BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > All dads/moms

07-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #89
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Excellent point! I guess then we should go with our instinct and choose one that has the qualifications first and foremost, and not worry about if they are attractive as well.
qualifications might be too sexy lol
      07-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #90
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
So ours turns 9 months old in a couple of weeks. Did lots of research too. Basically we have a few things that he never really used or liked, but we actually got and still get a lot of use out of most things we bought. A lot of the stuff I see mentioned is great, but remember every baby is so different. What works for us might not work for you. A friend of ours had theirs two weeks after us and is the complete opposite of ours. Loves everything ours hates. It's funny...

Sleep is most often one of the biggest problems I think. Breastfeeding newborns SHOULD be up every two hours feeding. Now some people will tell you that you shouldn't wake a sleeping baby. I disagree, that newborn needs nourishment and must be up feeding. My wife is a pediatric nurse, so this all happened. Some people let their kid sleep hours without feeding them. It's not just about proper weight gain, but proper brain development. With formula, you can get by a bit longer because it takes longer to digest, but if breastfeeding, feed the baby. The two hour intervals will be rough for everyone. We used a bassinet next to the bed. Simple design and cheap, with wheels, adjustable height, etc. We also had to angle ours because he had slight reflux issues early on.

This quickly transitioned into "baby not sleeping unless being held." I love him, but this phase was an absolute nightmare. For a couple of months we basically got no sleep. If you put him in the bassinet, he would either instantly start screaming or would wake in about 10-15 mins and scream. If we held him, he would sleep sound for hours. As a full time student and my wife getting ready to head back to work, we just decided to do what we needed to do to get some sleep. I held him for a few hours surrounded by a boppy pillow and other pillows sitting up, maybe I dozed off a little but not really. Then we switched and she would feed him, then take him for the rest of the night. Zombies, the two of us...

Then, we decided enough was enough around 6 months of age. Spoke to the pediatrician and they recommended just putting him in his crib and let him go. We did tons of research on the sleep thing, and again there is so much bullshit out there on the internet. We felt comfortable letting him cry in increasing intervals. In a few nights, he was sleeping on his own and without any tears. We all started getting much more sleep at that point, but it needs to be the right time for you and your family.

The tricky part with mine is that he's a mover, and is constantly waving his arms and playing. He absolutely hated being swaddled. Everyone told us "oh just swaddle him and he'll sleep." No, he did not. We found this: http://www.magicsleepsuit.com/ and bought it. Supposedly, it keeps them from doing large movements that could startle them awake, but allows some freedom to be able to move their hands and legs. He uses a pacifier, so sometimes it falls out. If he can't reach it, he will cry. With this he reaches for it and puts it back on his own and goes back to sleep. It's breathable and doesn't make him too hot even though it looks like a winter coat.

Now at 8 months, he is sleeping through the night. I put him down at 10:30 last night (we were out with him) and he slept until 10:00 this morning. Woke up a couple of times and started gabbing to himself, but then fell back to sleep.

Oh, and if you are doing the breastfeeding thing, don't take it personally if the baby wants nothing to do with you for a while. For the first few months maybe, my little guy would pretty much cry anytime someone else would hold him besides his mom. The bond that baby forms with mom by breastfeeding is unbelievable, and it was sometimes discouraging that he wouldn't let me hold him very much. But now, he practically jumps out of her arms to have me grab him, and it's awesome. Now with strangers, that's a whole separate issue...
eluded2959.00
int47.50
TBN54426.50
      07-28-2016, 01:13 PM   #91
Kidscollege$
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW M4

Garage List
2016 Toyota  [0.00]
2016 Lexus RX350  [0.00]
2015 BMW/M4  [0.00]
get some cute clothes that you can show off to friends and relatives. but other than that, just get a shit ton of onsies, diapers, wet wipes. Get some cloth diapers to use as burp cloths, way cheaper. get whatever stroller fits in your car and will roll over whatever terrain you typically walk in...they will out grow it soon enough that it aint worth spending $500 on. Look on craigs list for baby bed, everyone sells them. then pop for a new mattress.

