BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Windscreen replaced today 5 weeks old

12-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

Windscreen replaced today 5 weeks old

To cut a long story short got pelted by an airborne brick on the motorway yesterday, top left hand cracked and huge smashed.

Called up to get a replacement and booked in this morning, they did ask if I had auto wipers, I don't but I did mention on here a few weeks back that there is a sensor in the screen, anyhow when they removed the old screen you could clearly see this sensor as it was wired from the car, new screen in all sorted.

But now the wipers aren't as they were before, I have the interment speed and full, but that's it, no 3rd fast speed and they don't cancel off like before. I am really perplexed that somehow my car has the rain sensor but not the stalk, or has the car detected new and gone into a windows blue screen of death?

The chap at the windscreen place said it was strange to have the sensor in but not the switch gear.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

I also have a sensor in the windscreen (just behind the rear view mirror) and dont have the automatic headlights or wipers. I quieried this sensor with the BMW service department and was told that its part of the automatic airconditioning unit (one of the anti fog sensors) that my m-sport has. Do you have this a/c unit aswell?

I have the intermittent and 2 speed full windscreen wiper options like you said you originally had. Maybe something happened when they removed your wipers? doesnt sound likely, but its all i can think of now. I did think that mine was using this sensor for windscreen wiper speeds, as they get slower when i stopped; but i just gather this is taken from the speed sensors instead (nice addition i must say)

Anyone else got any information on whether this sensor is used for anything light/wiper wise?

Thanks
Appreciate 0