BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Success! F20 fixed to obey my bidding

07-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
cmpsalvestrini
Rep
Drives: 116i

Success! F20 fixed to obey my bidding

Well I've done it.

I was very annoyed at my 2014 116i ASS "feature" that had it engage at every engine restart. I was pretty much resigned to grind my teeth at the bureaucrat who mandated this thing to be active at all times and push the button every damn time. For safety reasons, I decided that this feature needed to be permanently turned OFF in my car. I don't give a squat about the 2 mg of CO2 it saves, or the 1 liter per 100 km that it saves. I care about the steering wheel ceasing to function when the engine stops at idle, which happened to me under circumstances where it should *not* have happened, and in the 20 odd sensors that can malfunction (brake, accelerator, inclination, idling, steering wheel position and those are just a few I can think of). I could swear that under the guise of "fuel economy" car makers are really introducing programmed obsolescence in our cars with this.

Thanks to this forum I was able to educate myself and learn that I don't have to bend to the diktat of the establishment.

I used the tools that people so kindly indicated in the various threads, and make my car fun and (to me) safe to drive again. Now my car's ASS is off by default, and if it is coded to be on by default again by the dealer, I can respond back and recode it to what my choice is.

Because it is *my* car and I drive it in the setting that *I* want. And I do *not* have to push a button every time to enforce *my* settings.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #2
SpeedTrip
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i LCI-2 Alpine

Garage List
you wouldnt believe the (email & in yer face) arguments I've had about ASS with the last 2 cars ... with my 5 series 2 years or so back, I escalated it to the MD of BMW UK, who had a flunky inform me that there was no way to change the default - I sent him a copy of the F-series Cheat Sheet to show what could be coded !
He gave up and referred me to the dealers service dept, who refused to do it gratis, so I did it myself after some research ...

Tried again with this new M135i and this time the Service manager wouldnt do it at all as it would negate a BMWs published eco figures - FFS !

I happily pointed out that he'd better recode my old car that I'd chopped in - not a happy bunny but eventually saw the irony ...

However its a lot harder now that they are trimming the files and moving functions to renamed modules in the latest 2015 coding ...

320i *2, 323i, 520i *2, 540i, 535i, 840i, E36 M5, 328i, 530i, 320d, 535d, M135i, M140i * 2
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
cmpsalvestrini
Rep

I think it's starting to be more a matter of this being a right and a convenience. If this keeps up I might consider with enough support to start a petition or even push for legal action so that this is set to a safe, off-by-default setting. I would be happy to use start/stop, if it was in my power to use it how I want to and especially *when* I want to, instead of having it rammed down my throat in a setting that causes my mother anxiety and makes me want to punch in the face whoever decided that start/stop is a good or desirable thing. I will not compromise my safety for the sake of a few cc of gas or a few mg more of CO2. I'm sure E-sys can still handle it, unless they encrypt things the way MB does...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 08:35 AM   #4
dizx
Second Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Can you please provide the actual coding that you changed?
      08-09-2015, 07:09 AM   #5
cmpsalvestrini
Rep

I changed two parameters: in FEM_BODY section using Esys, in section 3203 TCMaster, I think the relevant parameters are TCA_MSA_DEFAULT_OFF and TCA_MSA_MEMORY, they were both set to nicht_aktiv, I setboth to aktiv
Appreciate 1