BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > knocking from rear suspension

05-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

knocking from rear suspension

I know this is a common fault - and mine has developed it (early 2012 build).

I know the solution is rear shock absorber replacement

My question is, is there a reference that I can quote to the dealership for the known fault - to speed things up?

Thanks all!!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 125d

Garage List
I have this too, dealer palmed me off. Have learned to live with it
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawia View Post
I have this too, dealer palmed me off. Have learned to live with it
well I took it in a few weeks ago for it, the technician agreed something wasn't right, and they diagnosed a loose rear light cluster. had that replaced and no change to the noise, so I am going back, but having read online that there was a shock absorber issue with my year/model I want to point them to it!

if I get any success I will name the dealer so you can always take yours there?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I wish I could. I'm in Northern Ireland so stuck with what I have here. Let me know what happens tho. I reckon it's a design fault with the rear bushings. In mine it's like a hard rubbery, tappy rattle if that makes sense. Really bad in my town cause the roads are shit. Roads are good in dealers town so hard to replicate the problem!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawia View Post
I wish I could. I'm in Northern Ireland so stuck with what I have here. Let me know what happens tho. I reckon it's a design fault with the rear bushings. In mine it's like a hard rubbery, tappy rattle if that makes sense. Really bad in my town cause the roads are shit. Roads are good in dealers town so hard to replicate the problem!
I would call mine a rumbling sound, almost like the same sound you get from an old hard disk drive but a bit louder.

I have read on babybmw.net that there is an issue with the rear shockers... whether it's an official PUMA or not I don't know...

It's in at the dealers as we speak for another issue but I asked them to investigate this too - cant wait for the excuse I get..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

semi-success, the technician once again agreed something not right and they want to replace the rear antiroll bar drop links - ordered and booked in for tomorrow.

can't fault the service thus far, let's see if that fixes the noise!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Your dealer seams good for after sales service. Yes, I suppose your right. It is more of a rumble. Keen to see if you get it sorted so I can get a fix too!! Good work
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

well the other sites suggest its the actual shockers, so it will be interesting if this is a different fix, but at least they acknowledge something's not right, which is nine tenths of the way there

surely as a NI customer you still can have warranty work done in GB dealers, since you are part of the UK, and come under BMW UK's remit?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...07&hg=33&fg=45

a quick look on realoem shows that the original rear shock design was ended and replaced with a revised design! different part numbers! plus a new "guide support" part
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Dealers here will see me right but I seam to know more than they do! It would just be nice to have something concrete to go to them with before I make a fuss.
Wonder if my car already has the update shocks as its a late '12 build
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

Had the car back with its replaced drop links, not had chance to properly try it out yet but I don't think it has improved. Annoyed because the technician wrote on the job card "road tested and sounds like any other sport".... it should be up to ME to decide whether it has been fixed! Moreover, the sport has the same suspension as the SE, Urban etc... so why did he imply that the noise is "like any other sport"

I'll have a proper road test this weekend and if it's still noisy I'll simply send it back... I don't know why they can't see that the original shockers have been revised! The parts are only about £96 for the pair, plus an hours labour!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Nightmare. Let me know what you think once you get a drive
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #13
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

just been for a drive and no change - noise still there

im thinking of just giving up the fight and accepting the car isn't perfect :/
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I know the feeling m8. Have you not approached them directly about the revised shocks, it should be easy for the parts guy to find the revised shock on the system and cross reference them to yours to see if they are different. Then get at them to get them in and fitted.
You have came this far and are nearly there, your efforts will help a lot of others like myself

Good problem solving so far, been fit to cross a few things off the list. They thought it was my boot lock latch and adjusted it but of course it wasn't ...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

Sucks - no worse than my mate's experience with audi's service mind - maybe the more premium the car, the worse the customer service! they all rave about kia and hyundei in the press
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 03:25 AM   #16
Bruno28
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i F20 M-Sport

i have same thing.
i will try this:

http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660854
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 04:05 AM   #17
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

I had a knocking from the rear last night. Turned out my parcel shelf wasn't in right.
      05-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #18
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

This is definitely not from the interior, I have had the parcel shelf and hatch floor out, and the seats down, and the noise is still there... good thinking though!!

It's going back to the dealers one last time on Tuesday next week, I have advised them of the shock absorber issue in the hope they will replace. If they don't I am going to pay for the parts to be replaced out of my own pocket because it's annoying me and making me feel less in love with the car.

However, given the annoyance with this dealer thus far, I will be taking that bit of business to another dealer, along with my oil change service which is due in the next few months. I am hoping if I combine the two I might be able to save on labour.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #19
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
There is no way you should pay for this out of your own pocket man. They claim the expensive back from BMW so costs them nothing. The reason they resist is purely target driven, keep warranty work to a minimum and BMW will pat them on the back. If they have a LOT of warranty work BMW will threaten to withdrawn.

This rattle is clearly a design fault of some sort. So warranty it is

I notice its worse in mine when she's light on fuel, less weight on the back end.

I'm going to wait till I'm nearly empty next and go pick up a technician, drive back to my home town and around my roads that make it rattle like a bitch
See what's said then
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcomma View Post
This is definitely not from the interior, I have had the parcel shelf and hatch floor out, and the seats down, and the noise is still there... good thinking though!!

It's going back to the dealers one last time on Tuesday next week, I have advised them of the shock absorber issue in the hope they will replace. If they don't I am going to pay for the parts to be replaced out of my own pocket because it's annoying me and making me feel less in love with the car.

However, given the annoyance with this dealer thus far, I will be taking that bit of business to another dealer, along with my oil change service which is due in the next few months. I am hoping if I combine the two I might be able to save on labour.
Can I make a suggestion? If the garage won't try the shocks (subject to the cross reference to your exact part number), I'd tell the dealer you will be having them replaced anyway. If revised dampers do solve the problem, then you expect BMW/your dealer to reimburse all costs. Be prepared to put it in writing, and file it with the dealer. I'd also copy to BMW CS, telling the dealer you will be informing BMW CS of your intended action. Don't rant or rave, just state the case and your intended path to the solution.

Even your action may get them to respond, and to look harder for the fault/replace the dampers. But if not, you have set the groundwork for pushing hard on the dealer/BMW after the event.

I know I'd personally fight on this type of issue, there is a fault, that is clear.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #21
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

Well I think it's time for a progress report!

I went back to my dealer to say the noise was still there. I also said that it gets worse when people are in the back i.e. there is pressure on the back suspension. I also said that a "friend" with the same model had a similar issue involving a recall on the rear shock absorbers. Handed my keys over, half a day later, I get a call from the service desk - "we've called up BMW UK to ask advice and it appears there was a PUMA raised for the issue whereby a customer complains about a noise from the luggage compartment area - action to replace shock absorbers and upper guide with revised design"

I was jumping for joy. Best of all, as it's a PUMA, it's all done under warranty for free.

Booked in a week later, dropped it off, call again half a day later "we've got the parts but didn't realise we needed to replace two bolts - have to order those in so it will be tomorrow"... anyway eventually the work was done - I picked it up, checked the shockers which are brand new and with the correct - revised - part numbers on them (checked the stickers against realoem part numbers)

So they replaced the parts and the knock has gone! (well, it's not entirely gone, but probably the same as any may 2012 onward 1er)

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #22
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Result ! and props for not giving up on what you were entitled to.
Appreciate 0