BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 118i M Sport 6sp Rev match when in Sport+

01-02-2016, 05:14 AM   #1
1SolidF20
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 118i M Sport

118i M Sport 6sp Rev match when in Sport+

A very short video that I show the rev match function of sport+ mode when downshifting in a manual car:

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 05:32 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Isn't it working in all drive modes?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 05:43 AM   #3
1SolidF20
Enlisted Member
Rep

No, only in Sport+ mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 06:07 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

The 218i Active Tourer does it in all modes.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 06:09 AM   #5
1SolidF20
Enlisted Member
Rep

Are you sure? They must have changed the settings on this one...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 06:51 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I drove the 218i mostly in Comfort mode, and it kept rev matching every shift.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 07:45 AM   #7
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SolidF20 View Post
A very short video that I show the rev match function of sport+ mode when downshifting in a manual car:
Don't you go neutral too early? (They still have so many "helpers" to invent...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SolidF20 View Post
No, only in Sport+ mode.
"This is, of course, impossible." : in M2, just for instance, they only promise to dismiss this ridiculous feature in full(?) DSC Off.

By the way, is it really a rev matching? To me, it looks like the indicators and the tachometer needle go up just as your left knee does, not before :

I would guess you might be mislead by a software mistake(?) of indicating power and torque increase based on the revs only, skipping the fact it's idle. I had this kind of experience in a loan 3 Series with that dumb economy indicator they put in to be default (mine is so fortunately missing that shit! ): I clearly saw the needle more than half way to the right when I was off the accelerator completely.

Last edited by No one; 01-02-2016 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #8
1SolidF20
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I drove the 218i mostly in Comfort mode, and it kept rev matching every shift.
You are right. I checked again today and it does it in Comfort and Sport modes.

Perhaps it didn't do it when I was in break in period. I just crossed 2000km a few days ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 10:41 AM   #9
1SolidF20
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Don't you go neutral too early? (They still have so many "helpers" to invent...)

"This is, of course, impossible." : in M2, just for instance, they only promise to dismiss this ridiculous feature in full(?) DSC Off.

By the way, is it really a rev matching? To me, it looks like the indicators and the tachometer needle go up just as your left knee does, not before :

I would guess you might be mislead by a software mistake(?) of indicating power and torque increase based on the revs only, skipping the fact it's idle. I had this kind of experience in a loan 3 Series with that dumb economy indicator they put in to be default (mine is so fortunately missing that shit! ): I clearly saw the needle more than half way to the right when I was off the accelerator completely.
It is rev matching.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 11:03 AM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
in M2, just for instance, they only promise to dismiss this ridiculous feature in full(?) DSC Off.
You don't like the rev matching? I think it is a great feature. After all, most people don't have the skill to do it themselves. I spent years of practice to learn it, but I don't mind leaving the job to the car (which can do it better than me) when I am in transport mode.

When I drive just for fun, I prefer to do my own rev matching just for the sense of achievement. If I compete at autocross, it can even be useful to do some mismatched shifts on purpose to rotate the car into hairpin corners. For track driving, I would probably want the automatic rev matching enabled, particularly when the brakes start fading. It is very difficult to do rev matching while braking when the brake pedal starts going deeper than usual.

The turbo lag makes it more difficult than with a naturally aspirated engine.

All in all, the best solution would be to add a button where we could enable or disable the rev matching, just like the start/stop feature.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 11:01 PM   #11
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
You don't like the rev matching? I think it is a great feature. After all, most people don't have the skill to do it themselves. I spent years of practice to learn it, but I don't mind leaving the job to the car (which can do it better than me) when I am in transport mode.

When I drive just for fun, I prefer to do my own rev matching just for the sense of achievement. If I compete at autocross, it can even be useful to do some mismatched shifts on purpose to rotate the car into hairpin corners. For track driving, I would probably want the automatic rev matching enabled, particularly when the brakes start fading. It is very difficult to do rev matching while braking when the brake pedal starts going deeper than usual.

The turbo lag makes it more difficult than with a naturally aspirated engine.

All in all, the best solution would be to add a button where we could enable or disable the rev matching, just like the start/stop feature.
> You don't like the rev matching?

To me it's just pointless: for those who don't want to drive there's the automatic transmission.

> After all, most people don't have the skill to do it themselves.

IMHO, if you can't drive then just don't.

> I spent years of practice to learn it, but I don't mind leaving the job to the car (which can do it better than me) when I am in transport mode.

I don't care how much it takes. I don't do it well but that can't prevent me from keeping trying. Transport mode is dull without that. When I was trying the cruise control I felt like closing my eyes: nothing to do. That's just dangerous. What I would mind would be an unwanted "helper" preventing me from discovering/improving my skills and, especially(!), making me look a better driver than I am.

> When I drive just for fun, I prefer to do my own rev matching just for the sense of achievement.

So do I. It's just I always want the fun ("sheer driving pleasure")!

> If I compete

I never feel like competing, but even if I did, I'd rather win by better driving than by driving a better car.

> The turbo lag makes it more difficult than with a naturally aspirated engine.

Oh yes, and so does the electronic accelerator. The hawser was the best, but boys don't cry.

> All in all, the best solution would be to add a button where we could enable or disable the rev matching, just like the start/stop feature.

I'd hardly have any use for the button, exactly as it is with the start/stop! It would be just another obligatory one to peck every time. Even when the passenger complaints, I'd rather go alone. IMHO, the best solution could be realizing what kind of driver you actually are and just selecting the transmission appropriately: "To express oneself honestly, not lying to oneself ... that is very hard to do!"
Appreciate 0