BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Whistling/howling wind noise! 118i Sportline

05-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
AlexRSA
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i Sporline Black

Whistling/howling wind noise! 118i Sportline

I have a very irritating whistling/howling wind noise when driving at speeds greater than 70mph.

The wind noise and road noise that enters the cabin is also very high and very irritating.

Has anyone else experienced this or have a possible cause?

I have read on the F30 forums that this seams to be an issue and is caused by faulty windscreen seals?

Car is booked for Monday, I'll keep everyone posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRSA View Post
I have a very irritating whistling/howling wind noise when driving at speeds greater than 70mph.

The wind noise and road noise that enters the cabin is also very high and very irritating.

Has anyone else experienced this or have a possible cause?

I have read on the F30 forums that this seams to be an issue and is caused by faulty windscreen seals?

Car is booked for Monday, I'll keep everyone posted.
I wouldn't advertise to your dealer that you have been driving at speeds greater than 70mph
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
Viva87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 118i sport

I had this problem simple fix for me switch ON all the Air VENTS in the cabin if any are off a howling noise is created
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

if the noise only appears at +70mph it's probably a bad seal somewhere.

The air-vent-whistling viva87 mention seems pretty common, I had it aswell. Think it's gone now, haven't noticed it for a while atleast. Don't know it I just got used to it, or if it healed itself and went away, or if I always play music so I don't hear it =)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
Pops-NV
Rep
Drives: Bmw 118i F20 2012

ive noticed the same noise on my 118i recently but attributed it to windy conditons or driving in the open as opposed to drivin between bulidings..my car is goin in for a knock on the steering ( when stationary if you play with the steerin wheel theres a knockin sound as if something is loose) goin in 2nd time for this and im only on 7000km. will have them check the noise thing out. Its most inconvenient and irratating.My sales guy understands my frustration but the service dept doesnt
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
AlexRSA
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i Sporline Black

Car at BMW, service dept has detected the "whistle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops-NV View Post
ive noticed the same noise on my 118i recently but attributed it to windy conditons or driving in the open as opposed to drivin between bulidings..my car is goin in for a knock on the steering ( when stationary if you play with the steerin wheel theres a knockin sound as if something is loose) goin in 2nd time for this and im only on 7000km. will have them check the noise thing out. Its most inconvenient and irratating.My sales guy understands my frustration but the service dept doesnt
I've had a loose panel on the passenger side of the dash which caused a bad rattle, on the way to the dealer I had a low coolant warning light coming on. The good news is that they agree that there is a "whistling" noise and are trying to fix it, hopefully they get it right.

I'll keep you posted on the solution.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 04:06 AM   #7
Grek
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 116d 2012 (soon)

Hi
Same here....
Did you manage to get that fixed? How?
Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Quote:
I've had a loose panel on the passenger side of the dash which caused a bad rattle, on the way to the dealer I had a low coolant warning light coming on. The good news is that they agree that there is a "whistling" noise and are trying to fix it, hopefully they get it right.

Bloody hell, these issues are annoying. I have a loose heatshield or something which has been causing a feint rattle as the turbo spools up. Today it escalated to a full-on vibration at 3500rpm. Coupled with the squeeky/groaning steeering, a rattle has also appeared on the passenger side, but it's intermittent so tricky to track down...

I'm going to phone SMG on Monday and book it in again, also only at 6400km.

My Renault Megane didn't have any issues at all until 25000km!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 01:36 AM   #9
dj john
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: 118d performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHattingh
Quote:

Bloody hell, these issues are annoying. I have a loose heatshield or something which has been causing a feint rattle as the turbo spools up. Today it escalated to a full-on vibration at 3500rpm. Coupled with the squeeky/groaning steeering, a rattle has also appeared on the passenger side, but it's intermittent so tricky to track down...

I'm going to phone SMG on Monday and book it in again, also only at 6400km.

My Renault Megane didn't have any issues at all until 25000km!
Thats whay i wait 2 years before i buy a new model.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj john View Post
Thats whay i wait 2 years before i buy a new model.
Yep, my Megane was the final LCI before the new generation, so thoroughly ironed-out.
Appreciate 0