BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Lowering options?

09-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

Lowering options?

The F20's are perched a little too high for my liking even in M Sport trim.

I would like to hear from anyone who has lowered thier F20 either just springs e.g. Eibach, H&R etc..or coilovers e.g KW, Bilstein etc..

Any pictures would be appreciated and also what you think of the ride and handling characteristics for road use in particular.
      09-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
dr.bat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 120d

Hi!
I just installed bilstein b14 height-adjustable coilovers...
before

after

Can be lowered more, but I like this height.
Great improvement in the handling, slight loss of comfort...

Bye!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
[Martin]
Rep
Drives: F21 116i

I'm trying to figure this out too. I saw a guy here who lowered his m-sport on Eibach pro springs, and in my opinion it looked great.. Link: http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755616

One concern is what do BMW say regarding warranty if you change the springs..?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

Nice drop... that would be similar to what I would like... Thats the good thing about coilovers is that you can lower it exactly how you want it..

@Martin - regards to warranty, I guess only parts which can be deemed affected by the springs would not be covered.
      09-26-2013, 01:15 AM   #5
[Martin]
Rep
Drives: F21 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
Nice drop... that would be similar to what I would like... Thats the good thing about coilovers is that you can lower it exactly how you want it..

@Martin - regards to warranty, I guess only parts which can be deemed affected by the springs would not be covered.
But in my experience Coilovers WILL unwind and adjust themselves With time which leads to bad alignment and tyre wear. Lowering springs on the other hand requires less maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Martin] View Post
But in my experience Coilovers WILL unwind and adjust themselves With time which leads to bad alignment and tyre wear. Lowering springs on the other hand requires less maintenance.
My experience is the opposite. Once adjusted, it can be hard to unwind the coilovers again. They will often be stuck, at least after driving one winter in salty conditions. Coilovers are generally somewhat stiffer than sets of lowering springs and dampers. Particularly if you want small amount of lowering and stiff suspension, coilovers is the way to go.

Going for lowering springs with stock dampers is however a very bad idea. It will affect the handling, and definitely not in a good way.
Appreciate 0