BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Eco pro "advice" on 2014 manual F20

07-01-2014, 06:23 AM   #23
ojt
Noob.
Italy
Rep
Drives: F20 114i (06/2014)

I have a feeling BMW is getting a lot of new customers (or rather different types of cusomers than before) with the latest models, customers that do not come from the performance car background or have any interest in performance. Most probably just care about the fact that a BMW feels like a quality car, they care about the car interiors and a general feeling of the drive.

For these customers (myself included) Eco Pro makes sense, they still like the drive. For performance oriented drivers, or "old-school" BMW fans, it probably doesn't make sense.

Just my two cents..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 06:33 AM   #24
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojt View Post
I have a feeling BMW is getting a lot of new customers (or rather different types of cusomers than before) with the latest models, customers that do not come from the performance car background or have any interest in performance. Most probably just care about the fact that a BMW feels like a quality car, they care about the car interiors and a general feeling of the drive.

For these customers (myself included) Eco Pro makes sense, they still like the drive. For performance oriented drivers, or "old-school" BMW fans, it probably doesn't make sense.

Just my two cents..
I think most people will have a shift from performance towards comfort as they get older, myself included. My driving in public traffic is more relaxed and safety oriented now than 10-20 years ago. I rarely use other modes than "Comfort". The exception is "DSC Off" for track driving, and sometimes "DTC" for snowy conditions.

I don't mind the Eco Pro as long as we are not forced to use it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #25
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I remember I always felt a need to modify my previous BMWs quite a lot, like putting coilovers in, adding camber and replacing swaybars. With the F20, I don't have to. It works right out of the showroom floor.

When I drove the 5.1 L/100 km trip, I had the A/C running, and I didn't use Eco Pro. I admit that I was running low RPM and trying to avoid braking to keep the consumption down, but on a boring road, there is not much else to do.

The 116i is actually very good at this game, but it can't beat the F20/F21 diesels, of course.

Or maybe even better, a BMW i3.
My point was not that you should not try to save fuel, but not let it get in the way'
Drive a BMW like a BMW and if you do happen to save a litre or two on the way 'Yahoo'
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #26
Ozolz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 116i m-sport 2014

i3?

I woulnd´t want that on my worst enemies...looks like a box with wheels...

Why do great car companies have to make such horrible electric project cars? They always make them as ugly as possible...no wonder they are a failure
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #27
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolz View Post
i3?

I woulnd´t want that on my worst enemies...looks like a box with wheels...

Why do great car companies have to make such horrible electric project cars? They always make them as ugly as possible...no wonder they are a failure
It is a big success in Norway. The dealers sell them as soon as they can get their hands on one. I think BMW wants the i3 to stand out in traffic and have a practical shape. The interior is actually rather nice. Several of my friends have bought i3, and I know one guy who is waiting for an i8.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #28
Ozolz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 116i m-sport 2014

Quote:
It is a big success in Norway. The dealers sell them as soon as they can get their hands on one. I think BMW wants the i3 to stand out in traffic and have a practical shape. The interior is actually rather nice. Several of my friends have bought i3, and I know one guy who is waiting for an i8.
Thats good and all, but if they want to target the majority of car owners they should rethink the box with wheels-design.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #29
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolz View Post
Thats good and all, but if they want to target the majority of car owners they should rethink the box with wheels-design.
I don't think BMW wants this car to be for everybody. People like that would rather buy an electric Golf. The i3 is meant to stand out like a signal vehicle. "Look at me, I have an electric BMW!"
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 02:08 AM   #30
bmw-performance
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-sport AT

Quote:
I don't think BMW wants this car to be for everybody. People like that would rather buy an electric Golf. The i3 is meant to stand out like a signal vehicle. "Look at me, I have an electric BMW!"
I agree with that! It's a whole diverent driving experience and fun in its own way. It can't match the dynamic feeling of driving a petrol or diesel powered engine in my opinion. What it can is make you feel relaxed and contextual involved, and I think that's a unique experience what you only will find in the BMW i3.
Appreciate 0