Do I sound like Scrooge here? well, maybe, but after having 3 kids go through this and spending a shit ton of $ on that stuff, I can tell you that the kid will never know any different that he slept in a used bed or didnt have the designer car seat and stroller.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #92
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Last two posts are bang on, especially the "baby won't sleep unless being held" bit.

As early as you can, transition from wake/play/eat/sleep to wake/eat/play/sleep.

Moving to the latter can mean the difference between being locked in a nut house or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 05:36 AM   #93
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar
So ours turns 9 months old in a couple of weeks. Did lots of research too. Basically we have a few things that he never really used or liked, but we actually got and still get a lot of use out of most things we bought. A lot of the stuff I see mentioned is great, but remember every baby is so different. What works for us might not work for you. A friend of ours had theirs two weeks after us and is the complete opposite of ours. Loves everything ours hates. It's funny...

Sleep is most often one of the biggest problems I think. Breastfeeding newborns SHOULD be up every two hours feeding. Now some people will tell you that you shouldn't wake a sleeping baby. I disagree, that newborn needs nourishment and must be up feeding. My wife is a pediatric nurse, so this all happened. Some people let their kid sleep hours without feeding them. It's not just about proper weight gain, but proper brain development. With formula, you can get by a bit longer because it takes longer to digest, but if breastfeeding, feed the baby. The two hour intervals will be rough for everyone. We used a bassinet next to the bed. Simple design and cheap, with wheels, adjustable height, etc. We also had to angle ours because he had slight reflux issues early on.

This quickly transitioned into "baby not sleeping unless being held." I love him, but this phase was an absolute nightmare. For a couple of months we basically got no sleep. If you put him in the bassinet, he would either instantly start screaming or would wake in about 10-15 mins and scream. If we held him, he would sleep sound for hours. As a full time student and my wife getting ready to head back to work, we just decided to do what we needed to do to get some sleep. I held him for a few hours surrounded by a boppy pillow and other pillows sitting up, maybe I dozed off a little but not really. Then we switched and she would feed him, then take him for the rest of the night. Zombies, the two of us...

Then, we decided enough was enough around 6 months of age. Spoke to the pediatrician and they recommended just putting him in his crib and let him go. We did tons of research on the sleep thing, and again there is so much bullshit out there on the internet. We felt comfortable letting him cry in increasing intervals. In a few nights, he was sleeping on his own and without any tears. We all started getting much more sleep at that point, but it needs to be the right time for you and your family.

The tricky part with mine is that he's a mover, and is constantly waving his arms and playing. He absolutely hated being swaddled. Everyone told us "oh just swaddle him and he'll sleep." No, he did not. We found this: http://www.magicsleepsuit.com/ and bought it. Supposedly, it keeps them from doing large movements that could startle them awake, but allows some freedom to be able to move their hands and legs. He uses a pacifier, so sometimes it falls out. If he can't reach it, he will cry. With this he reaches for it and puts it back on his own and goes back to sleep. It's breathable and doesn't make him too hot even though it looks like a winter coat.

Now at 8 months, he is sleeping through the night. I put him down at 10:30 last night (we were out with him) and he slept until 10:00 this morning. Woke up a couple of times and started gabbing to himself, but then fell back to sleep.

Oh, and if you are doing the breastfeeding thing, don't take it personally if the baby wants nothing to do with you for a while. For the first few months maybe, my little guy would pretty much cry anytime someone else would hold him besides his mom. The bond that baby forms with mom by breastfeeding is unbelievable, and it was sometimes discouraging that he wouldn't let me hold him very much. But now, he practically jumps out of her arms to have me grab him, and it's awesome. Now with strangers, that's a whole separate issue...
This is exactly why we always tell our friends not to even start with the kid in your room. I've also never heard of a two hour feeding interval. That's insanity! It should really be 3-4. A stressed out mommy is going to make for a stressed out baby. Mom needs sleep to recharge and be healthy. There's nothing wrong with supplementing to get some extra zzzs. You guys made your lives much more complicated than they needed to be. If a kid is sleeping he is happy and sleep is an equally important factor in proper development. He gets plenty of nourishment during the day so there's absolutely no reason to wake him when he's sleeping soundly. That's why bigger kids tend to sleep better. During growth spurts you'll also find that they sleep more.

