BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > How the 0.1% live.

06-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #45
Wolf
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: on hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto
Check out this impressive pad, in the City of Westminster, central London, England. We are talking prime South West 1A postal code here.

It is over 721,000 sq ft !

The current owner also has a castle ... you read that right ... a 590,00 sq ft castle, set in 5,455 acres of parkland, just 22 miles down the road, in Windsor.

And you will scarcely believe that she has ANOTHER castle, in Scotland, with one of the largest deer and game hunting estates in the whole of Great Britain : approximately 50,000 acres.

Incredible ... imagine the size of the flat screen you would need in the main living room ... simply wow !

This makes me happy about my 1500 sq ft apartment thank you
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 03:49 PM   #46
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto View Post
Check out this impressive pad, in the City of Westminster, central London, England. We are talking prime South West 1A postal code here.

It is over 721,000 sq ft !

The current owner also has a castle ... you read that right ... a 590,00 sq ft castle, set in 5,455 acres of parkland, just 22 miles down the road, in Windsor.

And you will scarcely believe that she has ANOTHER castle, in Scotland, with one of the largest deer and game hunting estates in the whole of Great Britain : approximately 50,000 acres.

Incredible ... imagine the size of the flat screen you would need in the main living room ... simply wow !
She wears hideous green clothes you can see from space, though.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #47
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

When I win PowerBall, first thing I'm going to do is replace the baseball field where my son played all his years.

Then I'm going to find some nice farmland and raise a few alpacas.

Oh, and quit working at my current job, and go volunteer to help school kids.

And get a new "ice Cream" van, because all those kids need an uncle to give them ice cream
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 02:36 AM   #48
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Relative wealth is perhaps as important or more important for happiness than absolute wealth (within limits, of course). If you're barely a top 0.1%-er living amongst top 0.01%-ers, you're going to be (relatively) miserable trying (and failing) to "keep up with the Joneses"

That holds true down the line. By far most millionaires have net worths within the $1M to $10M range, but the happiest among them are those that live in more middle class neighborhoods where their neighbors' net worth is lower across the board.

Now, obviously if you had the chance to be worth $10 million and live amongst hecto-millionaires versus being worth $500,000 and live amongst bottom 10%-ers, no one in their right mind would choose the latter, but it's an interesting concept.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 03:09 AM   #49
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX
Relative wealth is perhaps as important or more important for happiness than absolute wealth (within limits, of course). If you're barely a top 0.1%-er living amongst top 0.01%-ers, you're going to be (relatively) miserable trying (and failing) to "keep up with the Joneses"

That holds true down the line. By far most millionaires have net worths within the $1M to $10M range, but the happiest among them are those that live in more middle class neighborhoods where their neighbors' net worth is lower across the board.

Now, obviously if you had the chance to be worth $10 million and live amongst hecto-millionaires versus being worth $500,000 and live amongst bottom 10%-ers, no one in their right mind would choose the latter, but it's an interesting concept.
I'm a multi-thousandaire.
      06-15-2016, 06:25 AM   #50
phil_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post

I've seen this first hand. A .1% trying to keep up with the .01%. It's mind boggling to see these people's lives.

You'd figure someone with 100's of million would be satisfied. I can't fathom having that and being jealous of a billionaire. It just goes to show greed, for most, never stops.
      06-15-2016, 06:35 AM   #51
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
this is in my backyard...you guys have no idea the crazy shit that goes on. Jen selter's mom fucked my friend...he was her landscaper...

Like when the rich people come out, long island (hamptons) are their playground

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 09:46 AM   #52
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernoob View Post
I know some 1%'rs. They don't live in places like in those pictures at all. But they do have one heck of a strong code.
I think you mean 1/10 of 1%'ers, right? Or maybe you did mean 1%. A 1%'er can no way live in a 30,000 sq ft home, not even in a swamp. You guys do know what the cutoff for being a 1%'er is, right? It's not that much (yes it's ~ 10X the average, but even a 1%'er cannot afford 2 kids in college).

1%'ers is not a big deal. It's like saying you are in the top 1% for SAT's or ACTs, everyone is that goes to a good school.

I was happy when I first opened my Goldman Sachs account. But I'm still here, posting, aren't I? I have more in common with the lower 99%, than I do with the top 0.1%, for real.

