BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW CEO Krueger collapses on stage at Frankfurt auto show

09-15-2015, 11:16 PM   #45
Tattedtwice
Private
Rep
Drives: 2 doors, 4 wheels

I watched the clip, expecting to get a good chuckle, but it actually bothered me a bit. Felt kinda bad for the man. Glad it's nothing serious.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 04:47 AM   #46
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Looks like a mild stroke.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 06:18 AM   #47
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Thread denouement imminent! Hang on please, I need to make more popcorn.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 07:54 AM   #48
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Really? Because that's NOT someone's son? How is that different?

Because YOU don't know him doesn't make it any different.
I'm not sure how many times I have to explain this. Do I have to try to draw pictures to help you comprehend it?

This would be like having someone's son (who's an adult by the way, a grown individual), have something happen to him, end up being completely fine in the end, and people make light of the situation at their expense once we know that they're ok.

No one here would be poking fun at the situation if it ended up being something serious like a stroke or a seizure, but as stated by BMW, he simply canceled the rest of his appointments, rested up all day yesterday and is fine.

Not sure why that's so hard to comprehend, but again, you did think that somehow comparing this to making light of situations about children who are severely hurt were somehow one and the same so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

It's like the time I was at a wedding once and one of the bridesmaids during the ceremony collapsed, exactly like that. A few of us ran to her aid to make sure she was ok, gave her some water and as the day went on, we realized she was fine (locked her knees). We made light of the situation to help her feel better about it. Man glad you weren't there to be a debbie downer for that too, pontificating about how she's someone's daughter or something ridiculous like that.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 08:03 AM   #49
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Since you can't figure out the context of my post...well...I can't help you there. Someday you'll understand.
No I got it, if something happened to someone close to me and they ended up being 100% fine from it, I wouldn't care if someone poked fun at them.

Why? Because I don't have a stick up my ass and realize harmless jokes are normal and a way for people to make themselves feel better. If it turned out Mr. Krueger had this happen due to some medical condition or otherwise had a severe medical episode, then yes your comment would be 100% valid, but he didn't hence why you sound so ridiculous.

Enjoy living your days being the overly sensitive/protective dad, your children will grow to love that I'm sure. You strike me as the kinda guy who'd want their children to win a participation trophy for coming in last in something as to not hurt their feelings.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 08:05 AM   #50
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
the only thing 'funny' here how everyone thinks they are SO clever these days and can come up with unwanted captions to ridicule somebody's mishap or problems....when in reality none of the 'humorous' replies i have seen are clever or funny at all. typically generic and uninteresting from the generic and uninteresting.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 08:08 AM   #51
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
the only thing 'funny' here how everyone thinks they are SO clever these days and can come up with unwanted captions to ridicule somebody's mishap or problems....when in reality none of the 'humorous' replies i have seen are clever or funny at all. typically generic and uninteresting from the generic and uninteresting.
ITT: A lot of people who lack a sense of humor and are needlessly sensitive. I suppose maybe I just have a self depreciating sense of humor and not afraid to make fun of myself when something happens to me so I don't find it a big deal to do it when minor things (yeah, that was a minor thing that happened) happen to others.

So be it.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #52
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
ITT: A lot of people who lack a sense of humor and are needlessly sensitive. I suppose maybe I just have a self depreciating sense of humor and not afraid to make fun of myself when something happens to me so I don't find it a big deal to do it when minor things (yeah, that was a minor thing that happened) happen to others.
So be it.
Most over here have a good sport approach - no sour grapes. But IMHO a distinction can be made:
  • most videos of celebrities falling on/off stage: they fell because they slipped over something or misjudged the stage; most of the times they get up on their feet again unharmed; those mishaps are a source of poking fun at, because they are a celebrity and considered having made an error of judgment;
  • however what befell the BMW CEO is different: he did not slip over something or misjudged the stage; judging by the footage, he suffered a mishap inside his body causing him to lose his equilibrium (almost fainted); his fall on stage did not result from an error of judgment (except if he was in a terrible bad shape or overly nervous and knew that he was at risk of collapsing, which I doubt); personally I don't think that's funny.
I remember a few years ago that I had to give speech with an important person during a special annual event. The morning of the event, the guy - overly nervous - lost his voice. A doctor came and advised him not to speech. So that afternoon, in a room packed with people, I gave my speech and someone else had to read his full speech (whilst he was sitting next to the stand-in). Amazingly, during the evening festivities, the guy got his voice back. The incident I'm referring to, was clearly stress-related.