Both of our kids also hated being swaddled and that never interfered with their sleep. "Cry it out" worked like a charm and I know that can be tough for new parents but six months of holding a kid so they can sleep would lead to a lot of single child families. It's confusing for the kid and stressful as hell on you guys.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 01:35 AM   #94
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

How having kids can ruin your romantic relationship - CNN.com

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/08/health...commended_pool
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 09:20 PM   #95
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I back the notion of getting the kid in their own crib in their own room but not right away. Even averaged sized babies tend to wake every two hours to eat, so a bassinet in your room is fine initially. It's the parents that have their kids sleep in their bed that kill me, what a recipe for disaster that is.
Appreciate 1
Templar263.50
      07-31-2016, 10:30 PM   #96
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

I like stroller. 6 in 1 and connects to seat. Chicco. Everyone in the store called it a chi-Koh but I just ignored their pronunciation. I feel it matches my car lol
Attached Images

08-01-2016, 12:18 AM   #97
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Shit ended up doing more research and now I'm confused.

I want a light weight versatile easy to handle stroller.
      08-01-2016, 01:52 AM   #98
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post

From a dad who has 5 different kinds of strollers: If those are your criteria, get a MacLaren umbrella stroller. Won't let you store much (and you definitely cannot hang bags or stuff on the handles or else it'll tip over) but it's the perfect daily stroller: lightweight and easy to handle. Note that the seatback doesn't fold down completely flat so it's not totally ideal for newborns, but it can be done.

Edit: just looked on MacLaren's website that they even have BMW M versions of the stroller, albeit at ridiculous prices.

Last edited by schoy; 08-01-2016 at 01:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 01:54 AM   #99
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I want a lot of things. Like a pony. That would be cool.

[IMG]http://previews.123rf.com/images/iss...tock-Photo.jpg[/IMG]

Love baby jogger with three wheels. It's big but collapses. Wheels come off. test drive one against the competition. Fits in most BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 02:10 AM   #100
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I'm in HK so my brands could well be a tad different, Urban lifestyle with minimal space, as a reference my son is 11 months.

Dining Chair at Home - Stokke Tripp Trapp - My son is fed at the table and sits with us during our meals. We wouldn't let him out of the chair until we finished eating. We get him involved in our conversations with smiles, laughs, eye contact, hand touching and sometimes a bite of food or a spoon of soup.

Stroller - Recaro Easylife - 6 month+

Car Seat - Cybex Sirona Plus - Claims 0-4 years old, can rotate to face the door so it's easier to strap him in. Rear facing for as long as possible before switching to forward facing.

Carrier - Babybjorn One Carrier - Our son hates it, so used it maybe 5 times.

Weaning - Avent 2 in 1 Steamer/Blender (Can't imagine life without it), Calibowl (Suctions onto table)

Reading - Your Baby's First Word Will Be DADA by Jimmy Fallon (Got my kid to say Dada as his first word, wife hates me), Brain Rules for Baby by John Medina

We got our son to give up the 3am feed after 2.5 months (Slept from 12-630). We started BLW (Baby Led Weaning) by 6 months and right now he's already got 8 tooth, can fully hold the bottle by himself since around 7 months (Put a cushion under his head). My son's favorite top is actually the stacking cups from IKEA. They actually have good classic toys.
      08-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #101
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Re-read the thread with wife. Since Chicco is the best infant car seat just gonna save the hassle and go with Chicco stroller. Found the bravo that is smaller and best of is a for sure one hand operating collapse system.

