BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > My son is a knucklehead!

07-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Vert

My son is a knucklehead!

Okay, perhaps I'll feel differently tomorrow. My son drives 90 miles at 75 miles per hour in 4th gear (automatic) in a 2001 Volvo V70 wagon.

Car indicator light starts flashing and says stop immediately. After inspection and oil everywhere, he basically melted the engine, because he apparent drove the car with no oil in it - probably burning a good chunk of it running 75 mph in 4th gear.

After about 3k in service and 3.5k purchase, all down the tubes because he was bored. Also, he says, "I didn't know he needed to check the oil."

Sorry for venting, I still love him.

Last edited by GlobalScientist; 08-04-2015 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
AlpineE92M3
Currently Driving
Rep
Drives: BPM tuned '13 AW ZCP E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Soooo, ur talking about the Volvo right? Not the M4? It sucks either way but hopefully not the M4? Is ur son a car guy or doesn't really know much about them?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 09:51 PM   #3
Jashley73
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i 6-M/T

Telling someone they've done something stupid, and actually calling them stupid (idiot in your case,) are two different things. Watch those words of yours - especially toward your child... After all, no one was hurt, so its a really just scrap metal in the grand scheme of things. I'd be pretty upset if I read those things said about me, especially if it came from my own parents...

As to the money and repairs, make him responsible and make it hurt. If he's negligent to the car, and loves his sports, certainly you could work out an appropriate "punishment" in such a way that is fair, and teaches responsibility...?
Appreciate 2
      07-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #4
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

get him a 1997 SOHC civic 1.6
very hard to kill it, even if he drove without oil it'll probably still run for another 500 miles at 75 mph
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #5
Zarilia
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP DCT Silverston

That goes right along with the people that would bring their cars into the dealership service department saying that it must be time for an oil change because the check oil light has been on for the last week...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #6
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalScientist View Post
Okay, perhaps I'll feel differently tomorrow. My son drives 90 miles at 75 miles per hour in 4th gear (automatic) in a 2001 Volvo V70 wagon.

He is a junior meathead football player who fits the profile of a dumb jock.

Car indicator light starts flashing and says stop immediately. After inspection and oil everywhere, he basically melted the engine, because he apparent drove the car with no oil in it - probably burning a good chunk of it running 75 mph in 4th gear.

After about 3k in service and 3.5k purchase, all down the tubes because he was bored. Also, he says, "I didn't know he needed to check the oil."

While I don't force him to do the same studious things I did when I was in school, he is such a dolt.

Sounds like he is going to have to walk, or work for the next car. lol

Sorry.. but it could of been worse..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 12:28 AM   #7
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

He is a junior meathead football player who fits the profile of a dumb jock.

While I don't force him to do the same studious things I did when I was in school, he is such a dolt.

Okay, you hit a sore point. My dad used to call me an idiot and I hated him for it until the day he died. Turns out I was smarter than him, but that's another story.

You precious son, the future of our planet, broke your Volvo. Given your lofty title as a global scientist must put a lot of pressure on this poor boy. I mean, how could he ever measure up to that?

You use words like apparently and possibly; were you in the car when the engine melting took place? You say he drove in 4th gear. The V70 4th gear ratio is .87 to 1 which is very close to 7th gear in our F30 8ATs, certainly not enough to melt an engine in and of itself. Is is possible that the car simply broke while he was driving it?

The owner of a company I worked for accused the VP of Sales of ruining a company car in much the same way. The VP of Sales was a car buff and knew he had done nothing wrong, yet the owner just couldn't let it go. The VP quit and went to work for the competitor and has spent the past 30 years kicking that owners ass in the market. Turns out there was a known problem for that engine and a recall was forthcoming, but not in time to stop the damaged relationship.

No car is worth your relationship with your son. I'm sure he feels badly enough as it is. Maybe a teachable moment would be a good idea so he can explain to his son or daughter about how cars work and how to take car of them.

Good luck!

Last edited by sygazelle; 07-29-2015 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 4
      07-28-2015, 12:45 AM   #8
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Time.for some father son car mechanic classes. Kids are all dumb they haven't had near the level of experiences. I was an idiot also and am fully functioning non window licker adult.

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 07-28-2015 at 12:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 12:50 AM   #9
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Okay, you hit a sore point. My dad used to call me an idiot and I hated him for it until the day he died. Turns out I was smarter than him, but that's another story.

You precious son, the future of our planet, broke your Volvo. Given your lofty title as a global scientist must put a lot of pressure on this poor boy. I mean, how could he ever measure up to that?

You use words like apparently and possibly; were you in the car when the engine melting took place? You say he drove in 4th gear. The V70 4th gear ratio is .87 to 1 which is very close to 7th gear in our F30 8ATs, certainly not enough to melt an engine in and of itself. Is is possible that the car simply broke while he was driving it?

The owner of a company I worked for accused the VP of Sales of ruining a company car in much the same way. The VP of Sales was a car buff and knew he had done nothing wrong, yet the owner just couldn't let it go. The VP quit and went to work for the competitor and has spent the past 30 years kicking that owners ass in the market. Turns out there was a known problem for that engine and a recall was forthcoming, but not in time to stop the damaged relationship.

No car is work your relationship with your son. I'm sure he feels badly enough as it is. Maybe a teachable moment would be a good idea so he can explain to his son or daughter about how cars work and how to take car of them.

Good luck!
Read post #7. Grenading the engine isn't the only stupid thing his son has done.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 01:05 AM   #10
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i View Post
Read post #7. Grenading the engine isn't the only stupid thing his son has done.

