. I am really enjoying our e84 xDrive28i X1.....it is a perfect size for our needs and drives and handles quite nicely. I was surprised how much smaller it is sitting next to the X3, but it feels roomy enough inside and the cargo space is pretty good as long as you don't go crazy. The roof racks are at a reasonable level as well. You can pick up a nice clean low mileage used one for around $25K with all the bells and whistles. It is my wife's car, but I am always stealing it away from her.
If the e84 had a useable trunk I'd have got a 35i x , much better car than the new one but utterly useless as a puppermobile with that teeny little rear
Appreciate 2
      12-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #27
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Googled a pic and that is one hot hatch. Would surely kick VW butt, even if a bit more expensive. Has some of that 'clown shoe' thing going on. MUCH better than a small SUV, for me.
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2017, 10:49 AM   #28
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
If the e84 had a useable trunk I'd have got a 35i x , much better car than the new one but utterly useless as a puppermobile with that teeny little rear
Yeah, pooch wise it's a bit tight, but I manage to stuff our two dogs in there for shorter trips. At least the rear seats fold and lock past vertical to help open up some space and head room inboard. Don't remember from my rental experience how much more room is in the 1 series 5dr ?
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #29
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
Yeah, pooch wise it's a bit tight, but I manage to stuff our two dogs in there for shorter trips. At least the rear seats fold and lock past vertical to help open up some space and head room inboard. Don't remember from my rental experience how much more room is in the 1 series 5dr ?
Our 2 are 200lb combined so didn't come close to fitting

The 3 estate/touring is also a bit light in the trunk, and we only got the basemodel here
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2017, 06:29 PM   #30
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

I see that the A Class Mercedes is coming Stateside March 2018, it could be the alternative I am looking for, take a look here: https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mer...-cars/a-class/

Hopefully they decide to bring the hatchback to the USA, the sedan is definitely going to be here. The hatchback, IMHO, looks very good, not a sterile as the Golf, comes in AMG guise, and has an incredible interior. I would remove the rear wing: https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mer...g-a-45-4matic/
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 10:00 PM   #31
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
Hopefully they decide to bring the hatchback to the USA...
They are not going to bring the A Class hatchback to the US. As Audi did with the A3 sedan, Mercedes had the US market in mind when they built the business case to add a sedan form factor to their compact model lineup.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #32
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
Your pups don't fit with the rear seats folded down? I know you said they're about 100lbs each, but.....
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 04:34 AM   #33
1SolidF20
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 118i M Sport

Quote:
I am about to be an empty nester and, as a result, I am looking for a small efficient driver's car. It felt so good to sell my LX570 now that I am no longer hauling kid stuff around. My job requires me to carry some fairly sophisticated equipment in my trunk, so I need a good size trunk. I love the feel of a car that handles well with appropriate power. It also needs to be stealthy; I don't want to be a cop magnet. I am currently driving a 2018 M4 as my DD (total cop magnet - I know, I know!). I enjoy the car, but see it more as a weekend car and would like to acquire a separate vehicle for work purposes.

Given that my requirements are excellent handling, appropriate power, good size trunk, small car and stealth, my attention turned to hatchbacks. My first company vehicle was a Golf GTI (1985), so you'll perhaps get where I am coming from. That car was a total joy to drive with more than enough power, taut handling, and so darn usable! I also enjoy watching vehicle reviews on YouTube, specifically CarWow and Joe Achilles. "Why?", you may ask. These two guys typically test and review vehicles based upon their everyday usability. In other words, how most of us here tend to use our vehicles. Most of us aren't racing from traffic light to traffic light. A lot of reviewers tend to obsess about 0-60 times, but do I really care that the new M5 is 0.1 seconds faster than the AMG 63s from 0 to 60? No, I don't give a shit. I cared about that when I was 22 and couldn't afford vehicles of that nature. Now that I am able to afford them, I don't want them.