Getting the "Genesis collection" LOL

On a side note I did some youtubing and there are some pretty crazy strollers out there. Like luxury shit. Saw one that looked like an old school carriage with bassinet for $4k! Wtf.
Attached Images

08-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #102
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy
Quote:

From a dad who has 5 different kinds of strollers: If those are your criteria, get a MacLaren umbrella stroller. Won't let you store much (and you definitely cannot hang bags or stuff on the handles or else it'll tip over) but it's the perfect daily stroller: lightweight and easy to handle. Note that the seatback doesn't fold down completely flat so it's not totally ideal for newborns, but it can be done.

Edit: just looked on MacLaren's website that they even have BMW M versions of the stroller, albeit at ridiculous prices.
Saw it too lol. BMW on cam lock for harness.

It was funny watching home made mommy videos saying "5 point harness" since my only use of those words pertain to the #tracklife
      08-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #103
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post

I always wondered about this, isn't that like putting M badges on a car? What difference does it make that it says BMW, MacLaren, etc.

My advice would be to steer clear of this as it will cost 100's of k's in the future. We've met friends who a) never let their infant/toddler wear things that are not premium brands b) never accept used anything from friends

Hey want this Nike sweatsuit that my son outgrew and wore 5X? Nah. I'd rather spend $200 and get him a new one.

I also get it, though, kids really are spittin' images of their folks most of the time. And there is a certain lifestyle. One time someone though my wife was an au pair, and she laughed. This was because > 50% of the people in this play place are au pairs, and they drive S600's and Range Rovers and etc. belonging to the employer.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 09:59 AM   #104
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Yesterday, one of my wife's bff's gave my son a brand new bicycle with training wheels, because they are moving to SC.

It looked all fancy and said Kawasaki. Out of respect for her, I put it in the back of my wife's Range Rover Autobiography, turned the corner, and threw it into a dumpster (new construction in the neighborhood). I wanted my son's first bike to be a "baby Cannondale."

Sometimes people, we need to think really hard about what matters, brand, or function, we're talking about kids 0-36 mo. old.

You got it, it's the brand.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #105
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post

I always wondered about this, isn't that like putting M badges on a car? What difference does it make that it says BMW, MacLaren, etc.

My advice would be to steer clear of this as it will cost 100's of k's in the future. We've met friends who a) never let their infant/toddler wear things that are not premium brands b) never accept used anything from friends

Hey want this Nike sweatsuit that my son outgrew and wore 5X? Nah. I'd rather spend $200 and get him a new one.

I also get it, though, kids really are spittin' images of their folks most of the time. And there is a certain lifestyle. One time someone though my wife was an au pair, and she laughed. This was because > 50% of the people in this play place are au pairs, and they drive S600's and Range Rovers and etc. belonging to the employer.

I stopped buying primo brand shit for myself long time ago. Funny - I make double what I made then but stopped buying everyday fancy wear. I still have nice shit here and there for when we go out (never go out fancy anymore though).

So if I don't get none my kid don't get none. Lol

He'll get a lot of nice toys though since that's my thing.
      10-21-2016, 09:30 PM   #106
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Update. Going in tomorrow. Hope I make it lol
      10-22-2016, 08:51 PM   #107
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

Quote:
Good luck!

I only flipped through a few comments here briefly, but I think the best piece of advice is to do what feels right to you and your partner. Everyone will tell you why X or Y or Z is the best way, and can cite you 50 studies on why it should be done that way. At the end of the day, it's your kid, and your judgment that matters. All parents do it differently, and it seems like most of us still made it to adulthood and aren't psychopaths. Wish you the best!
Appreciate 1
jtodd_fl6703.50
      10-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #108
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
What happened? Wouldn't pull out, probably a boy then.
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      10-24-2016, 10:38 AM   #109
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biorin View Post
and it seems like most of us still made it to adulthood and aren't psychopaths.
You must have been hanging out on that SECRET OT that none of the rest of us are allowed into.
Appreciate 1
Biorin2784.50
      10-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #110
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biorin View Post
and it seems like most of us still made it to adulthood and aren't psychopaths.
You must have been hanging out on that SECRET OT that none of the rest of us are allowed into.
Yeah, secret OT, only psychopaths allowed!! Er,
I mean, no psychopaths allowed! Yeah. Totally.
Appreciate 0