The OP calls his son a dolt, a dumb jock, a meathead, and and idiot. The Volvo incident could have been his fault. Also, it could have been something else. The OP is taking a chance blaming his kid and calling him these kind of names on ruining their relationship. Even if the boy did break the car, is it worth it to call him all kinds of hurtful names? The list you mention in post #7 does not add up to squat. There are many parents out there who wish there kids were average and said stupid things.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 01:20 AM   #11
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Damn it's some sappy people on this forum. So your parent calls you an idiot, Calls you dumb, people say things they don't really mean in the moment all the time. doesn't mean he doesn't love him, doesn't mean his son will hate him for the rest of his life, just means his son did something idiotic. At the end of the op's post he said through it all he loved his son. Done. All that matters.
      07-28-2015, 01:32 AM   #12
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
The OP calls his son a dolt, a dumb jock, a meathead, and and idiot. The Volvo incident could have been his fault. Also, it could have been something else. The OP is taking a chance blaming his kid and calling him these kind of names on ruining their relationship. Even if the boy did break the car, is it worth it to call him all kinds of hurtful names? The list you mention in post #7 does not add up to squat. There are many parents out there who wish there kids were average and said stupid things.
I don't feel like its a bad thing, if you explain why, so hopefully he can learn from his mistakes.

Maybe his son wasn't disciplined enough as a child?
It would've been a whipping/spanking with the closest object my mom could find for any of the things listed in post #7.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #13
Jashley73
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i 6-M/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
Damn it's some sappy people on this forum. So your parent calls you an idiot, Calls you dumb, people say things they don't really mean in the moment all the time. doesn't mean he doesn't love him, doesn't mean his son will hate him for the rest of his life, just means his son did something idiotic. At the end of the op's post he said through it all he loved his son. Done. All that matters.
As for someone calling me stupid - whatever, I'm a big boy and have tough skin. In my opinion, everyone should put on their thickest skin, and not take such insults to heart. However, one should not use insulting labels (Son, you're an idiot...) towards family and close friends - these people's words will generally carry more weight and cut the deepest.

When I was 17, if someone called me an idiot I wouldn't really care. But if my brothers, mom, dad, or grandparents were to call me stupid, that would've done some damage...
----------------------------------------------------

Again, I'll say...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashley73
Telling someone they've done something stupid, and actually calling them stupid (idiot in your case,) are two different things...
In my everyday job, I have to train production operators, as well as fix their screw ups. So it's part of my job that I have to tell someone that what they did was a stupid thing. If I lead the conversation with "You're stupid!" (which I never do...) how do you think things are going to go? Keep in mind some of these guys are bigger than me, rougher than me, and have a lot less to lose. See where I'm going with this? Instead I lead with, "Well, tell me what happened..." and then some time later, I follow up with, "So, you realize what you did was pretty stupid, right? So here's what we're going to do about it, and here's what we're going to do next time." Much different outcomes to the conversation...

In the OP's case, he says his son is an idiot, meathead, jock type. Question - is he bigger than you? Because when he was little his punches might not carry some weight, but at his age now I'd be thinking real hard about calling my teenage son an idiot...

Anyway, I'm glad you still love him for what it's worth...
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #14
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive

In defense of the OP, he may have THAT relationship with his son where he can call him an idiot and he may not be hurt or devastated by it. He also points out where his son has a certain almost carefree mentality and to that you gotta let kids know when they're f*cking up before its too late(hell hes a Junior)

At the end of the day, its better he hears these things from his father, rather than his future employer. Hell look at the Wonder Years, Fred Savage turned out great and his father always called him an idiot.

I personally laughed and thought it was hilarious.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #15
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Ah wonder years!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #16
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeveryday
In defense of the OP, he may have THAT relationship with his son where he can call him an idiot and he may not be hurt or devastated by it. He also points out where his son has a certain almost carefree mentality and to that you gotta let kids know when they're f*cking up before its too late(hell hes a Junior)

At the end of the day, its better he hears these things from his father, rather than his future employer.

I personally laughed and thought it was hilarious.
Yes but to post it on a public forum where his son could read it, then go on to defend the label by listing out "stupid" shit he has done over the years. Seems a bit much, no?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #17
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Make him ride a bike or walk everywhere. It will teach him real quick how important it is to take care of things we cant replace.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #18
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

I might be a softie, but I'm real glad my dad doesn't call me an idiot. God knows I've given him a chance or two.
      07-28-2015, 11:04 AM   #19
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
When he was 8 years old, when he was playing with his friends hide and seek, he pretended to be the wrestler John Cena saying he was invisible saying, "you can't see me" waving his hand in front of his face.
LOL crazy that you remember this after 10 years as a reason to hate him
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #20
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Good venting! I know kids make idiotic decisions - that's what my kids do and of course what I did!

I'm just thinking I'll pick up a Volvo so they stay from my other cars - to mitigate the damages!

Dad is just venting - nothing wrong with that...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #21
infidel335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

People get smarter, or learn faster, if they have to provide for themselves. Maybe see how quickly he figures out when he has to pay his own way and buy his own stuff.

335xi: JB4 G5 | KW V1s | muffler delete | BMS DCI | VRSF 7" FMIC | VMR v703 18x8 | and your mom
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #22
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
Yes but to post it on a public forum where his son could read it, then go on to defend the label by listing out "stupid" shit he has done over the years. Seems a bit much, no?
I guess... I just know every house hold is different and parenting styles vary greatly. To me this is no different than the old argument of parents who beat there kids vs. parents who don't.
Appreciate 0