BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Deep whistle/grind sound

09-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
bhavik0
Rep
Drives: 120d M Sport Estoril Blue

Deep whistle/grind sound

Hi, I keep getting a deep pitched whistle sort of grind sound as soon as i reach approx speed of 30mph and above from rear left of car. BMW replaced the diff and the noise is still occurring. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be so I can point BMW in the right direction, the clueless pricks! Noise is annoying as hell!

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #2
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

It could be a sticking brake caliper or lip on a disc, or a piece of trim in wheel arch or underbody that has come slightly loose.
The best way is to take one of their mechanics for a drive with you and let them hear it.
That way you know and they now know what it is BMW has to fix.
Sometimes sounds will disappear if another persons weight balances the car or if the vibration is bouncing off a surface only on one side of the car. You may have to get the person to sit behind you.
Appreciate 0