BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 2012 f20 120d wiper problem

07-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
ghumra
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120D SE

2012 f20 120d wiper problem

good evening all

I have recently come over to the dark side and converted from Mercedes to BMW. I have purchased last week a lovely 2012 120d, considering i came from a C class saloon, this drives better than anything i have every owned.

i have a silly question regarding the wipers, i really don't want to go back to Sytner at this stage if it means i may look like a complete plonker, i rather look like a plonker here first.

two part question

i have the auto wipers, i understand this reverts to off position every time the car is turned off, my question here is that when the auto wiper mode is active, once it stops raining are they meant to turn off completely or do i have to push the button to turn them off. currently they come alive when i push the button and its sunny outside.

second question and more importantlt relates to the wash/wipe system. whenever i pull the stalk towards me, i get great coverage of washer fluid over the windscreen however will get no wipe at all until i either pull down for 1 wipe or press the auto button to activate it.

Other than that. The wipers work fine in manual mode. I know it may be a rain sensor issue.if the screen was ever replaced .more worried about the washer system though

is this some normal qwirk of owning a bmw? I have it booked into bmw but they cant get me in till the end of september. Car is still under extended warranty. Just wanted to see if there are quick things i can try in the meantime while im waiting like fuses.

any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The auto wipers will stop wiping when it stops raining, but unless the car has been turned off, they will start wiping again when the rain comes back. When you enable the auto wipers, they will make one wipe, and then decide based on the rain sensor how to proceed.

The washing feature you describe is not normal. It should start the wipers as well. I don't think it is a normal quirk.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 04:49 AM   #3
ghumra
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120D SE

I thought this may be the case. Rain sensor aside. Ia there anyhing i could try to self repair the washer/wiper problem.

I had a look at the fuse card but theres only an inspection symbol near the washer picture
Appreciate 0