09-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #53
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Most over here have a good sport approach - no sour grapes. But IMHO a distinction can be made:
  • most videos of celebrities falling on/off stage: they fell because they slipped over something or misjudged the stage; most of the times they get up on their feet again unharmed; those mishaps are a source of poking fun at, because they are a celebrity and considered having made an error of judgment;
  • however what befell the BMW CEO is different: he did not slip over something or misjudged the stage; judging by the footage, he suffered a mishap inside his body causing him to lose his equilibrium (almost fainted); his fall on stage did not result from an error of judgment (except if he was in a terrible bad shape or overly nervous and knew that he was at risk of collapsing, which I doubt); personally I don't think that's funny.
I remember a few years ago that I had to give speech with an important person during a special annual event. The morning of the event, the guy - overly nervous - lost his voice. A doctor came and advised him not to speech. So that afternoon, in a room packed with people, I gave my speech and someone else had to read his full speech (whilst he was sitting next to the stand-in). Amazingly, during the evening festivities, the guy got his voice back. The incident I'm referring to, was clearly stress-related.

Fair distinction, I hold them as one of the same provided that no one is hurt but your key distinction on whether it was error by the individual themselves is more than fair.

I believe what ultimately happened was he had vertigo from extensive work travel since the travel demands for executives for international corporations can be nuts.

Obviously I think we're all very happy he's ok. You could tell it was likely vertigo since he was talking just fine up until the moment he started to fall.

I know if something like that happened to me, I'd poke fun at myself for it since at the end of the day, I'm ok and healthy.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2015, 09:53 AM   #54
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Yeah, because your thread contributions are always just so insightful and memorable. Get over yourself, driving what is essentially a 135i with wider fenders and some ///M badges doesn't make you all that.
Appreciate 3
      09-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #55
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Quote:
The arbiter of humor has spoken.

So much butt hurt in this thread, you guys must really be fun to hang around with. I'm sure everyone complaining has NEVER got a chuckle out of someone's misfortune or laughed at a meme. Life is short and tough enough with out a little humor thrown in.
Appreciate 2
      09-16-2015, 09:58 AM   #56
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
The arbiter of humor has spoken.

So much butt hurt in this thread, you guys must really be fun to hang around with. I'm sure everyone complaining has NEVER got a chuckle out of someone's misfortune or laughed at a meme. Life is short and tough enough with out a little humor thrown in.
No kidding, it's incredible what this thread has devolved to. I feel bad for fercutis that he has to try and explain it to these ninnies.
Appreciate 2
      09-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #57
ufgtrs2007
dentite
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, M2C, JLU392, e92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Glad he's okay. Stress coupled with lack of sleep and dehydration can cause this. The good news is that he was able to get right back up. If it was a TIA or stroke, that would not be the case.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #58
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Well since this escalated quickly I may as well throw my two cents in...

The same joke being used over and over is tedious, irrespective of it's original context.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #59
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Funny you bring up weddings, similar thing happened to me while I was best man (thank god for that hand rail...). It's just a stress / anxiety thing that happens. Dudes OK, chill...

Appreciate 1
      09-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #60
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Yeah, because your thread contributions are always just so insightful and memorable. Get over yourself, driving what is essentially a 135i with wider fenders and some ///M badges doesn't make you all that.

let me know when you've grown up. then we can talk...

and you should probably educate yourself about the 1M while you're at it.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #61
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

i'm going to throw out another theory:

have any of you stepped on and off of a slowly rotating turntable like they keep those cars on? if you took euro delivery, you probably have. stepping from the rotating turntable onto stable ground and vice versa is embarrassingly difficult without looking like a newborn calf. i think some combination of being exhausted/stressed/nervous and that one weird step could have caused the stumble. the platform didn't seem to be rotating at the time... maybe he just misjudged that step and/or his muscle memory acted as though the platform had been rotating. he did stumble while stepping off of the turntable.

Last edited by fourtailpipes; 09-16-2015 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: nevermind. angle was deceiving. see next post, not on turntable.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #62
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
I believe what ultimately happened was he had vertigo from extensive work travel since the travel demands for executives for international corporations can be nuts.
Obviously I think we're all very happy he's ok. You could tell it was likely vertigo since he was talking just fine up until the moment he started to fall.
+1

You can notice in the video below that he starts losing his equilibrium a few moments before the fall. He still manages to correct a first step aside (though his voice slightly changes), unlike a second step backwards.

I feel sorry for him - he must feel embarrassed, though he needn't as it's only human. Can happen to any of us.

And the biker on the side: keeps looking steady ahead of him.

09-16-2015, 12:54 PM   #63
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
let me know when you've grown up. then we can talk...

and you should probably educate yourself about the 1M while you're at it.
I know plenty about it, had a 135i for several years with enough bolt ons to take a dump all over your precious ego booster. Badges and wide fenders mean nothing to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #64
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I like the equilibrium theory, makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the funny ones folks. I enjoy the sense of humor on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 01:10 PM   #65
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I know plenty about it, had a 135i for several years with enough bolt ons to take a dump all over your precious ego booster. Badges and wide fenders mean nothing to me.
Says the guy gloating about the performance of his car
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #66
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
Says the guy gloating about the performance of his car
Appreciate 0