BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > First oil change and recommended air pressure

07-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

First oil change and recommended air pressure

Two questions if I may:
- I'm taking the M135i in for a small job next week, while I'm there, is it worth getting the oil changed? It's only done 500km. Anyone else doing the first oil change early?
- what's the recommended air pressure in the tyres if you're not particularly fussy about comfort and more concerned about handling and performance. It's winter here in Melbourne so the tyres aren't going to get too hot.

TIA.
      07-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Tyre pressure is on the drivers door card and around 32 PSi all round. As for oil. I'm not keeping my car so won't be doing anything early.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

500km would be way too early anyway, at least wait until the advised running in period by which time anything bedding in will have done so.

Personally I'd do it after 12 months or about half the service interval mileage whichever is sooner.

Why am I not surprised CC?

Own up, it's going to be a 435i innit?
      07-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post
500km would be way too early anyway, at least wait until the advised running in period by which time anything bedding in will have done so.

Personally I'd do it after 12 months or about half the service interval mileage whichever is sooner.

Why am I not surprised CC?

Own up, it's going to be a 435i innit?
Mum's the word Bob
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
Active
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMWM235i and 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
Two questions if I may:
- I'm taking the M135i in for a small job next week, while I'm there, is it worth getting the oil changed? It's only done 500km. Anyone else doing the first oil change early?
- what's the recommended air pressure in the tyres if you're not particularly fussy about comfort and more concerned about handling and performance. It's winter here in Melbourne so the tyres aren't going to get too hot.

TIA.
Had the car serviced yesterdayincluding the first oil change at 11000km. As for the tyres, running 36psi
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active View Post
Had the car serviced yesterdayincluding the first oil change at 11000km. As for the tyres, running 36psi
Do you mean that there is no scheduled run-in service which is basically oil and other vital fluids change at 2000 km/1200 miles?

I thought for the MPerformance cars they would suggest the same oil changes like the M cars.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Do you mean that there is no scheduled run-in service which is basically oil and other vital fluids change at 2000 km/1200 miles?

I thought for the MPerformance cars they would suggest the same oil changes like the M cars.
No the M Performace and "M" cars are two different animals.
      07-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
georgie
Rep
Drives: coming

when i picked up the car, BMW Brisbane told me the Australian recommendation is 40psi - they even make me sign something to say that they had told me it was 40 despite what was written on the door

I have been running 40 on mine

Side note - does everyone reset tyre pressure on computers every time you inflate?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
No the M Performace and "M" cars are two different animals.
In certain aspects yes, but first oil change should not be one of those points. If I would own a M135i myself I would do a break-in fluid change out of my pocket for sure, regardless of what service schedule says. Can't hurt and I can tell you that any car feels much better and smoother after an early oil change following a proper break-in. If the car is manual, tranny oil better be changed as well.

There is a small difference separating those two engines or the way those cars are designed to be driven. Waiting till 10,OOO+kms. is too much for such a high performance car imo.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
white 125M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White 125 M Sport

I run about 42 psi on my 335 (19" rims) and that works better in terms of wear and ride comfort. I think the the placard is too low for our road conditions but in the end, it's a personal choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

On tyre pressures, I'm somewhere in between, running 34psi front, 36 rear. Over inflation at the front makes the vagueness of the steering in Comfort worse, in my experience.

I'll get my oil and filter changed at around 7,500 k, just a habit I've developed over the years. Clean oil is good for cars, and is a cheap preventive measure in whole scheme of car maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 01:52 AM   #12
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgie View Post
Side note - does everyone reset tyre pressure on computers every time you inflate?
Yes.

I think 40 psi is a bit on the high side. If you drive hard, the warm pressure will be even higher, maybe up to 50 psi. Then you have a rather small contact patch with the road. Less grip and less steering feedback.

