BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Has Anyone had Problems with the F20?

05-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #67
Mazzie78
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i sport (F20)

I have my Alpine white 116i since September and have had the following minor problems:
- BMW Live not working (I won't work according to my dealer and BMW Netherlands in my country). I find this very disappointing and made a complaint to BMW Netherlands and still waiting for a reply
- Front brakes makes a noise
- Have had my first flat tyre ever! Sensor first showed all tyres flat (2 times over)

A rather major issue:
- I got a message my steering was not working on my display. Electric steering was gone, it was impossible to steer. After stop and starting the car again I could steer again, but when turning a corner the steering wheel wouldn't go back when you release the wheel. The car has had a software update?? and this was according my dealer part of a recall.

What i'm still a bit afraid of, this is the same engine I had in my Mini Cooper S (R56) and this engine could have a cold start rattle and ended up in using lot's of oil. Same for the THP engine which are in the renault's and peugeot's. So I hope they have improved it for the BMW's

Apart for the rather major issue I'm still very pleased with my car and it's a joy to drive everyday!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #68
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzie78 View Post
I have my Alpine white 116i since September and have had the following minor problems:
- BMW Live not working (I won't work according to my dealer and BMW Netherlands in my country). I find this very disappointing and made a complaint to BMW Netherlands and still waiting for a reply
- Front brakes makes a noise
- Have had my first flat tyre ever! Sensor first showed all tyres flat (2 times over)

A rather major issue:
- I got a message my steering was not working on my display. Electric steering was gone, it was impossible to steer. After stop and starting the car again I could steer again, but when turning a corner the steering wheel wouldn't go back when you release the wheel. The car has had a software update?? and this was according my dealer part of a recall.

What i'm still a bit afraid of, this is the same engine I had in my Mini Cooper S (R56) and this engine could have a cold start rattle and ended up in using lot's of oil. Same for the THP engine which are in the renault's and peugeot's. So I hope they have improved it for the BMW's

Apart for the rather major issue I'm still very pleased with my car and it's a joy to drive everyday!
Regarding bmw live I think your dealer is wrong. The only thing bmw live need is a phone to act as a modem. should not matter what country your in.

I was worried aswell when bmw live didn't work for me at first, thought that the car only had to pair itself with the phone via bluetooth and then it would be rock'n'roll.

What you have to do is that you must enable internet-sharing in your phone, sometimes called tethering. This allows the car to utilize the phone to go out on the internet. What phone do you have? on iphone 4s you go settings -> general -> network -> internet sharing -> enable -> smile
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #69
Mazzie78
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolz View Post
Regarding bmw live I think your dealer is wrong. The only thing bmw live need is a phone to act as a modem. should not matter what country your in.

I was worried aswell when bmw live didn't work for me at first, thought that the car only had to pair itself with the phone via bluetooth and then it would be rock'n'roll.

What you have to do is that you must enable internet-sharing in your phone, sometimes called tethering. This allows the car to utilize the phone to go out on the internet. What phone do you have? on iphone 4s you go settings -> general -> network -> internet sharing -> enable -> smile
Using now iPhone 4s with tethering enabled, but also used other phones (and providers) with tethering enabled none worked
I do see a connection made and I see kb's transferred. Problem is that I only see this when I use update the services (mine is in dutch, but it is the same menu as BMW Live, Teleservices, etc). When I use BMW Live I only get 'the page is not available, please try again later'. It doesn't make a connection to internet.
If I use update and switch to live it shows it is connected to my phone, but when the update is finished I got the same message.

So I have run out of options and I contacted my dealer multiple times (also other dealers) but all say it is a provider issue. Sadly I am not the only one here with this problem
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 02:55 AM   #70
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Using now iPhone 4s with tethering enabled, but also used other phones (and providers) with tethering enabled none worked
I do see a connection made and I see kb's transferred. Problem is that I only see this when I use update the services (mine is in dutch, but it is the same menu as BMW Live, Teleservices, etc). When I use BMW Live I only get 'the page is not available, please try again later'. It doesn't make a connection to internet.
If I use update and switch to live it shows it is connected to my phone, but when the update is finished I got the same message.

So I have run out of options and I contacted my dealer multiple times (also other dealers) but all say it is a provider issue. Sadly I am not the only one here with this problem
forgot to follow up on this, sorry for a late reply but some ideas:
1. Enable tethering/internet-sharing on the phone, connect your laptop-pc to it (bluetooth or wifi) and see if you can surf the web. Just to verify that the phone does actually share it's connection with another device.

2. If that works atleast we know the phone is capable of providing what is needed. On my way to work today I was looking around in the idrive menu, if I remember correctly there was some checkbox for "bluetooth data transfer" when you click the options-button down at the scroll-knob/wheel. Verify it's checked.

3. when you select bmw live, where does it fail? does it fail while it's establishing connection to the phone? or do you get to the menu where you can choose weather, news etc ? If I understand you correctly it fails just after you select bmw live and it's establishing connection?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #71
apreloaded
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: 120d, 320d, Mini Cooper

I have a rattle in the left back door that comes out when I'm driving on cobblestone pavement. I hope they can fix this easily. And I wish I'd have ordered the HK sound system. I had this on a 3er series sport line I had as replacement car after someone crashed into our Mini and it was awesome.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #72
Mazzie78
Rep

No worries,
1. Yes, works like a charm with Ipad or pc
2. Is enabled
3. Well it fails directly, I got the message "page not available, please try again later". There is no connection being made to the internet. But when I select update BMW services, there is a connection to the internet.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 02:48 AM   #73
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
No worries,
1. Yes, works like a charm with Ipad or pc
2. Is enabled
3. Well it fails directly, I got the message "page not available, please try again later". There is no connection being made to the internet. But when I select update BMW services, there is a connection to the internet.
hmm frustrating don't know what to do then, seems like the dealer and bmw nl are right after all maybe?! but it doesn't make any sense at all. Did they give any explanation as to why it won't work in your country?

