BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > ESPN pulls Robert Lee from Virginia broadcast...

08-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #45
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
Agreed, ESPN over reacted as many businesses/universities/governments etc tend to do lately. I don't believe for a minute that HR or counsel would advise them that this was the right direction.
There is a fundamental misapprehension about what they did. They didn't reassign the employee on their own volition ... they asked the employee if he wished to be reassigned. I can tell you, with absolute certainty, that it is exactly what HR and/or legal counsel would have recommended.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #46
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Actually I wasn't lecturing you ... I am a little incredulous at the debate in general and am voicing it. My comments weren't directed at you in particular, but everyone who's misstating the facts or missing the point.

Employers have legal obligations to provide safe and respectful workplaces to all their employees. ESPN was not incorrect in assessing a potential risk and erring on the side of caution to ask the employee involved if they would like a different work assignment. They had liability and risk if they didn't. This is exactly my area of professional expertise and how I make my living.
....and I still disagree. And FTR, I have had my fair share of HR issues that I needed to deal with. My point is that I believe that ESPN over reacted as seems to be the trend now. Everyone is so worried about be called out by someone who has nothing better to do that complain about perceived indiscretions by any business, institution, government or average citizen. The continual public (internet) shaming of everything all the time has become ridiculous. Lets think about this, Robert Lee a sports broadcaster who appears to be asian is going to be a) threatened b) accused of association with a long dead confederate general c) some other insane complaint.

At some point in time all the above institutions have to take a position and stand behind their employee and take the position that the customer isn't always right.

And my feelings aren't hurt that you disagree.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410784.50
      08-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #47
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
There is a fundamental misapprehension about what they did. They didn't reassign the employee on their own volition ... they asked the employee if he wished to be reassigned. I can tell you, with absolute certainty, that it is exactly what HR and/or legal counsel would have recommended.
Why?? For what rational reason did he need to be reassigned?
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 04:47 PM   #48
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Why?? For what rational reason did he need to be reassigned?
For being a racist slave owner. His name IS Robert Lee after all.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410784.50
      08-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #49
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
That's their only retort. Instead of having something intellectual to counter with, it always ends up with their oppressor being a snowflake, which is ironic. Nothing new here.
I have seen you do the same thing. Just thought I would start pointing it out when someone does it... but I probably don't need a second full time job.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #50
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I have seen you do the same thing. Just thought I would start pointing it out when someone does it... but I probably don't need a second full time job.
I'll call myself out on it, I said some very few select things I shouldn't have at first, but realized quickly it doesn't portray my thoughts like an adult. With that said, I pulled back and have made my arguments very clear and laid out, without assumptions or insults on any end.

However, it seems like some on the other side have continued to follow suit of not altering their mindset. I could sit here and monitor the opposing sides and their accusations, but I don't have time to work first, second, and third shift.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 08:22 AM   #51
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
I'll call myself out on it, I said some very few select things I shouldn't have at first, but realized quickly it doesn't portray my thoughts like an adult. With that said, I pulled back and have made my arguments very clear and laid out, without assumptions or insults on any end.

However, it seems like some on the other side have continued to follow suit of not altering their mindset. I could sit here and monitor the opposing sides and their accusations, but I don't have time to work first, second, and third shift.
You are definitely more level headed than others... on either side. I would normally chalk it up to people just being internet warriors but I see this same kind of shit on my FB... and that disturbs me a little. Then again, if they had internet in the 70's it probably would have been very similar to this from what I know so
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 09:30 AM   #52
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You are definitely more level headed than others... on either side. I would normally chalk it up to people just being internet warriors but I see this same kind of shit on my FB... and that disturbs me a little. Then again, if they had internet in the 70's it probably would have been very similar to this from what I know so
I make mistakes and I'll be damned if I don't call myself out on them and make a correction. Might not be a perfect person, but it doesn't take too much effort to be at minimum a decent person.

It would have been. People would just gossip amongst each other back in the day, or via phone calls, then it turned into party lines. Now you have the internet where you can talk to anyone you want to instantly. There never has and never will be a way to avoid it, it's human nature.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #53
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Are you all being deliberately obtuse or are you this naive?

If ESPN did nothing, about 30 seconds into the game when the names of the broadcast crew flash on screen, what do you think would happen? Twitter would start to explode with all sorts of commentary and would quickly turn into the usual cesspool of venom and vitriol that twitter is known for. Pretty soon, the story wouldn't about the game, but about him. In the meantime, he'd be subject to personal (and probably racist) attacks on social media. It has potential to be an incredibly ugly and uncomfortable experience for him.

ESPN identifies the potential issue (good for them), comes up with a potential solution (good for them), connects with the employee to offer him an alternative if wanted (good for them), and then abided by his wishes (good for them). If you can't see this as simply as ESPN trying to be a good employer, then you all probably think Hardee's and Wal-mart are good employers.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #54
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:

If ESPN did nothing, about 30 seconds into the game when the names of the broadcast crew flash on screen, what do you think would happen? Twitter would start to explode with all sorts of commentary and would quickly turn into the usual cesspool of venom and vitriol that twitter is known for. Pretty soon, the story wouldn't about the game, but about him. In the meantime, he'd be subject to personal (and probably racist) attacks on social media. It has potential to be an incredibly ugly and uncomfortable experience for him.