Joe Achilles loves BMW's, and specifically the M140i hatchback. What's not to love? It's a stealthy vehicle with a large trunk, superb handling, 300+ HP, and it's a BMW! If this vehicle was released in the USA today, I would head off to my local Dealer and place the order. Overseas it comes with xDrive, and yes I would add that option, as it would be my "everything car". It would take me and my snowboard everywhere during the winter, carry my mountain bike everywhere during the summer, and it would be great for my work. I can't get my head around the X1, the X4 M40i is just too big and tall, so I am stuck. These vehicles are also challenging to load your ski's, snowboard, or whatever you want to place on the roof racks. My LX had me standing on the tires to load anything on my roof racks - try that in your snowboard boots.

I am looking at alternatives, and believe me, I have researched this topic exhaustively. The Lexus NX200 hurts my eyes, the Mazda 3 has great styling, but I don't want a four banger, the Subaru's are just too weird and so low on power, and I literally bled from the eyes when looking at the new Civics. I am not convinced that the Ford Focus RS has the quality one would expect @ > $40,000, though it's a really stealthy and good looking car with 300+ HP.

The only hatchback I would currently consider is the Golf R. AWD, 300+ HP, high quality interior, superb handling - you get the picture. Though I do think that the final design of the Golf R was sent to VW's accounting department for final approval, and those folks decided to rework the design to make it as bland as possible. Although that does make it stealthy, unless you are a car guy, you really wouldn't know a Golf R from the base model Golf. So I am leaning toward the Golf R when what I really want is the M140i xDrive. I love the sweet silkiness of a BMW straight six; the effortless power of that motor is what caused me to buy my first BMW more than 25 years ago and currently has me driving my 8th BMW.

So why isn't the M140i xDrive in the USA? I keep hearing the argument that Americans don't buy hatchbacks - total bullshit! Look at all of the Mazda 3's, Subaru Imprezas, and so on out there. And arguably, all crossovers are really just a tall hatchback, and those are selling like hotcakes. My appeal to those at BMW is to bring that M140i xDrive stateside. For economies of scale, limit it to 3 models: a base with a four banger aimed squarely at getting younger buyers into a BMW early, a luxury variant with the naturally aspirated 3.0L six for Moms and Dads, and the turbocharged M140i xDrive for hoonigans like us who populate these forums. IMHO, these would sell all day long, and open another demographic to the BMW portfolio. I can't be the only one thinking about this. So hopefully someone at BMW reads these posts and carefully considers bringing these vehicles to the USA.

Any advice on what to buy, absent the 140i, from my brothers and sister here on the Forum, would be much appreciated.
1series is a compromise since RWD and hatchback doesn't work well together. Most notably you get less space inside and in the 5dr the front doors are small and it is difficult to get in and out. Therefore they need to discount it heavily in Europe in order to find buyers. Bringing this car in the US it will dent their margins.

M240i is exactly the same car in a coupe form.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 06:02 AM   #34
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SolidF20 View Post
1series is a compromise since RWD and hatchback doesn't work well together. Most notably you get less space inside and in the 5dr the front doors are small and it is difficult to get in and out. Therefore they need to discount it heavily in Europe in order to find buyers. Bringing this car in the US it will dent their margins.

M240i is exactly the same car in a coupe form.
I disagree. I find it a lot easier to get in and out of five door cars, despite being 189 cm tall. The long doors are difficult to open in tight parking lots. There is plenty of space inside the car, and could definitely live with a slightly smaller car. The rear hatch is a lot more practical than the 2-series trunk if you want to transport something like a bicycle inside.

The best selling car segment in Southern Europe is the Polo class, one size smaller than the 1-series.

Besides, the 2-series is heavily overprized compared the 1-series for no practical reasons. It is just about exclusivity and image.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 07:15 AM   #35
1SolidF20
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 118i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I disagree. I find it a lot easier to get in and out of five door cars, despite being 189 cm tall. The long doors are difficult to open in tight parking lots. There is plenty of space inside the car, and could definitely live with a slightly smaller car. The rear hatch is a lot more practical than the 2-series trunk if you want to transport something like a bicycle inside.

The best selling car segment in Southern Europe is the Polo class, one size smaller than the 1-series.

