BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > Software upgrades using ESys

09-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
lurker
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru

Software upgrades using ESys

Hi All,

I recently purchased a second hand M135I built in late 2012 (in Australian specification). I also got a coding cable and have been successfully coding with ESys. Unfortunately some of the coding deatures require later software in various systems in my car. I realise there is more risk associated with using ESys to do a software upgrade than just basic coding which is fairly simple, so I went to my local BMW service department to see if I could get software upgrades done there. My car has no issues, but I mentioned a few things like Auto not smooth in slow driving through car parks etc. but unless there is a specific issue they cannot do a software upgrade at no cost. The cost to get it done is AU$550 which seems ridiculous.

So I am considering trying to use ESys to do the software upgrades. I would like to upgrade everything in the car to the latest specification (KOMBI etc.). Can anyone advise any tips on doing this. I know I should use a battery charger to keep battery going as it may take a while. I have seen some people who started doing an upgrade and were doing it over CAN instead of Ethernet resulting in it going slow and looking like taking several days to complete. Should I try doing a smaller module first?

So any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Adrian
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
rebi77
Registered
Rep
Drives: F010

Hi.

Greater risk is, you can not use properly ESYS.

I have original, factory ICOM A2 kit (not clone)
I can not begin programming ESYS. I not use reprogramming this is esys.
I use ISTA P .. reprogramming... Better, and safety

I would like to learn how to use ..ESYS Properly programming .. procedure
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
justinodd
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135i

Hi,

I have the same car as Lurker and want to pick his brain to draw on his experience and hindsight before I start doing mods.

I'll PM you in an hour.

Cheers
Justin
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
lurker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinodd View Post
Hi,

I have the same car as Lurker and want to pick his brain to draw on his experience and hindsight before I start doing mods.

I'll PM you in an hour.

Cheers
Justin
Hey Justin,

I am really no expert. My car is stock except for coding a few basics. I am still sitting on the fence as to whether I upgrade the software. BMW quoted me 8 hours labour to do the programming, so not getting them to do it.

Cheers,

Adrian
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 04:37 PM   #5
lurker
Private
Rep

Just an addition to this. I can get access to Autologic through a workshop I know. I believe it can do reprogramming. Does it do the same job that BMW update will do? Is it safer to use it then ESys? Basically I just want to update my 2012 F20 M135I to latest software for all modules. I would also like to enable Launch control if possible which I can do easily enough with my Esys setup, but I know this requires later software than is in my car.

Cheers,

Adrian
Appreciate 0