BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Rust on seat base

10-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #45
Blaggy
England
Rep
Drives: F20 116ED Sparkling Bronze

I have just checked my wife's Jan 2012 116i Sport and the rust is very similar to yours oneonesix, have you taken yours to a dealer yet?
Has anyone had this resolved by a dealer or do they reject it as not a fault, would be interested to know.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #46
OneOneSix
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i Shadow Edition

Not yet, but I will if it gets noticeably worse.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #47
misanty
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D GT

Mine has been into the dealers - their response was "They are all like that sir" and commented they can't justify swapping them out as replacements would also have the same fault. What was interesting is they said that as they are not visible to the passengers they don't consider it to be a problem.

I'm not happy with this point of view - as far as I can tell it appears to be as evidence of 'built in obsolescence' - i.e. by the time it becomes a real problem the car will likely be being recycled....
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #48
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Guess what (expected)
My F20 just delivered also has the rust under the seats

I am informed by BMW service here that the seat frames are an alloy and that the rust look is only a reaction from a cleaner used when they put the seat together. It will not effect the metal.

My Dealer is organising for the seats to be removed, cleaned and coated with a protective coating whilst I am away on my next trip. They will also do an inspection behind the dash vents.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #49
powershots80
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F20

I collected my car last week and take a few photos of the seat frame.

The local dealer has sprayed a layer of black paint on it.

Rust is visiable on the hinge

The other hinge is painted

And found a 2" long deep scratch, most likely introduced when they remove/install the seat for painting.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #50
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

Update: Here in Peru, I received a response from my dealer and told me that BMW is shipping a protective coating solution to be applied and no new pieces or replacement parts are required. Now I'll wait for 30 days or so until the solution arrives.

I'll let you know!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #51
EnI
Secret Agent
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Joy Machine

This is a very disgraceful issue for BMW!

Rust in a cabin. In a BMW car - a premium product & brand. Not acceptable!

IMO it's quite a scandal worthy of a PR disaster.

I love BMW very much, but this is just too much (not to be bothered & disappointed).

I still can't believe this is coming from MY mouth.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #52
fede2010
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 120d f20 m-sport

this is my f20

passenger's side:

driver's side:

tomorrow i go to bmw
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #53
corail
Rep
Drives: F20 116i Sportline Deep Sea Bl

Any news about this rust problem?
      10-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #54
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

My F20 went in yesterday to have its seats removed and get the treatment on the metal parts. They needed to keep it overnight. I am also getting the Start/Stop changed to 'always off' unless I want it on.

The Service manager says that the frames are made of a alloy and this surface discolouration is not 'corrosive' rust but a 'reaction' from cleaning solvents used when the car was manufactured.

He says it is a surface only problem and would not effect the structure of the seat long term, however BMW will get their technicians to remove the discolouration and coat the metal with a special coating so it is sealed against solvents that could be used to clean the interior later on.

I think the translation of this reason by BMW is

'We got caught trying to save a buck, and will now have to fix it'

Funny, I just recieved this email from Nielsens. I will wait until I get my F20 back before doing it.

As part of their commitment to continually improve their service, BMW has commissioned Nielsen to undertake customer research.
We invite you to participate by completing a survey about buying your BMW 1 Series Hatch. The survey, which is fully endorsed by the Australian Automotive Industry, should take about 20 minutes and the information you provide will help BMW continue to provide exceptional customer service.

Yours sincerely,

Andrew Dye
Associate Director, Automotive
Nielsen
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #55
js39
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 125i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
My F20 went in yesterday to have its seats removed and get the treatment on the metal parts. They needed to keep it overnight. I am also getting the Start/Stop changed to 'always off' unless I want it on.

The Service manager says that the frames are made of a alloy and this surface discolouration is not 'corrosive' rust but a 'reaction' from cleaning solvents used when the car was manufactured.

He says it is a surface only problem and would not effect the structure of the seat long term, however BMW will get their technicians to remove the discolouration and coat the metal with a special coating so it is sealed against solvents that could be used to clean the interior later on.

I think the translation of this reason by BMW is

'We got caught trying to save a buck, and will now have to fix it'

Funny, I just recieved this email from Nielsens. I will wait until I get my F20 back before doing it.

As part of their commitment to continually improve their service, BMW has commissioned Nielsen to undertake customer research.
We invite you to participate by completing a survey about buying your BMW 1 Series Hatch. The survey, which is fully endorsed by the Australian Automotive Industry, should take about 20 minutes and the information you provide will help BMW continue to provide exceptional customer service.

Yours sincerely,

Andrew Dye
Associate Director, Automotive
Nielsen
Hi AusF20,

I was aware of the seat base rust issue but have still ordered a F20 125i.

I've asked my dealer to have my car built on the Dec 2012 or Jan 2013 production line as I expect BMW will already have this issue resolved by then.