Besides, the 2-series is heavily overprized compared the 1-series for no practical reasons. It is just about exclusivity and image.
Sorry but you are confusing 5 dr FWD hatchbacks with the 1 series. Indeed the short doors are easier to open in a tight space (like my garage) but that's about the only benefit.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #36
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SolidF20 View Post
Sorry but you are confusing 5 dr FWD hatchbacks with the 1 series. Indeed the short doors are easier to open in a tight space (like my garage) but that's about the only benefit.
The Golf has a slightly larger trunk, but the difference is not all that big. 360 versus 380 litres. The Golf is more focused on practicality, while the BMW is more aimed at people who give the driving experience higher priority. That is why even the FWD Mini is smaller inside than its rivals. It has a more complicated suspension.

I see pretty much no benefits with missing back doors.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 10:05 PM   #37
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
The long doors are difficult to open in tight parking lots.
Pretty much the same as short ones. It should be more difficult to sneak in/out due to the door angle, which is a different story. In extreme circumstances there is a larger window to get in through but I never did. I had to open the passenger door and push the car free a couple of times. It's just with a smaller door you should always have it tight, even in free spaces.

I have no need even for the rear seat, not to mention doors. Rear doors steal the comfort of large front doors, some visibility, sporty look (rear doors look sadly practical)! They add rattling potential.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 12:17 AM   #38
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

In an emergency, it is even possible to use the rear hatch as exit/entry.
A larger front door is not really helping when going in and out up front, as the front seats are not behind the B-pillar anyway. If you want access to the rear seat, the rear doors are of course a lot more practical than the larger front doors.

I agree about the sporty looks. Sport cars should look unpractical.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 07:27 AM   #39
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
A larger front door is not really helping when going in and out up front, as the front seats are not behind the B-pillar anyway.
Butt-wise, perhaps, but if you have a head it looks like some inconvenience (the small version of the first image looks too small so I use them full size):

So that's the point indeed: with a 3-door you don't have to mind/touch the B-pillar, the seat is just easier to approach. And then, yes, you still have to sneak in/out if the seat is close to the dashboard/steering and this is height/reach rather than door size dependent.

Having the B-pillar as a restriction does appear to mean the door is just too small. This should be especially annoying when you are wide rather than (only) tall. I recall someone complained here of having no 3-door option (a case on many markets) and the rear doors looking wider than the front (is this really the case, feel free to click the image to open it large ):

"It's not a limousine, the owner is in front, why suffer?".
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #40
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Yes, now I remember my fat friend in the picture has a problem with the door width. :-D

Name:  BB8inF20_2s.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  167.2 KB
Appreciate 1
ttimbo280.00
      01-18-2018, 10:42 PM   #41
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:

The only hatchback I would currently consider is the Golf R. AWD, 300+ HP, high quality interior, superb handling - you get the picture. Though I do think that the final design of the Golf R was sent to VW's accounting department for final approval, and those folks decided to rework the design to make it as bland as possible. Although that does make it stealthy, unless you are a car guy, you really wouldn't know a Golf R from the base model Golf. So I am leaning toward the Golf R when what I really want is the M140i xDrive. I love the sweet silkiness of a BMW straight six; the effortless power of that motor is what caused me to buy my first BMW more than 25 years ago and currently has me driving my 8th BMW.
Unless you live in Canada or somewhere you have so much snow and sludge most of the year, you really do not need AWD.

After owning a brand new 2018 golf r, i have some things to report. It is a good car, really good car. It is quiet and can be practical, good on fuel when you are not driving it like you stole it, very slick looking.

Downsides, it is still a 4 cylinder turbo, there is no way around it. It is not smooth, you can feel it, refined maybe but not smooth (if that makes sense). Sounds like any other 4 cylinder turbo car (which we have plenty of).

It snowed very heavily here in Bavaria, i went for a drive in a BMW 340i and we had no issues at all in thick snow (granted correct tires/wheels matter). Drove the R on that exact road, same feeling.

