BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Rough paint on sides

01-29-2016, 05:44 AM   #1
alreadyexists
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 2019 320d

Rough paint on sides

Hi All

I've been lurking for a while, I'm really impressed with the forum, but first time poster. I've got a question I hope some of you can help me with.

I recently picked up my pre-facelift 2015 116d, I bought used with 5k on the clock. I'm really pleased with it, it's my first BMW and I love it!

While washing it (I've always taken pretty good care of my cars washing/detailing wise) I noticed a small rough patch of paintwork in front of both rear wheel arches, quite low down. There's nothing visible there, and I was debating just claying to see if that smoothed it out. I checked with the main dealer though, and they said (via email) that it was a protective film in front of each wheel arch to stop stone chips... Does anyone else's F20 have this? Is it standard? Or was he just telling me BS because he doesn't want to have to do any thing about it?

Any help or assistance would be great!
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #2
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Is it like an orange peel effect? If so that's simply shoddy paint; only cure is wet sanding which is pretty brutal.

Certainly no "film" on my M135i but I had to sent it back when new for a cargo dent in the rear bumper and weird silver flecks in the roof paint!

All sorted properly. I'm a total nerd with cleaning/polishing so don't miss any defects.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
alreadyexists
Rep

Hi, thanks for your advice.

It's not an orange peel effect, if it were I would definitely have got them to sort that (I wouldn't fancy messing about sanding, that's beyond my level of skill). It's more like a rough 'sand paper' type feel, but a very subtle roughness like a matt texture almost.

It's strange, never felt it on a car before. I suppose it could be some sort of protective film, but I was a bit skeptical hence why I thought I'd ask people I can trust!

I will try and take some photos, although there is no obvious 'edge' to the roughness. Do you think I should take it back in to the dealer so show them in person?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
I would.
Thinking back my lady VW California (camper van) had something like that just in front of the rear arches; but it was never rough in texture.

Wet sanding is definitely for professionals only; a mistake is pretty terminal!!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
alreadyexists
Rep

Thanks very much, sounds like the dealer might have been clutching at straws with the 'protective film' explanation.

From googling around it seems that BMW do a film coating option on 3 series... I think. But so far not seen any evidence that the 1 series has them, even as an option.

I might clay it first, see if that has any effect and then take it back to the dealer if that has no effect.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #6
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alreadyexists View Post
Thanks very much, sounds like the dealer might have been clutching at straws with the 'protective film' explanation.

From googling around it seems that BMW do a film coating option on 3 series... I think. But so far not seen any evidence that the 1 series has them, even as an option.

I might clay it first, see if that has any effect and then take it back to the dealer if that has no effect.

Cheers!
Another explanation could be that the previous owner had some film applied or a repair done.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 03:26 AM   #7
alreadyexists
Rep

I hadn't thought of the repair explanation, although I bought from a dealer and the car was registered to them as a demonstrator and staff car... So you'd hope that any repairs were done properly. True though, it does sort of feel like that matt texture you get from shoddy resprays. It's in front of both wheel arches though, so that would've been a weird accident.

Thanks for the idea though, definitely will explore that one.
Appreciate 0