BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Using a USB Stick

05-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
NeilC
Rep
Drives: 116ED

Using a USB Stick

Hi,

After shelling out 42 quid for an iPod y-cable, I was shocked by the sound quality through the AUX input. I decided to put my music onto a 32GB USB stick, and the sound quality was noticeably different.

I have however run into a problem. When I put a few songs on, it all works fine, and you can search for artists, albums, genres etc....

However, when I go over about 10gb on the stick, it still lists all the songs, but won't let me search any more (the options are all greyed out). The only way of controlling the music is by searching by folder, which means you have to put all your artists into separate folders. I did this, but when there were lots of files in 1 folder, if I select a song, it puts a tick next to that song on the list, but plays a completely different song.

The manual says you can go up to 160000 songs, but the iDrive clearly doesn't like this. I left it all connected for half an hour, thinking it might need to download the info first, but this made no difference.

Anyone else experiencing a similar problem. Am I just limited to only having a smaller amount of songs on my USB stick at any one time?

Thanks,

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
fullkoll
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F20 / 118dA

I am on Mac and use iTunes for my music and manually copy the folders that iTunes creates (in Finder) to my 32Gg USB stick using MuCommander.

I also have a 16gb stick and frequently change them without any problems.

Once the stick has been read in the car everything works OK - and it doesīt take that long.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Mark189
Member of Parliament
Rep
Drives: G21 320d M Sport

Am also on iTunes and using a Mac
Is there a specific benefit to using MuCommander? Does the standard copy paste on Mac work?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
fullkoll
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F20 / 118dA

I find the MuCommander more reliable when I copy lots of files - I can start MuCommander and let it copy a whole 32 gb stick and leave it to it.

I tried that with the standard copy but it didnīt work, for me at least.
Iīm sure there are no problems copying single files and folders.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 05:40 AM   #5
harrys
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 116i steptronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilC View Post
Hi,

After shelling out 42 quid for an iPod y-cable, I was shocked by the sound quality through the AUX input. I decided to put my music onto a 32GB USB stick, and the sound quality was noticeably different.

I have however run into a problem. When I put a few songs on, it all works fine, and you can search for artists, albums, genres etc....

However, when I go over about 10gb on the stick, it still lists all the songs, but won't let me search any more (the options are all greyed out). The only way of controlling the music is by searching by folder, which means you have to put all your artists into separate folders. I did this, but when there were lots of files in 1 folder, if I select a song, it puts a tick next to that song on the list, but plays a completely different song.

The manual says you can go up to 160000 songs, but the iDrive clearly doesn't like this. I left it all connected for half an hour, thinking it might need to download the info first, but this made no difference.

Anyone else experiencing a similar problem. Am I just limited to only having a smaller amount of songs on my USB stick at any one time?

Thanks,

Neil
same problem here so i only use Y cable and wait for the software update for usb.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #6
LUV2XLR8-NL
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Business Sportline

Garage List
With iTunes you can adjust setting to convert podcasts and/or music to MP3 as well.