ESPN identifies the potential issue (good for them), comes up with a potential solution (good for them), connects with the employee to offer him an alternative if wanted (good for them), and then abided by his wishes (good for them). If you can't see this as simply as ESPN trying to be a good employer, then you all probably think Hardee's and Wal-mart are good employers.
How pathetic of a retard do you have to be to get triggered by an Asian guy named Robert Lee. This is epic level snowflakines, a dick like that probably flips out when he sees white lines on a black road. Then boycotts a restaurant because the bathrooms are not gender neutral.

It has finally happened, a blizzard in August. Let's just go out of our way to accommodate every overly sensitive moron out there.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 10:29 AM   #55
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
How pathetic of a retard do you have to be to get triggered by an Asian guy named Robert Lee. This is epic level snowflakines, a dick like that probably flips out when he sees white lines on a black road. Then boycotts a restaurant because the bathrooms are not gender neutral.

It has finally happened, a blizzard in August. Let's just go out of our way to accommodate every overly sensitive moron out there.
That wasn't the point and you know it. Those people exist and hide behind their social media pseudonyms so that they can spew vile and hateful thoughts at every turn. There is no question that it would happen.

You can barely restrain yourself on here and you're hardly the worst. Your contempt and hate for everyone who thinks moderately differently than you spills over your every word and you pale by comparison to the hatefulness that is twitter. The way you treat people on BM is, by comparison, genteel to what would happen on social media to Robert Lee the announcer if he did that game and that's the truth.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #56
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That wasn't the point and you know it. Those people exist and hide behind their social media pseudonyms so that they can spew vile and hateful thoughts at every turn. There is no question that it would happen.

You can barely restrain yourself on here and you're hardly the worst. Your contempt and hate for everyone who thinks moderately differently than you spills over your every word and you pale by comparison to the hatefulness that is twitter. The way you treat people on BM is, by comparison, genteel to what would happen on social media to Robert Lee the announcer if he did that game and that's the truth.
Therr you go people, twitter had officially become the master of the universe. Better be on your ps and qs because someone might tweet something mean about you.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #57
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:

Therein lies the problem of the social media wasteland. Social media should have no impact on the announcer doing the game. It was a dumb move by ESPN.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #58
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:

So are you suggesting that Mr Lee only be excluded from broadcasts in Virginia as that's the only place in the USofA that might react to this? Better just terminate the guy to be really pro-active.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410784.50
      08-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #59
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:

It's hard to tell anymore if posts like this are even serious or just trolling. Loony libtards have everything so f'd up it's just hard to decipher.
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410784.50
RickFLM410968.00
      08-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #60
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
So are you suggesting that Mr Lee only be excluded from broadcasts in Virginia as that's the only place in the USofA that might react to this? Better just terminate the guy to be really pro-active.
If we're getting rid of statues, the only viable option I see here is to execute the guy. If we let this one Robert Lee live, then we're setting a precedent for all the other Robert Lee's alive today. It's bullshit.

Also, if we're going to do this right the first time around, we should execute the parents too, since they technically named him, they must be racists also.
Appreciate 3
SakhirM410784.50
RABAUKE4656.00
Hawkeye2069.50
      08-24-2017, 11:11 AM   #61
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
It's hard to tell anymore if posts like this are even serious or just trolling. Loony libtards have everything so f'd up it's just hard to decipher.
I see that the Ontario Federation of Teachers has voted to have Sir John A. MacDonald's name removed from all school's in the province. He was the first Prime Minister of Canada and had some ties to the residential schools that some aboriginal children were sent to.

It's only a matter of time before BLM/ANTIFA demand the removal of Washington and Jefferson's names from all public places.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #62
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
I see that the Ontario Federation of Teachers has voted to have Sir John A. MacDonald's name removed from all school's in the province. He was the first Prime Minister of Canada and had some ties to the residential schools that some aboriginal children were sent to.

It's only a matter of time before BLM/ANTIFA demand the removal of Washington and Jefferson's names from all public places.
What the hell do Canadians have against Ronald MacDonalds now?

Christ, where the hell does it end at this point? THE HAMBURGLAR?!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #63
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:

Loones, all of them.

F BLM/ANTIFA, perhaps if they focused on getting a job these monuments wouldn't be such a big deal. Of course, when you're one step above common pond scum, I guess you get your rocks off in life by denigrating great people. None of this trash will ever amount to the greatness those men mentioned above achieved in life, so it's face mask/urine bomb time. If you can't build, all that's left is to destroy.
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410784.50
Delta03117477.50
      08-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #64
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Loones, all of them.

F BLM/ANTIFA, perhaps if they focused on getting a job these monuments wouldn't be such a big deal. Of course, when you're one step above common pond scum, I guess you get your rocks off in life by denigrating great people. None of this trash will ever amount to the greatness those men mentioned above achieved in life, so it's face mask/urine bomb time. If you can't build, all that's left is to destroy.
If you can't achieve success then hate on those that do, from the comfort of your moms couch. Occasionally do step outside to meet up with other like minded haters and go engage in violence, just to let everyone know how much of a hater you are.
Appreciate 2
NickyC17461.50
SakhirM410784.50
      08-24-2017, 12:44 PM   #65
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
It starts as trolling, then gets enough attention to gather some momentum and turns serious, finally evolving into outrage and demands as more jump on the bandwagon. I think that's the general formula, at least as far as I have observed.
SakhirM410784.50
      08-24-2017, 12:54 PM   #66
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

It's not trolling, but the reaction to it is reflective of the collective contempt and disrespect that some of you hold dear.

This has nothing to do with politics, ESPN dealt with an employee and potential blowback on him ... nothing more, nothing less. Your collective failure to even recognize the point just reflects poorly on all of you.
Appreciate 0