Didn't I even say our dream is a decked out 3,500 sq. ft. house with a 3 car garage, and there is a chance we will never get it? There are those in this thread who already have it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 09:56 AM   #53
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
I'm a multi-thousandaire.
Lucky
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #54
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

In all honesty, i just see these places as a waste of cash even if i am crazy insane rich. There's no way to enjoy this space.

I'd prefer a relatively modest 5,000 sq ft home with a 10 car garage, say a couple of acres and a beach front view. Maybe have a few of these pads across the globe rather than some monolithic place that never feels like home.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #55
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I think you mean 1/10 of 1%'ers, right? Or maybe you did mean 1%. A 1%'er can no way live in a 30,000 sq ft home, not even in a swamp. You guys do know what the cutoff for being a 1%'er is, right? It's not that much (yes it's ~ 10X the average, but even a 1%'er cannot afford 2 kids in college).

1%'ers is not a big deal. It's like saying you are in the top 1% for SAT's or ACTs, everyone is that goes to a good school.

I was happy when I first opened my Goldman Sachs account. But I'm still here, posting, aren't I? I have more in common with the lower 99%, than I do with the top 0.1%, for real.

Didn't I even say our dream is a decked out 3,500 sq. ft. house with a 3 car garage, and there is a chance we will never get it? There are those in this thread who already have it.
True stuff. According to the last chart I saw about income, Wifey and I are in the top 6% or maybe even 7% going strictly by income level. We live comfortably and have decent liquidity, very minor debt (mortgage paid up in 2 years, then no debt), but we're hardly "wealthy." But then I think that 93% of people in the US are in worse shape than us? That's shocking to me. I know there are people making way more than us who are in way worse financial health due to bad luck or bad planning. But just driving around our county you can see *lots* of people who are effectively living in poverty. That's just scary.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 10:30 AM   #56
MrSlacker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 LBB

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #57
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

^^^What I just said above, only in pictures. Nicely done.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #58
MrSlacker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 LBB

It is pretty interesting to read this discussion on E9X M3 forum. I am a big E30 fan and owned a bunch of them. Everyone on those forums thinks that spending more than $2,000 on a car is a waste of money and there is no need to get anything nice.

Then I come here and see exhausts for $4,000 and diffusers for $500 - crazy!

Most of my friends think I instantly became mega rich because I got a used E92 M3. No one remembers to mention that I work 14+ hours a day, barely sleep and build everything from scratch on my own.

Even people who inherited their money should not be hated on because if anyone of us will have an option to leave our kids / grandkids millions of dollars, we would all do it in a heart beat.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #59
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlacker View Post

Even people who inherited their money should not be hated on because if anyone of us will have an option to leave our kids / grandkids millions of dollars, we would all do it in a heart beat.
No I wanna spend my last dollar then die.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #60
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlacker View Post
My motorhome will be plastered with "Wasting my grandkids' inheritance" bumper stickers, while I blow the reverse-mortgage money in Good Sam/National parks across the nation
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #61
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
My motorhome will be plastered with "Wasting my grandkids' inheritance" bumper stickers, while I blow the reverse-mortgage money in Good Sam/National parks across the nation
That motorhome going to have a big window where you can sell ice cream to kids?

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #62
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 12:14 PM   #63
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Pretty sure a 1% salary could afford your dream home in 99.9% of neighborhoods.

1%er salary is like 2 people making an average of $215k per year. Think about the availability of jobs that make that and the likelihood that two people in one household have that position.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #64
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
True stuff. According to the last chart I saw about income, Wifey and I are in the top 6% or maybe even 7% going strictly by income level. We live comfortably and have decent liquidity, very minor debt (mortgage paid up in 2 years, then no debt), but we're hardly "wealthy." But then I think that 93% of people in the US are in worse shape than us? That's shocking to me. I know there are people making way more than us who are in way worse financial health due to bad luck or bad planning. But just driving around our county you can see *lots* of people who are effectively living in poverty. That's just scary.
Where is said chart? Am curious how the distributions are.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #65
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Where is said chart? Am curious to see how much money you make.
FTFY
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #66
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Where is said chart? Am curious how the distributions are.
You're in for a shock and a reality check. We as human beings only see the greener side, there's a shit ton of desert out there man.
Appreciate 0