BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > 2007 BMW 530xi - Issues and Concerns - Used!

10-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
berrydingle
Fvck JDM
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2007 BMW 530xi - Issues and Concerns - Used!

Hi All!

Bought my 1st 5 series few days ago! I came from 99 323i, to 2007 335i, to 06 Lexus IS250, to now 07 530xi!. It drives really well but I have few concerns after I have purchased from a private seller.

I was hoping to get some help from you guys as I've done a fair share of search and really couldn't find much information.

Issue #1)
The KEY FOB, does not have anywhere to open the cover for battery replacement. I was told from the seller that the Comfort access does not work because of the dead battery. Unlock/Lock functions or Trunk opener does not work.

Issue #2)
The clocks return to 24-hour format each time the car is turned off and turned back on.

Issue#3)
Same with Climate Controls (it always turns on 1 level AC or heat) upon starting back the car.

Issue#4)
Same with Radio presets. Any changes I made to the presets, it always revert back as if the battery got reset after restarting the car.

Issue #5)
I have a brand new BMW KEY FOB that came with the car. I was informed that Dealer would have to program, cut, and initialize the key fob. Is this still true?

I did compare two of the Key Fobs, and one does have a battery cover and one does not. I manually keep having to plug the key in to start the car. And sometimes when I unlock the door by using the cut key, alarm goes off.

It has been a little bit frustrating to say the least. Any pointers would be definitely appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Issue #1)

CA fobs have a replaceable battery. non CA cars do not have a replaceable battery. non CA cars charge the key fob in the slot. CA cars do not charge the key fob.
Name:  key fob  BMW_Comfort_Access_Key.jpg
Views: 2278
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  key fob  BMW_Comfort_Access_Key2.jpg
Views: 2855
Size:  61.7 KB

You should decode your VIN and see IF your car has CA or not.

http://www.bmwvin.com/

Issue #2, #3, #4)

Could be something as simple as a bad car battery. Check the battery voltage when the engine is off. If its under 12.8 volts(fully charged)... you probably need a new car battery.

Issue #5)

True. Your gonna need a dealer to program that new key fob. should cost an hour or two's labor rate.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
berrydingle
Fvck JDM
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I really appreciate the information!!! I'm gonna have to take it to the dealer and have them check it out thoroughly.

Also, if none CA key is required to be plugged in to the key slot to start it up, what would be the cause of the unlock/lock/trunk opener not working? Would I need a new fob?

Again, thanks a lot for this info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Issue #1)

CA fobs have a replaceable battery. non CA cars do not have a replaceable battery. non CA cars charge the key fob in the slot. CA cars do not charge the key fob.
Attachment 1301653

Attachment 1301654

You should decode your VIN and see IF your car has CA or not.

http://www.bmwvin.com/

Issue #2, #3, #4)

Could be something as simple as a bad car battery. Check the battery voltage when the engine is off. If its under 12.8 volts(fully charged)... you probably need a new car battery.

Issue #5)

True. Your gonna need a dealer to program that new key fob. should cost an hour or two's labor rate.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 02:12 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllStock View Post

Also, if none CA key is required to be plugged in to the key slot to start it up, what would be the cause of the unlock/lock/trunk opener not working? Would I need a new fob?
Could be a bad key fob. It could also be a bad CA control unit. I would ask your dealer to trouble shoot it.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
berrydingle
Fvck JDM
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Could be a bad key fob. It could also be a bad CA control unit. I would ask your dealer to trouble shoot it.

Good Luck,
Dackel

Thanks Dackel. Very helpful. It appears that I don't have CA upon looking at the VIN decoder. Last question... If i have a CA key fob, would that still be compatible with none CA vehicle? As long as I plug in, it should be ok right?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Dackel. Very helpful. It appears that I don't have CA upon looking at the VIN decoder. Last question... If i have a CA key fob, would that still be compatible with none CA vehicle? As long as I plug in, it should be ok right?
Does your CA fob unlock and start the car? IF so, sounds like someone coded an old CA fob to your non-CA car.

FYI... a brand new key fob from any BMW dealer runs about $400. Thats why some people make due with only one working key. I would have a second key fob coded to your car.

This makes sense now... bc thats why none of the presets on your car are remembered when you switch the car off. Sounds like you need two new key fobs. Maybe a dealer can make your "other" key fob work on your car. That way you can save some $$$

Dack
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
berrydingle
Fvck JDM
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Does your CA fob unlock and start the car? IF so, sounds like someone coded an old CA fob to your non-CA car.

FYI... a brand new key fob from any BMW dealer runs about $400. Thats why some people make due with only one working key. I would have a second key fob coded to your car.

This makes sense now... bc thats why none of the presets on your car are remembered when you switch the car off. Sounds like you need two new key fobs. Maybe a dealer can make your "other" key fob work on your car. That way you can save some $$$

Dack
Hi Dack, Thanks! I went to the dealership today and it does sound like I need my battery replaced.

I only have 1 keyfob (without the battery cover), so it's a NON-CA key fob and my car is NON-CA.. Although this key I have may start the car, but it does NOT lock/unlock the doors. I've been having to manually open the door with the emergency key. Would this still point to the car battery issue? I did the battery test, and it appears the voltage is very low and needs to be replaced, which I'm going on Weds. Do you think if I replace the car battery, the key fob would also work?

Finally, if I buy a used key fob, (goes for $30-$60 on eBay.. Would Dealer reprogram it without an issue as long as I show proof of ownership of the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 03:51 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Hi Dack, Thanks! I went to the dealership today and it does sound like I need my battery replaced.

I only have 1 keyfob (without the battery cover), so it's a NON-CA key fob and my car is NON-CA.. Although this key I have may start the car, but it does NOT lock/unlock the doors. I've been having to manually open the door with the emergency key. Would this still point to the car battery issue? I did the battery test, and it appears the voltage is very low and needs to be replaced, which I'm going on Weds. Do you think if I replace the car battery, the key fob would also work?
Sounds like your FOB is dead. There is a chip inside the FOB... that is why the car is able to start but yet the key fob functions not working.

The FOB gets recharged while driving. Have you gone for a long drive? Say like and hour or so? That should be long enough to fully charge your key fob. But it sounds to me that your FOB is dead.

Quote:
Finally, if I buy a used key fob, (goes for $30-$60 on eBay.. Would Dealer reprogram it without an issue as long as I show proof of ownership of the vehicle?
That should work. But you will have to ask your local dealer IF they will do that for you. It should work though.

Did you ask your dealer how much a nw key fob would cost? $400 ?

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #9
berrydingle
Fvck JDM
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sounds like your FOB is dead. There is a chip inside the FOB... that is why the car is able to start but yet the key fob functions not working.

The FOB gets recharged while driving. Have you gone for a long drive? Say like and hour or so? That should be long enough to fully charge your key fob. But it sounds to me that your FOB is dead.

That should work. But you will have to ask your local dealer IF they will do that for you. It should work though.

Did you ask your dealer how much a nw key fob would cost? $400 ?

Dackel
Yup. Looks like the keyfob is completely dead. Lol. And yes, the new one will cost me $400 from the dealer. I would have to look into buying a used one, show BMW the proof of ownership and get it changed.

I did get the battery replaced for $400 at a local shop. Never had to pay such large sum of money for a battery lol but expected.

Thanks for all of your advice Dackel. Been really helpful.
Appreciate 1