BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Will Self-Driving Cars Kill the M Car?

02-25-2016, 08:35 AM   #23
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
I honestly don't think it will ever happen here. All self driving cars need to be able to see the road to work. Any area with heavy snow, and self driving cars can not work. Most of our cars at Acura now have a lot of features that will be required on self driving cars, like Lane Keep Assist, automatic braking etc etc etc. These features do not work when there is snow on the road, or snow build up on the windshield blocking the cameras.
None of those things are completely impossible to resolve with more technology and innovation. In time self driving cars - or indeed any autonomous machine - will be more capable, more precise, stronger/faster/smarter, more reliable, than humans.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 09:39 AM   #24
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

I don't think it will. Self driving cars are for peopl who can't or don't like to drive. M cars are for people who love to drive. Unless it becomes Illegal to drive your own car there will always be briber enthusiast that will support the drivers car.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #25
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
I don't think it will. Self driving cars are for peopl who can't or don't like to drive. M cars are for people who love to drive. Unless it becomes Illegal to drive your own car there will always be briber enthusiast that will support the drivers car.
Will manual transmissions disappear if and only if it becomes illegal to drive a car with a manual transmission?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #26
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Will manual transmissions disappear if and only if it becomes illegal to drive a car with a manual transmission?
Manuals are certainly less available then before but certainly still available for the enthusiasts. Isn't Prosche going to back to release a manual?

A driving enthusiast can still be a driving enthusiast with DCT IMO.

It's an interest question, but to be honest I'm 38 so givin I will never be forced to drive a self driving car I really don't care.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 10:11 AM   #27
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Manuals are certainly less available then before but certainly still available for the enthusiasts. Isn't Prosche going to back to release a manual?

...... I will never be forced to drive a self driving car I really don't care.
I'm with you on both, manuals and self driving cars, however, my guess is that more than 70% of people don't care for either.

As I said, earlier, lots to discuss before this is reality. Who owns/controls/is certified to sell us sensors, cameras, maps and navigation, how secure from hacking these are. It's a work in progress, but I can see car being a product that will enable various companies to sell software "services", security, "better" maps, bad weather package, parking passes... you name it. I can totally see "subscription fees" for almost everything in addition to cost of car and maintenance

And then soon to follow, we all take a daily "nutrition pill", and a "beer/wine pill" with it then go make love to "almost life like" robot, and claim it's just "better for us" as it eliminates all potential downsides of humans perhaps overcooking or eating unhealthy meal, having too much alcohol, or maybe not performing well with real partner
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2016, 10:28 AM   #28
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

No I don't think so, not any time soon at least.

Self driving cars have a longgggg way to go before they're viable. They have a lot of trouble handling rain and wet conditions, as well as how to handle potholes.

It would be nice though, since with self driving cars, theoretically I-66 would never be congested, such a site would blow my damn mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #29
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Don't get me wrong, I am ALL for them. Then the idiots that can't/don't know how to drive can just sit back and let the car do it and not block the left lane at 20 under the limit. It will keep them out of the way of people who WANT to drive.

I just don't see how it is possible in our climate. Cali sure, but not here.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #30
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i (holy crap!)

even if you have this:

sometimes you'll need this:
      02-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #31
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Manuals are certainly less available then before but certainly still available for the enthusiasts.
But if they do disappear, it isn't going to be because they are outlawed.

It is going to be because not enough of the people who are buying cars want one anymore. The same can, and probably will, happen with non-autonomous cars.

That being said, I do think that there will be room in the marketplace for high performance autonomous cars along with more pedestrian autonomous cars just as there are both types of non-autonomous cars today. Perhaps this possibility will allow for the M brand and similar brands to live on past the end of this century.

Quote:
A driving enthusiast can still be a driving enthusiast with DCT IMO.
Agree. Similarly, I suspect that automotive enthusiasts in general will still find ways of being automotive enthusiasts even without having to actually pilot their vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #32
Bad Robot
No, dear, you wouldn't like driv.. LOOK! SQUIRREL!
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Sakhir/Black Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
And it was like 20 seconds slower than pro driver.
Um, actually... it was a 2015 RS7 at the 2.5-mile Ascari track in Spain.

Robot: 2:15.9. Admittedly stupid human: 2:15.7.

That's only a two-tenths advantage to stupid human over robot.

They're heeeerrrrrre...

2015 M4, Sakhir/Black Merino, DCT, LEDs, 19-inch, Harmon-Kardon, Executive Package, Driver Assistance. Sit down. Buckle up. Mash that button yonder. Flick that lever to the right. Mash that other button on the steering wheel, twice. Now punch that pedallLLLAHHH!

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #33
Bad Robot
No, dear, you wouldn't like driv.. LOOK! SQUIRREL!
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Sakhir/Black Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
And it was like 20 seconds slower than pro driver.
I think the other link was wrong. Try this one for the Audi RS7 almost beating stupid human:

2015 M4, Sakhir/Black Merino, DCT, LEDs, 19-inch, Harmon-Kardon, Executive Package, Driver Assistance. Sit down. Buckle up. Mash that button yonder. Flick that lever to the right. Mash that other button on the steering wheel, twice. Now punch that pedallLLLAHHH!

