BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Let's talk options..

02-16-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Let's talk options..

If I was to get another Bimmer, I'd like to understand what I actually need. Last time around I just went for Pro Nav and called it a day. But half of it I never used / cared about.

So a couple of q's for you's.

Enhanced bluetooth over "standard bluetooth"? Besides from music streaming and an extra mic I'm struggling to tell the difference. But I do want a working voice controlled hands free kit.

Adaptive suspension? On a 335D it's not worth it, but as this car's back end slips around like it had a super hot chilli last night. This time around it could be, the question really is.... If a bird flaps it's wings in the far east, will I end up in a tree? / does it firm up over standard sport suspension?

Has anyone gone for the loudspeaker advanced over the Harman? Quite interested if anyone did.

Shame you can't get cruise control without rear parking but I might add the comfort pack.

That's about it really, all I really want is to be able to slap it in gear and have a hoot driving it.

Last edited by Firaxis; 02-16-2017 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 11:36 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Our F20 LCI has standard bluetooth, and supports music streaming. I can control Spotify from the steering wheel. I never tried if voice control works.
Appreciate 1
Firaxis265.50
      02-17-2017, 06:24 AM   #3
eray
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S3 Quattro 300 Hp

The standard bluetooth opiton on cars with production date later than July 2014 has capabilities of both making phone calls, listening to music via bluetooth. in addition, if you have an apple product, it also supports voice control (Siri)

I strongly recommend getting BMW Professional Multimedia option (NBT or NBT EVO depending on model year). It enables you to watch dvd, navigation, BMW Apps, CarPlay, Mirror Link. it has built-in apps like spotify etc.

Adaptive suspension is a quite expensive option in where I live, so I decided to pass on that one. As far as I know front suspension on 1 series is a double-wishbone. Which is quite adequate for sharp bends. It is also quite hard to slip the end of a 1 series due to short driveshaft/axle.

if you are planning to get a 1 series, harman kardon system consists of 12 speakers and 360 watt amplifier. it is a bit weaker than the one they put on 3 series (16 speakers + 600 watt amp)
The difference between HI-FI kit and harman on 1 series is that harman has extra 2 tweeters on doors and a loudspeaker behind dash.
I had HI-FI on my previous car, and the newer one has harman. I can tell mid range tones are great compared to HI-FI. other than that if you are not much into instrumental music, you will be good with HI-FI.

Cruise control is easy to retrofit. it's just 2 buttons on your driving wheel. easy to mount, easy to code. The forum will help on that if you wish.

Good luck
Appreciate 1
Firaxis265.50
      02-17-2017, 06:32 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eray View Post
Adaptive suspension is a quite expensive option in where I live, so I decided to pass on that one. As far as I know front suspension on 1 series is a double-wishbone. Which is quite adequate for sharp bends. It is also quite hard to slip the end of a 1 series due to short driveshaft/axle.
The front suspension is of the MacPherson strut type.
Can you please elaborate what you mean with the short driveshaft/axle comment? I don't understand. How does this affect how the car slips?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #5
eray
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
The front suspension is of the MacPherson strut type.
Can you please elaborate what you mean with the short driveshaft/axle comment? I don't understand. How does this affect how the car slips?
I may have used wrong words. I was trying to imply that it is harder to slip a shorter car compared to a sedan. Should have used the term "wheelbase" I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 08:07 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
I may have used wrong words. I was trying to imply that it is harder to slip a shorter car compared to a sedan. Should have used the term "wheelbase" I guess.
The F20/F21 has a rather long wheelbase. It would have been easier to make it slide if it was shorter. That is one of the reasons why the Z3 was very popular for drifting.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 08:18 AM   #7
eray
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
The F20/F21 has a rather long wheelbase. It would have been easier to make it slide if it was shorter. That is one of the reasons why the Z3 was very popular for drifting.
Z3 was popular because it could take turns faster than a sedan due to shorter wheelbase. drifting is much more easier with a longer car since it will slip its back easier. the point is that a shorter car will drift more "efficiently" as it takes less time to counter the oversteer.

ps. assuming that we are talking about rwd cars btw
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 08:30 AM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Z3 was popular because it could take turns faster than a sedan due to shorter wheelbase. drifting is much more easier with a longer car since it will slip its back easier. the point is that a shorter car will drift more "efficiently" as it takes less time to counter the oversteer.

ps. assuming that we are talking about rwd cars btw
You don't get higher cornering speeds with a shorter wheelbase, but you get more load transfer. When you brake for a corner, more weight is transfered from the rear axle to the front axle. The shorter wheelbase gives you more steering leverage, so you can do a quick turn in. Combined, these two factors will make the car more likely to oversteer during corner entry.

Because of the load transfer, the balance of the car is also more throttle sensitive in the corner, so you can steer the back end with the pedals.

In general, a longer wheelbase makes the car more stable, and less willing to turn. This is an advantage at high speeds, while short wheelbase cars are more suited to very twisty sections.

The rear multilink suspension on the F20/F21 is made to compensate for load transfer, making it hard to bring out of balance. Even running with DSC Off, it is very easy to drive at the limit.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #9
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Cool, so it looks like the comfort pack and Harman is the way to go..

Cheers everyone, appreciate it.
Appreciate 0