The sound actuator (that silly hockey puck under the windscreen) failed twice, once at 1,500kms and once again at 2,000kms. It was replaced under warranty but when it failed again i just disconnected it. My dealership has a 3 week booking, so i did not bother waiting 3 weeks to sit for 2 hours to have them replace it.

As far as handling goes, mine came with horrible conti tires, body roll is a lot and on certain corners i did not feel confident at all. Other people that got the car with PSS are super happy, but i was not ready to spend €800+ on new tires on a new car which already had new tires.

The manual is horrible, no difference when shifting in a golf R, GTi or TDI, they all feel the same. The clutch is funky, till now it has an undecided bite, meaning sometimes i barely lift off the clutch and it bites, sometimes i lift a lot to get it to bite, very inconsistent (some users have deleted that check valve or remove a spring to get more direct feeling/response).

Interior is top notch, looks modern and classy at the same time, no complaints. However, i could not for the life of me, get my driver's seat just the way i want it. I am constantly moving slightly forward or backwards, side bolsters are not as supportive as i thought. Pedals have a weird spacing and heel and toe is more like side foot and toe, which is great on the street i guess, but when you need to stomp those brakes hard, it does not really work. This R really is designed for the DSG, you can feel it when driving. The electric steering (though good) is like i am playing a sim racing game with no forced feed back, just gets heavy and that's all (i can not believe chris harris said that steering feels good, maybe those press cars are calibrated differently or i got a lemon lol). The exhaust drone in race mode...it is really really bad, anywhere in the rev range and really loud.

Since this is my first brand new car, and costing me €50,000 after options, insurance, winter wheels/tires, registration etc, i decided to lease it just incase something happens. I am so glad i did, because since delivery day with 7kms on the car second gear was acting up. Every month i was at the dealership diagnosing the issue, and they confirmed that second gear synchro was faulty. They contacted VW in Wolfsburg and they asked me (yes me not the dealer) to send them a video showing them the issue.

I recorded a very clear 15 minute video and sent it to them. Two weeks later they replied "this is normal, all manual golf r vehicles shift like that". The dealership and myself could not believe their reply, so i filled out a reclamation forum to return the car, it is going back on the 29th of this month.

As i said, it is a very good car, but with the headache of my dealer, VW and the issues i had, it is my first and last VW. I am sure that i am a rare case, but we have owned numerous BMWs from new and even touch 370,000kms+ on one of them and not even the head gasket was replaced (granted the car was mainly driven by my mother and i was generally making sure all fluids/oils were topped as well as tires pressure every 2 week or so). I am sure you can get more/less the same on any other well maintained car, but that service center of mine....just hate to go back in there again.

Do you really need AWD? Ask locally about your VW dealer, most likely you will have a warranty on a used R if you choose, see what the customers are saying about them, The R will definitely use a bit more fuel than say a 300hp FWD GTI due to the heavier AWD/Haldex system, not by much but just giving you a heads up.

I apologize for the long post, but i am giving you my actual real world experience with my car, issues and dealership, hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2018, 02:27 AM   #42
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

I dive a RWD only M140i, and yes, I can ensure you that is a PERFECT daily car. I know ht you won't be able to get one of them in the U.S., but I advice you to come to Europe for a holiday brak, and go straight to the Welt to try one of them, just to understand how much you're right.

Coming back I.T. I should advice you for the Golf R, 4WD, turbo gas engine, 6 speed manual, 5 doors, hatchback. It's the perfet mix for a daily use in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #43
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head View Post
Unless you live in Canada or somewhere you have so much snow and sludge most of the year, you really do not need AWD.

After owning a brand new 2018 golf r, i have some things to report. It is a good car, really good car. It is quiet and can be practical, good on fuel when you are not driving it like you stole it, very slick looking.

Downsides, it is still a 4 cylinder turbo, there is no way around it. It is not smooth, you can feel it, refined maybe but not smooth (if that makes sense). Sounds like any other 4 cylinder turbo car (which we have plenty of).

It snowed very heavily here in Bavaria, i went for a drive in a BMW 340i and we had no issues at all in thick snow (granted correct tires/wheels matter). Drove the R on that exact road, same feeling.