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 03:45 PM   #34
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

I've posted about this issue previously: I don't think it will happen anytime soon (i.e., 15-20 years) because with an autonomous vehicle, culpability for a mishap -- and they will happen -- will fall not on the operator or the passenger, but on the manufacturer or the system operating the vehicle. Squarely, unequivocally, and litigiously. It will completely change the fabric of not only the auto industry, but the insurance industry as well.

My argument? Warfare. Drones, cruise missiles, and the like all miss sooner or later. Who's culpable? The government operating the pilotless machinery -- not the operator, not the conditions, not the circumstances.

Besides: with autonomous vehicles sharing roads with conventionally operated ones, there will be a segment of the latter who will try, intentionally or not, to cause havoc among the former. Think motorcycle hooliganism, or the odd teen-ager roaring down a residential street in a Z28, or the illegal (and uninsured) driving at or below the speed limit in a 20-year-old Corolla with a rusty undercarriage and bent rim but who thinks he has to drive that car the same way he drives it in, say, Bogota, or Mexico City, or Tegucigalpa.

The technology's great. But, like all game-changing technologies, it won't be adopted overnight. It will be adopted slowly ... and probably not completely for decades.
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2016, 03:47 PM   #35
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Self driving will kill human driving but not M cars. Could there be a self driven M car?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #36
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Id own a self driving car as a second car IF you were allowed to drink in the car while it was driving itself. Would be the perfect night out mobile. I wouldnt have to wait for cabs, or sit in their filth back seats. A self driving luxury sedan.

Best would be if it could drop you off at the restaurant then find itself a parking spot.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #37
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i (holy crap!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bimmer77 View Post
Self driving will kill human driving but not M cars. Could there be a self driven M car?
Will there be a self-driving Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, etc.? If people are willing to pay for it, it will happen. But, what it will mean to have a self-driving M car is interesting. Stiffer suspension? Sport styling (in and out) and features (think seats and screens)? Probably. But what about the engine. They'll likely give you an engine with 500ish hp and lbft. You just won't get any benefit out of it until you take it to your local self-driving track or drag strip. What you will certainly get is ///M power ASD, so even when you aren't going fast, at least it will sound like you are.
      02-25-2016, 09:01 PM   #38
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
Um, actually... it was a 2015 RS7 at the 2.5-mile Ascari track in Spain.

Robot: 2:15.9. Admittedly stupid human: 2:15.7.

That's only a two-tenths advantage to stupid human over robot.

They're heeeerrrrrre...

The one I saw was in car mag and pro whipped it's ass.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 07:33 AM   #39
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGatorBacon View Post
Will there be a self-driving Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, etc.? If people are willing to pay for it, it will happen. But, what it will mean to have a self-driving M car is interesting. Stiffer suspension? Sport styling (in and out) and features (think seats and screens)? Probably. But what about the engine. They'll likely give you an engine with 500ish hp and lbft. You just won't get any benefit out of it until you take it to your local self-driving track or drag strip. What you will certainly get is ///M power ASD, so even when you aren't going fast, at least it will sound like you are.
I'm sorry, but I just have to laugh at this. What exactly is the point of owning an autonomous Ferrari et.al.? The point of these machines is the interaction with the driver. No one, regardless of how wealthy are not going to buy an exotic autonomous automobile.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #40
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

I saw a piece on a Toronto news show a few weeks back, it's already legal in Ontario and they had this guy and his Tesla driving on the Don Valley Parkway and 401, no hands on the wheel car making lane changes. It is perfectly legal, as long as a licensed driver is behind the wheel and it's happening now. Frankly I have no interest in this, I like driving and I don't see me ever doing this...but those millenials are a different story.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #41
Schulz
Rep
Drives: 535i

Self-drive cars are the perfect solution for those who don't know how to drive e.g. my wife can't drive though she's tried to learn. She would love to be independent by owning a self-drive car. But for those who love driving, it's not so great.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #42
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
No one, regardless of how wealthy are [not] going to buy an exotic autonomous automobile.
That's a prediction that I think you will find it difficult to get a lot of support for.

When you already have individuals at all income levels whose motivation for owning desirable vehicles includes to be seen in or to advertise social status, it is unlikely that taking away the driving component will curb the enthusiasm of this type of buyer.

Not only that, but there will always be higher end features that automakers can market toward wealthy buyers. Even if it means focusing more on luxurious appointments or higher end electronics, there is always going to be something for the customer willing to spare no expense.

Ask yourself if it is genuinely reasonable to believe that - even if non-autonomous driving were to become illegal some day - a company like Ferrari is simply going to throw in the towel and say "That's it - we're out!". Not a chance.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #43
RoundelObsession
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: S65M3

Autonomous automobiles are a terrible idea. These things will be used to control your movements and under the guise of environmental issues (think carbon taxes) will be used to tax you per mile. Another ramification of these things is that if you are considered by the government (for any reason) not eligible to drive, you will be restricted from driving. I think this is one of the worst things possible for a free society.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 10:13 AM   #44
anglocanadian
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M Sport Edition

This could be a quicker way to work if you dont mind riding pillion

http://www.insidemotorcycles.com/blo...ino-rossi.html

Appreciate 0