BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Introduction - My new F21 118d M-Sport

06-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #23
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Welcome!
      06-18-2015, 10:46 PM   #24
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Ah, the age old debate
Track V Road.
I like both for their very different driving characteristics.
I do like the balance of my 1er
The good thing here, is that we all have a rear wheel drive car (various models) that likes to be driven and is very controllable even on the edge, whether it be on the street, track or the open road.
After departing Europe in past few days, I can say that some of you do get the best of both worlds (autobahns and alpine drives)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 03:22 AM   #25
Ashley1995
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E30 325i & F21 118d M Sport

Well the car is here and is awaiting to be registered with the dealer. Should be able to collect in a couple of days!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #26
Ashley1995
United Kingdom
Rep

Well i went to see it today, I am collecting on Tuesday!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #27
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

And the smell of a new car. There must be quite some happiness, I guess. Congratulations!

3 miles so far? That's what it must be. Mine had around 19 kilometres at pick up.

Are the rims mouse grey (to please the crowd )? It seemed you liked to shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley1995 View Post
Well i went to see it today, I am collecting on Tuesday!
Tuesday was yesterday, wasn't it? But there's still many to come! Seriously, they aren't exactly fast, are they? Or is it you?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #28
ammo23
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 (GO8) M Sport Pro incoming

Looks lovely mate, and great spec. Haven't seen many 3dr, really suits it
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #29
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I really like the LCI front end want to get that popped onto mine sometime if possible
      08-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #30
Ashley1995
United Kingdom
Rep

Well it's been about a month since i picked the car up and I'm loving it so far. So easy and comfortable to drive. I've done almost 1200 miles already.

Pictures to follow
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:45 AM   #31
dishy
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Ashley! Welcome. I'm also from Surrey but I'm from Carshalton (near Sutton and Croydon). I used to own a white E30 325 mtec 2. Pic included. I do have a much better pic somewhere from the front where I had installed angel eye headlights I had shipped over from America. Also had the E36 M3 wing mirrors which were electric and fully working. Also had a ECU chip which was a copy of a well known make (cant remember which though). It definitely made the engine more responsive but fuel consumption sky rocketed. Used to be able to get from Surrey to Yorkshire on half a tank of fuel before the chip. After the chip I needed a full tank of fuel for the same journey, and that was driving as gently as I could.
When I first got the E30 I done 1000 miles within the first week. Used to go over to Essex every other night with my mate to see these girls. Oh the joys of being young haha. One thing I did like about the E30 though was it's ability to drift in the rain. Lots of fun.
ps. now working away in Australia. Nice to see someone on here from my county at least. Are you anywhere near from where I'm from?

Tony
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #32
Ashley1995
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishy View Post
Hi Ashley! Welcome. I'm also from Surrey but I'm from Carshalton (near Sutton and Croydon). I used to own a white E30 325 mtec 2. Pic included. I do have a much better pic somewhere from the front where I had installed angel eye headlights I had shipped over from America. Also had the E36 M3 wing mirrors which were electric and fully working. Also had a ECU chip which was a copy of a well known make (cant remember which though). It definitely made the engine more responsive but fuel consumption sky rocketed. Used to be able to get from Surrey to Yorkshire on half a tank of fuel before the chip. After the chip I needed a full tank of fuel for the same journey, and that was driving as gently as I could.
When I first got the E30 I done 1000 miles within the first week. Used to go over to Essex every other night with my mate to see these girls. Oh the joys of being young haha. One thing I did like about the E30 though was it's ability to drift in the rain. Lots of fun.
ps. now working away in Australia. Nice to see someone on here from my county at least. Are you anywhere near from where I'm from?

Tony
Tony,

Nice looking E30.
Your not wrong, they are a heap of fun to drive. Can be tricky in the wet though.
Im from Horley near Redhill so very close to you as it happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #33
dishy
Private First Class
Rep

I didn't find my E30 tricky at all, in fact even without an LSD (long story about that LSD) I found the rear end of the car so predictable it was effortless to control in a drift. Very rare that one wheel would spin. May be it was a combination of the cheap crappy kumho 235/35/18 tyres and how low the car sat. One of many events was drifting around a roundabout, managed 2 laps of it completely sideways, 3 up. Probably the most fun I've had in a car that wasn't quick.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 12:55 AM   #34
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I found the E30s a little tricky in the wet with stock suspension and open differential. With modified suspension and LSD, they were very tail happy but easy to control in the wet. As a driver, you could decide instantly between oversteer and understeer with the pedals. The F20 is not like that at all. It is pretty much always in balance, and not throttle sensitive. I think the F20 is faster in the rain than the E30, but more difficult to drift.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 01:18 AM   #35
dishy
Private First Class
Rep

