BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > GoPro Hero 5 Stabilization Quality Test on a bumpy racetrack - Worth the upgrade?

10-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

GoPro Hero 5 Stabilization Quality Test on a bumpy racetrack - Worth the upgrade?

Is GoPro's new electronic image stabilization (EIS) feature in the HERO5 Black any good? Is there a notable difference in vibration reduction, movement smoothing, and sharpness? I tested the new HERO5 at Sonoma Raceway along with the previous model HERO4 Black, which only records non-stabilized video.

All footage recorded at 2.7K resolution and 30fps. Best viewed on a large screen to really observe the differences!

Protune was enabled in each camera for highest image quality. The videos for this comparison are unprocessed without any color correction or grading - except near the end. Before recording, all settings were adjusted to match on both cameras. Each camera was mounted in the same location. The HERO5 recorded around 9:30am and the HERO4 recorded later in the day around 1pm so the colors, midtones, shadows, etc. will still differ.

Although sharpness was set to "low" on both cameras, the HERO5's image quality appears superior and seems to capture more details at the same resolution, thanks to its EIS and better image processing. A split screen view is displayed vertically and horizontally side-by-side, and later the images are enlarged to better observe the differences.

Sound on the HERO5 was recorded with its built-in microphone. The HERO5 now offers audio processing to minimize wind noise and enhance stereo during recording, but this new feature was set to OFF. Audio on the HERO4 was recorded with an external mic.

Enjoy the comparison - Hope you find it helpful!

Camera car: BMW 135i

Cars appearing in video: McLaren 675LT, Lamborghini Huracan, Porsche variants including GT3's, and Mazdaspeed MX-5 racecar.

Last edited by 1spirit; 11-01-2016 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: revision
Appreciate 2
omasou2079.50
      10-21-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Hero5 looks great and you are flying! Stock car?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #3
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Can you do a comparison of the built in mics on both cameras and see if the new noise reduction on the Hero 5 works?

Wind noise with the Hero 4 is quite apparent.
      10-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #4
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

I love my Hero 4 silver lcd
      10-21-2016, 09:43 PM   #5
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Best comparison video that I've seen to date. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
1spirit203.50
      10-22-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Hero5 looks great and you are flying! Stock car?
It was too fun!
Stock tune, 235/265 RS3, Ohlins R&T, Quaife LSD, M3 arms/bushings, Vorshlag camber plates at -2.2, PFC-08 pads with stainless steel pistons / Castrol SRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Can you do a comparison of the built in mics on both cameras and see if the new noise reduction on the Hero 5 works?

Wind noise with the Hero 4 is quite apparent.
Will do if I get a chance. I only tested the noise reduction briefly but it seems to do a decent job at processing out wind sounds...but not nearly as good as an external microphone with windscreen which I normally prefer to use (as used with the Hero 4 in this video).

The wind noise you hear is actually from the Hero 5. The same external microphone would have been used but the required new 3.5mm adapter was unavailable at the time...

If an external microphone can't be used, I'd recommend using a stickover mini universal windscreen on the GoPro where the little hole for its mic is. It works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
I love my Hero 4 silver lcd
It's still a good cam! Although the EIS on the Hero 5 works well, there's something about the non-stabilized footage that I like too...it looks dynamically raw and more alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Best comparison video that I've seen to date. Thanks.
Appreciate 0