The sound actuator (that silly hockey puck under the windscreen) failed twice, once at 1,500kms and once again at 2,000kms. It was replaced under warranty but when it failed again i just disconnected it. My dealership has a 3 week booking, so i did not bother waiting 3 weeks to sit for 2 hours to have them replace it.

As far as handling goes, mine came with horrible conti tires, body roll is a lot and on certain corners i did not feel confident at all. Other people that got the car with PSS are super happy, but i was not ready to spend €800+ on new tires on a new car which already had new tires.

The manual is horrible, no difference when shifting in a golf R, GTi or TDI, they all feel the same. The clutch is funky, till now it has an undecided bite, meaning sometimes i barely lift off the clutch and it bites, sometimes i lift a lot to get it to bite, very inconsistent (some users have deleted that check valve or remove a spring to get more direct feeling/response).

Interior is top notch, looks modern and classy at the same time, no complaints. However, i could not for the life of me, get my driver's seat just the way i want it. I am constantly moving slightly forward or backwards, side bolsters are not as supportive as i thought. Pedals have a weird spacing and heel and toe is more like side foot and toe, which is great on the street i guess, but when you need to stomp those brakes hard, it does not really work. This R really is designed for the DSG, you can feel it when driving. The electric steering (though good) is like i am playing a sim racing game with no forced feed back, just gets heavy and that's all (i can not believe chris harris said that steering feels good, maybe those press cars are calibrated differently or i got a lemon lol). The exhaust drone in race mode...it is really really bad, anywhere in the rev range and really loud.

Since this is my first brand new car, and costing me €50,000 after options, insurance, winter wheels/tires, registration etc, i decided to lease it just incase something happens. I am so glad i did, because since delivery day with 7kms on the car second gear was acting up. Every month i was at the dealership diagnosing the issue, and they confirmed that second gear synchro was faulty. They contacted VW in Wolfsburg and they asked me (yes me not the dealer) to send them a video showing them the issue.

I recorded a very clear 15 minute video and sent it to them. Two weeks later they replied "this is normal, all manual golf r vehicles shift like that". The dealership and myself could not believe their reply, so i filled out a reclamation forum to return the car, it is going back on the 29th of this month.

As i said, it is a very good car, but with the headache of my dealer, VW and the issues i had, it is my first and last VW. I am sure that i am a rare case, but we have owned numerous BMWs from new and even touch 370,000kms+ on one of them and not even the head gasket was replaced (granted the car was mainly driven by my mother and i was generally making sure all fluids/oils were topped as well as tires pressure every 2 week or so). I am sure you can get more/less the same on any other well maintained car, but that service center of mine....just hate to go back in there again.

Do you really need AWD? Ask locally about your VW dealer, most likely you will have a warranty on a used R if you choose, see what the customers are saying about them, The R will definitely use a bit more fuel than say a 300hp FWD GTI due to the heavier AWD/Haldex system, not by much but just giving you a heads up.

I apologize for the long post, but i am giving you my actual real world experience with my car, issues and dealership, hope this helps.
Thanks much for your very detailed post. As an FYI, I looked at a 435i Gran Coupe at my local BMW Dealer this week, nice car, but small trunk so it won't work for me. I have finally landed on a Volvo V60 Polestar, it fits my needs perfectly - AWD, 6 Cylinder, excellent performance and very stealthy. It's a shame though, I would have really liked the M140i.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 08:55 AM   #44
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
I dive a RWD only M140i, and yes, I can ensure you that is a PERFECT daily car. I know ht you won't be able to get one of them in the U.S., but I advice you to come to Europe for a holiday brak, and go straight to the Welt to try one of them, just to understand how much you're right.

Coming back I.T. I should advice you for the Golf R, 4WD, turbo gas engine, 6 speed manual, 5 doors, hatchback. It's the perfet mix for a daily use in my opinion.
I just bought a M140i and I can tell you .. It's a worth and definitely daily car.

Anyone knows if there's threads or topics to follow about M140i ...

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 0