I think a basic pressure around 35 psi is more suitable. It does depend on driving style, though. The smoother driving style, the lower pressures you can use.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #13
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgie View Post
Yes because the pressure monitor needs this to work correctly.
      07-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #14
PS2K
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
Two questions if I may:

TIA.
Servicing department at my local dealer informed me 38 psi rear and 36 psi front
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #15
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

According to the door plate, depending on wheels and tyres fitted and expected load, anywhere between 2.2bar and 3.4bar is recommended.

Greater load carried = higher inflation pressure recommended.

Most people will go for an average setting that "Will do" rather than bugger about changing pressures every time a different load is carried.
      07-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #16
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

All helpful answers, thanks everyone.

Although I run the E91 at 40psi all round, I might run the M135i at 38 rear and 36 front. I'm not sure if there's any science behind it, but I get the impression that low profile tyres need less air pressure because of the increased thickness of the tyre wall. I've not noticed any uneven tyre wear from running at that pressure, although I seem to recall wearing the centre out slightly from running an earlier car at 42psi, so it's approaching the limit I suspect.

Ovekvam, I'm surprised you say there may be a 10psi increase from driving hard. I've not seen that kind of increase, even after driving at the track. In Australia, though, on a hot summer's day, the asphalt temperature can make a 4-5psi difference IIRC.

So, what's the full running-in period, is it 5,000km?
      07-28-2013, 01:33 AM   #17
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I have had 12 psi increase after track driving, so anything is possible. Depends on how intense your driving is. This was with a 1130 kg 140 hp car, so I guess an M135i should be able to generate even more heat into the tires. The humidity of the tire air also plays a role. The drier air, the less pressure buildup.

In the old days, too high tire pressures caused the centre of the tread to wear out. With modern tires, you can also see the opposite, that the center wears out if the pressure is too low. Depends on carcass design.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 05:30 AM   #18
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I think you spend more time on the track than you do on the roads ovekvam.
      07-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #19
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
I think you spend more time on the track than you do on the roads ovekvam.
Not quite. But I have spent quite a lot of time on tracks the last 15 years. My driving style on public roads is very relaxed, but I know that some M135i owners drive their cars like they stole them, so comparing to track driving can be relevant.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #20
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Not quite. But I have spent quite a lot of time on tracks the last 15 years. My driving style on public roads is very relaxed, but I know that some M135i owners drive their cars like they stole them, so comparing to track driving can be relevant.
Oh I agree completely, getting some track driving is something anyone who wants to become a better driver should do. That is the place to feel how your car reacts when pushed and where you learn to control it properly.

I think those who do tend not to be so wild when on the roads which can only be good for everyone imo.
      07-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #21
pacoluca
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i M Sport

I think the front and rear tyre pressure should be the same due to the 50:50 weight distribution in 1 series. In my experience, regularly checking tyre pressure, I would say once every 2 week will be enough and the plate on the side of door says 32 psi is just a guideline for me, and that's the minimum psi you need for the tyres when the tyres are cold . the pressure increases after driving for a while, and will roughly increases about 4-5psi under normal drive. So I would put 38 psi when the tyres are warm.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #22
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacoluca View Post
I think the front and rear tyre pressure should be the same due to the 50:50 weight distribution in 1 series. In my experience, regularly checking tyre pressure, I would say once every 2 week will be enough and the plate on the side of door says 32 psi is just a guideline for me, and that's the minimum psi you need for the tyres when the tyres are cold . the pressure increases after driving for a while, and will roughly increases about 4-5psi under normal drive. So I would put 38 psi when the tyres are warm.
There are many variables to determine the "right" pressure for each axle; even weight distribution is one of them but that alone doesn't really work if your car has different size front/rear tires for instance (like in M cars or in M135i). Also, someone driving most of the time with passengers at the back seat or trunk loaded should have much diffferent pressures compared to someone almost exclusively driving his car alone with no load. I like to play with pressures and see how the car reacts on different roads or in different circumstances; but always keeping an eye on the factory recommendations.
Appreciate 0