BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > A45AMG Drag race

06-14-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
Active
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMWM235i and 2013 E92 M3

A45AMG Drag race

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Impressive for the A45..., but to me it is just another car. I wish they pitch it against the M135i or xi or RS3/S3 with Tiff doing his usual Tiff things No tailing out stuff with the A45 AMG I guess....
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i (soon)

It's actually a proper quick little car isn't it. 4.1 seconds 0-60mph which is almost half a second quicker than any M135i 0-60 time i've seen (stock anyway) and 12.6 to do the 1/4@112mph. Which compared to fast laps times for the M135i is quite a bit quicker tbh. The M135i clocked the 1/4 Mile in 13.2@109Mph. But are those figures really £6k better than what BMW offer from the M135i, thats the question
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Buck View Post
It's actually a proper quick little car isn't it. 4.1 seconds 0-60mph which is almost half a second quicker than any M135i 0-60 time i've seen (stock anyway) and 12.6 to do the 1/4@112mph. Which compared to fast laps times for the M135i is quite a bit quicker tbh. The M135i clocked the 1/4 Mile in 13.2@109Mph. But are those figures really £6k better than what BMW offer from the M135i, thats the question
Didn't Chris Harris clocked 4.4 to 60 with a 8 Speed auto M135i while he was drag racing an RS3?

I think an xdrive M135i would be pretty close to A45AMG even if AMG would still win. It looks like as fast as a similarly equipped RS3 or TT-RS on a straight line.

The remaining question is if it is as boring as the Audis too. I hope next M2 will not fall in the trap of playing the same game with these DCT/AUTO/ADAPTIVE/4X4 etc. etc. fast little cars and follow its own BMW M roots or think about the Alfa 4C or Renault/Caterham Alpine as the real competition.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Didn't Chris Harris clocked 4.4 to 60 with a 8 Speed auto M135i while he was drag racing an RS3?

I think an xdrive M135i would be pretty close to A45AMG even if AMG would still win. It looks like as fast as a similarly equipped RS3 or TT-RS on a straight line.

The remaining question is if it is as boring as the Audis too. I hope next M2 will not fall in the trap of playing the same game with these DCT/AUTO/ADAPTIVE/4X4 etc. etc. fast little cars and follow its own BMW M roots or think about the Alfa 4C or Renault/Caterham Alpine as the real competition.
Yeah I think your right, it was something like 4.45 from the RWD 8 speed. Evo and Top gear both seem to think its less potent than the BMW and even the Audi tbh. I think from a standing start thanks to launch control it will be a good drag car. But I reckon if you stacked it against the BMW with a rolling start the extra cylinders and bigger engine would put the BMW at an advantage (yet to be proven, but im confident) similar to how it clawed it back against the RS3

Like I thought as well its supposed to have proper track springs, which unfortunately even in Merc's comfort mode equivalent are still said to be back breakingly firm. Not to mention that squeezing that much power out of a 2.0l 4 cylinder engine, means that in time its going to spend more time in the Mercedes service centre than on the road

For me its a proper nice little hatch to look at but come the end of the month my moneys on the BMW. I could get a fully loaded used M135i with around 2-3k on the clock and have plenty change for some M Performance bits and the cost of my insurance etc, before I'd even got the the optionals on the Merc
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

It has to said that whilst this looked impressive, the A45 AMG has a (higher pressure turbo) engine that is close to its max limits.

Merc had to have AMG build it this way to gain the market acceptance as the newest Hot hatch on the market and drive their sales. Otherwise, it would have been just another hatch . It does look a bit like an Astra.

I will be interested to see how long this engine lasts when driven hard by boy racers.

In comparison, the M135i 6 pot is only 'warmed up' by the M people. It has a hugh amount of potential.
I would like to see the outcome if the 'M' people actually did the full 'M' on the 135i's 6 pot and tweaked the suspension.

Or maybe that honor will belong to the M2
Appreciate 0