BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Safety belt locked

04-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
beamer116
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Sport

Safety belt locked

It happens sometimes. I enter the car and cannot put on the safety belt because it seems to be locked. Usually after a few seconds dragging it gently it unlocks. But this does not always work and sometimes I have to turn on the engine and wait a few seconds before it unlocks. This is annoying and I fear that maybe one day it stays locked for good. Does anybody have experienced that? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #2
jay_a_a
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 116i sportline

I had the same thing not long ago. It has only happened once.
I was in a rush to go and spent about 15 mins trying to get it out. When i went to use the car again i adjusted the seat back and it cam loose. Very strange.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #3
VernM135
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2013 M135i

Seatbelt locked

Had the same issue, seatbelt locked after i got into the car...previously it was fine.
Then couldnt get it unlocked, doesnt matter what u do. Spent 2 hours trying.
Drove to dealership, the guy pulled it twice and it unlocked..murphys law

they gonna order another one, but havent heard from them since..2 months now.
It has locked up about twice since then, but at least unlocked after a few minutes playing with it :/
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
beamer116
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Sport

Does it do it all the time or only in some cases? Waiting for minutes to unlock is a lot. It only takes me a few seconds, Still it is annoying. This should normally be fixed with some software upgrade. Right?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

The seat belt tension assembly has a tilt feature that reacts to any sudden tilt of the car.
This sometimes occurs when you jump in quickly and try to pull the belt whilst the car is still fluctuating or swaying. If you gently push or feed the belt back into the keeper it should release.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
mikebenser
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i

Seat belt tensioner oversensitive

Have any of you experienced the seat belt activating (locking) very sensitively? It's supposed to activate of course when decelerating rather quickly, but mine does it seemingly all the time, just driving around town, when turning to look behind me, driving on a bumpy road, etc. It's REALLY annoying, but when I told this to the BMW dealership they basically blew me off and said it was operating as intended. I've been in some cars that had a sensitive seat belt, but this one really tops the chart. Any help?!?!
Appreciate 0