I agree with that, ovekam

I tried having my M135 sideways, If I try with the electronics on, it starts to go but then it's like the wheels get sucked to the floor and it just kind of stops and this is when it's wet! If I turn all the electronics off, by switching to sport+ and holding down the traction control button for 5 or 10 seconds, then the back end will go completely out, almost to the point of no return. I've not been able to drift it yet. I'm also a little scared to try, for many reasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 02:56 AM   #36
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
I agree with that, ovekam

I tried having my M135 sideways, If I try with the electronics on, it starts to go but then it's like the wheels get sucked to the floor and it just kind of stops and this is when it's wet! If I turn all the electronics off, by switching to sport+ and holding down the traction control button for 5 or 10 seconds, then the back end will go completely out, almost to the point of no return. I've not been able to drift it yet. I'm also a little scared to try, for many reasons.
You do not need to enable Sport+, as DSC Off will override that setting anyway, and give you Comfort engine mapping. It also enables the fake differential brake. It is possible to drift the car. The steering is quick and precise, and will provide decent feedback on the limit. The main problem is the combination of differential brake lag and turbo lag from the engine. You need to have some skills to predict how the car will behave, so you can apply correct throttle early enough.

Installing a real, mechanical LSD will surely make it easier, and should be mandatory on a powerful car like the M135i.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 03:24 AM   #37
dishy
Private First Class
Rep

I did not know about the differential brake but I was thinking if this was possible, and I also wondered why they didn't include an LSD on this powerful car as there must be a reason. I agree LSD should be included.

How does the fake LSD brake work? Is this part of stability control? I prefer the sport engine mapping as when I enabled it, throttle response is 10x greater. However I can now sense that the throttle response has lessened since using it more. I guess the car has learned somewhat how I drive.

Sorry:

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 05:20 AM   #38
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

The fake differential brake is simply some software using the individual brakes on the rear wheels to intervene if one wheel is spinning more than the other. It works okay, but not as smoothly and quickly as a real LSD. The fake differential brake is only enabled when DSC is disabled.

It is not possible to have sport throttle pedal mapping with DSC Off. Only comfort mapping.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 05:32 AM   #39
dishy
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the explanation. I understand the concept, actually I came up with the idea on my own and wondered if it was already being done. I wasn't aware that it was already.
Ok so if I want to go sideways just hold the traction button in for 5 or 10 secs

I don't follow what you mean about the sporty throttle mapping? In my car I find that eco pro seems very delayed on the throttle, you have to push the pedal far in pedal travel for any response. Sport mode chucks you back in your seat when you lightly touch the throttle. Comfort mode is somewhere in between this, I find.
Although I can't tell the difference if any between sport and sport+ mode in terms of throttle sensitivity.

I guess we have different experiences?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 05:39 AM   #40
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
I don't follow what you mean about the sporty throttle mapping? In my car I find that eco pro seems very delayed on the throttle, you have to push the pedal far in pedal travel for any response. Sport mode chucks you back in your seat when you lightly touch the throttle. Comfort mode is somewhere in between this, I find.
Although I can't tell the difference if any between sport and sport+ mode in terms of throttle sensitivity.

I guess we have different experiences?
There is a difference in throttle mapping between Eco Pro, Comfort and Sport. We agree on this.

Sport+ has the same mapping as Sport, and DSC Off has the same mapping as Comfort. You can not combine disabling DSC with the sport throttle mapping. It is like this on all BMWs.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2015, 05:43 AM   #41
dishy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
There is a difference in throttle mapping between Eco Pro, Comfort and Sport. We agree on this.

Sport+ has the same mapping as Sport, and DSC Off has the same mapping as Comfort. You can not combine disabling DSC with the sport throttle mapping. It is like this on all BMWs.
Cool thanks, I didn't know that and hadn't noticed
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 02:18 AM   #42
dishy
Private First Class
Rep

Update: I tried that DSC off mode and ohhhh does the ass end come out now. Very happy. I drove a couple of friends out to an event we had in the countryside on the weekend and the roundabouts were a lot of fun. You're right, the electronic action of the brake is definitely not as smooth or as quick as a real LSD, but I am happy with this.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #43
Rix313
BMW Fanboy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 4x E30 + F21 M140i LCI2

Love it. Welcome.
Appreciate 0