BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Software version updates

10-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 125d

Garage List
Software version updates

Got a test drive in a new 1 series F20 yesterday. It has black panel display like mine but I notice they have changed the blue bar (eff dym) to say "charge" and I noticed the auto stop kicks in much sooner when you stop (auto box)
These are obviously tweaks since I got my f21 (nov '12)
I ask service guy at my dealer if I can get the latest software for my car but he got lost in translation and started rambling on about changing modules under the hood etc etc. he also check his PC to see if any upgrades were flagging for my 125d but nothing.
My understanding of this Is he will only have a flagged upgrade if it's something major e.g lights don't come on at night.
I tried again to explain that I wanted to know if I can have the latest software version eg July 13. Installed on my car to give me the new symbols on the dash or at least the faster auto start/stop and god knows what else has been updated.

Can anyone here shead some light on this subject as I would like to have some ammo before I go down and challenge my dealer about updates again

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I am pretty sure they can update the firmware in your car, but they don't want to do it for free. It takes several hours, as they must update a lot of systems to latest version to be sure they work perfectly together.

If something significant is changed, they will get that flag that tells them to upgrade the firmware on your car. It happened to mine. They told me the important changes were something about the rain sensor and the service counters for brake pads. There were also some new graphics in the instrument panel. When they have this flag, they will do it for free.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

just make up some crap about your auto wipers not engaging when you think they should, or auto mirrors not re-positioning to the correct place when you get in the car..

they'll probably do a courtesy software update just to make you go away
      01-27-2014, 05:27 AM   #4
GeoBem007
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F21 M135i

Got an update for mine last week. Don't recall any significant changes in the speedo and all.
My replacement car was an older type F20 and it had older dials and not the latest CIC, so comparing to that I was already a level up
The software update made my entire CIC a lot faster. It boots faster and when scrolling through the menu there is no lag. Evertyhing goes very smooth.

The update was given to me because I needed my fog lights disabled with the M-Performance bumper. I have a maintenance contract so it would've been free of charge for me anyway.
Appreciate 0