BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Engine ticking

08-25-2015, 02:25 PM   #1
Egeira
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i F20 2012

Unhappy Engine ticking

Hi all!

This noise appeared around 50 000 km on my 2012 F20. Dealership suggested that we change the timing chain tensioner but at the same time giving away that it was a shot in the dark.

During the disassemble they noted that the old one was a bit loose and after replacing it the noise was gone. I picked up the car and was delighted to not hear that damn ticking. After taking a short 5 min drive I parked the car just to notice the ticking again. The conclusion here is that the tensioner had nothing to with it and that the noise appears more clearly when the engine is warm.

So we're back at the dealership and they have another look. They notice a small damage on the fan belt and try to convince me that this is it. It makes no sense to me. Where is the relation to engine temperature?

It feels like they (authorized dealership btw) are not helping here. I'm having a hard time to get these random attempts to accumulate towards the same deductible with my insurance company.

Anyone recognize this noise? Should I just add it to the pile of "normal" F20 noise and ignore it?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 02:53 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

It sounds like normal engine noise to me. It is not unusual that the engine gets a bit more noisy when warm, as the oil gets thinner.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

To me, it only reminds of "I Think I'm Paranoid" (Garbage). If I had it I don't think I would notice. Listening repeatedly I can say it sounds like "nothing special" at most: let it take another 50000 km. to develop into anything indicative.

Why don't you add some firewood accelerating? If it were a mechanical fault it should get more explicit (or finally break down to discover ), probably. If it just vanishes in the noise otherwise - enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #4
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Direct injection petrol engines do sound more like a Diesel nowadays
(they seem to have a bit of similar rattle)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #5
Avian
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2020 F44 BMW M235i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Thumbs up Engine Noise Is Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egeira View Post
Hi all!

This noise appeared around 50 000 km on my 2012 F20. Dealership suggested that we change the timing chain tensioner but at the same time giving away that it was a shot in the dark.

During the disassemble they noted that the old one was a bit loose and after replacing it the noise was gone. I picked up the car and was delighted to not hear that damn ticking. After taking a short 5 min drive I parked the car just to notice the ticking again. The conclusion here is that the tensioner had nothing to with it and that the noise appears more clearly when the engine is warm.

So we're back at the dealership and they have another look. They notice a small damage on the fan belt and try to convince me that this is it. It makes no sense to me. Where is the relation to engine temperature?

It feels like they (authorized dealership btw) are not helping here. I'm having a hard time to get these random attempts to accumulate towards the same deductible with my insurance company.

Anyone recognize this noise? Should I just add it to the pile of "normal" F20 noise and ignore it?

Thanks in advance!
Hi Egeira,

I've had my 118i for almost 2 years now and the engine clip you have sounds exactly like my car since the day I bought it. I'm going say you can add it to your "normal" F20 noises list and ignore it. I hope I've helped in some remote way.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
Egeira
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i F20 2012

The replies are comforting in some weird way heh but actually the ticking is gone after getting a new fan belt yesterday. If this is because I decided to ignore it or the proper conditions haven occurred yet I don't know. Let's hope it stays the f* away

Best regards!
Appreciate 0