I mean if your Ipad and pc can utilize the phones connection the car should too, it's supposed to do exactly what the ipad/pc does. It can't be sorted with a firmware-upgrade of the idrive? Really poor of them indeed that they don't inform about this problem. The BMW-live option shouldn't even be available to choose then, or at least have a big warning.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 05:51 AM   #74
Bmwfourlife
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 1 series 116D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by apreloaded
I have a rattle in the left back door that comes out when I'm driving on cobblestone pavement. I hope they can fix this easily. And I wish I'd have ordered the HK sound system. I had this on a 3er series sport line I had as replacement car after someone crashed into our Mini and it was awesome.
Hello,

I think i am experiancing a similar problem too, but mine is a small knock/creek inside the cabin.

I think someone has mentioned something about the seats need to be tightend or something - doesnt really bother me that much as my music is always on and it doesnt happen all the time.

Will get them to tighten them next time I send my car in - lol

Still having issues with my idrive and iphone/ipod - the bmw dealer hasnt been successfull in resolvin the issue at this moment. I have been advised to raise a complaint :-/
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #75
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
After 30mins of driving mine- I can confirm the radio reception is crap
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #76
aussman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 F20 118i Sports

Lots of problem so far:
1. missing door light on production - fixed
2. Broken trim around gear leaver - fixed
3. Faulty IHK (air conditioning failure) needed replacement - fixed
4. Rattle from drivers side air vent - Work in progress
5. Coolant light keeps appearing - Work in progress

Should have stayed with the 3 series I had before never had 1 problem
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #77
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussman
Lots of problem so far:
1. missing door light on production - fixed
2. Broken trim around gear leaver - fixed
3. Faulty IHK (air conditioning failure) needed replacement - fixed
4. Rattle from drivers side air vent - Work in progress
5. Coolant light keeps appearing - Work in progress

Should have stayed with the 3 series I had before never had 1 problem
Don't forget this is a brand new car- they always have niggles in the first year
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #78
railbob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Next Stop F30 320i

Just had the Coolant Bottle and sensor replaced today , whilst I was at the dealers they advised me that the A/C needed reprogrammed or control unit replaced. They said it was part of a recall BMW U.K. were just about to roll out.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #79
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

What is the symptom of the A/C problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #80
alpoimpm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116 ed

Radio - No Signal

Hi,

I picked up my car 6 weeks ago. Since the second day I noticed the following:

- Bluetooth not working, the phone pairs sucessfully, contacts are synced but I have no sound making or receiving calls

- Radio "No Signal" message, happens everyday and goes away after 10/ 20 mins but in the meanwhile all of the iDrive functionalities are disabled such as rear sensors, cd, usb, car configuration etc. For the past two weeks I had also another issue related, the radio turns off suddenly and plays an annoying sound during aprox 30 sec.

Dealer said they can't diagnose the problem because the car id still not exists and new software is necessary. He told me they didn't expect problems so soon. They have contacted BMW requesting for the software update and ... 6 weeks after ... I am still waiting for resolution.

Regards
Attached Images

Last edited by alpoimpm; 07-04-2012 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: Add images
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #81
Brenyaman
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: F20 120D Aut Urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpoimpm View Post
Hi,
Dealer said they can't diagnose the problem because the car id still not exists and new software is necessary.
Regards
That's quite an unacceptable answer from my point of view, and shows a very poor customer service... Especially after 6 weeks I'd definitely complain to a senior BMW representative.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 03:33 AM   #82
railbob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Next Stop F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
What is the symptom of the A/C problem?
A/C spools up for a few seconds then rolls back to normal speed every so often without a command from the processor.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #83
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Has anyone else found the handbrake tension to be really slack? Mine needs to be pulled up to almost maximum extension (and thus basically touching the centre armrest in its forward position) to have any hope at keeping the car from rolling.

I'm going to ask the dealer to have a look at this when I take mine in for its first "niggles resolution" visit next week. Also, I'm going to complain about what I think is heat shield rattle, quite annoying at low revs under power.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #84
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHattingh View Post
Has anyone else found the handbrake tension to be really slack? Mine needs to be pulled up to almost maximum extension (and thus basically touching the centre armrest in its forward position) to have any hope at keeping the car from rolling.

I'm going to ask the dealer to have a look at this when I take mine in for its first "niggles resolution" visit next week.
I have exactly the same. Not a big problem, but should be checked out.
Keep us udated after you've seen the dealer!
      07-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #85
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
Mine is the same as well...if I do not pull the handbrake all the way up, the car tends to roll. Fortunately I have the auto box, so I am on the safe side once I park. I guess it just needs some fine tuning or some regulation.
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #86
Nadav
Rep
Drives: F20

Quote:

I'm going to ask the dealer to have a look at this when I take mine in for its first "niggles resolution" visit next week. Also, I'm going to complain about what I think is heat shield rattle, quite annoying at low revs under power.
Here too, that's why when i park i shift to 1st gear always.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #87
hillbillybear
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: Estoril blue M sport.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadav View Post
Here too, that's why when i park i shift to 1st gear always.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #88
Latito
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F30 320i M Sport

Garage List
2012 BMW 116i  [0.00]
Quote:

+1 to the Handbrake issue...keep us posted on a solution Martin.
Appreciate 0