I've seen some photos of the 1-Series after works against seat rusting being done by the dealer, I think they've done a good job, visually.

Please keep us posted, and hope you get your car back perfectly soon!

p.s - Start/Stop changed to 'always off' <- did they charge you any $$ on this?

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #56
Mickcasey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2.18i F22

Dealer told me first step bmw offers black sprey paint until they find a final solution. And they made it my car. Im waiting final solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #57
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

lol bmw is just as premium as this:

seriously look at fede2010 third pic... "only cosmetic, not corrosive rust" yea right. That welded joint will snap like a chicken-neck in a collision some years down the road. Or maybe just leaning back in the seat will be enough

Way to go bmw, just put some black spray-paint on it and it's all good That is the definition of premium for sure!!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #58
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

I have just got my F20 back. I took pictures of the rust and provide them to my dealer.
I am pleased to say that the rusty stuff is gone and a clear coat (sealer) by BMW DE has been applied.
The metal is still the same colour but without the rusty spots.
I was informed that the work is guaranteed for 10 years.

As for the Stop/start
It is now set to the mode I have it in when I turn the engine off.
I am very happy that I can now turn it on or off as I like and it stays that way.
Having to pay to have it done did not impress me.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 03:38 AM   #59
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

Quote:
I have just got my F20 back. I took pictures of the rust and provide them to my dealer.
I am pleased to say that the rusty stuff is gone and a clear coat (sealer) by BMW DE has been applied.

As for the Stop/start
I am very happy that I can now turn it on or off as I like and it stays that way.
Please show us some pics ausf20.

Great to hear that you have a serious dealear who actually takes responsibility. Unfortnunately that does not seem to be the case everywhere.
I find it disturbing that bmw does not go out with a recall on all F20 to have this looked at and sorted. As it is now it seems like only us the nerds/enthusiasts who really fight for it will have it done. 99% of all F20 drivers out there will never notice this issue and it won't be taken care of on their cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #60
js39
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
That's great to hear!

Quote:
As for the Stop/start
Ok I will try asking my dealer to have this included for free tomorrow for my F20 (not yet built)

Thanks for sharing all the info AusF20!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #61
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by js39 View Post
That's great to hear!

Ok I will try asking my dealer to have this included for free tomorrow for my F20 (not yet built)

Thanks for sharing all the info AusF20!

If you have it done prior to delivery, you will be up for any duties and taxes on the different emission rate. Best to talk to your dealer and have them give you a price for them to do it after you take delivery.

My dealer showed me the costs ($786.40) if I wanted it done before delivery because of the higher taxes and duties that would be applied the full vehicle price.

It should be somewhere around $300.00 incl GST, if you have it done after delivery.

It is still a lot for a software change. After all, It is BMW we are talking about
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #62
js39
Rep

Quote:
If you have it done prior to delivery, you will be up for any duties and taxes on the different emission rate. Best to talk to your dealer and have them give you a price for them to do it after you take delivery.

My dealer showed me the costs ($786.40) if I wanted it done before delivery because of the higher taxes and duties that would be applied the full vehicle price.

It should be somewhere around $300.00 incl GST, if you have it done after delivery.

It is still a lot for a software change. After all, It is BMW we are talking about
Oh...I thought it only costs like $50 Aud....

Let's see how I go tomorrow.. atm it's still a bit hard for me to realize that they're trying to make some $$ through this "software change".

But yes, it is BMW we are talking about after all .
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #63
powershots80
Hong Kong
Rep

black paint spray is definitely a temporary solution

I just found there is rust emerged from the newly sprayed black paint by BMWHK before the car was delivered a few weeks ago.

The black paint spray is definitely a temporary solution and BWM AG should replace it with new defect free part.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #64
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

Hi all
This the before and after of the underside of the passenger seat after the treatment.
I was informed yesterday, that this is a interim measure by BMW until a full solution can be found.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 02:03 AM   #65
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

I heard something interesting today
Apparently, the Seat manufacturer that supplies BMW also supplied seats to other German and European car makers.

They think that the (oxide bloom -rusty snowflakes) on their seat base is a reaction to salt crystals in moist air. It could be at the factory (next to a motorway) and/or when their trucks transport the seats to the car companies. They are blaming the salting of the roads in Germany. They say it will not deteriorate the seat frame.

It is something like rust on 304 stainless steel. It only sits on the surface and looks ugly.

I gather this is why BMW is providing the current solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #66
powershots80
Hong Kong
Rep

That's a interesting story, however, contamination causing the seat base rust is in direct contact of the metal, it was happened before the 1st layer of paint was applied, so it was at the factory of the seat base manufacturer. That's why even after applied a new layer of black paint, the rust still happened afterwards, i guess it is like corrosion rather than normal rust.

Once rust started and continue fuelled with air and moisture, it will continue to rust.

Last edited by powershots80; 10-22-2012 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0