BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > How do get pandora thru bluetooth while charging iPhone?

07-08-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

How do get pandora thru bluetooth while charging iPhone?

I've found that if I plug in my iPhone I can't get access to internet radio through bluetooth, because it defaults to USB. Any clues as to how to fix this?

Also, how do I turn off auto-engine stop permanently? I'm turning it off when I get into the car but frankly, I'd prefer it defaulted to being off.

TIA.
      07-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

Well, I've been told the answer to the second of my questions. Start/stop cannot be turned off permanently.
      07-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
Well, I've been told the answer to the second of my questions. Start/stop cannot be turned off permanently.
It is not impossible, but it involves connecting to the car with a computer and coding it. In some markets, dealers will do it for free, and in others they refuse. Some guys have managed to code it themselves at home.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Matt, I'm not sure what problem you're trying to solve. To run Pandora (or any other iP5 based internet streaming app) you have two choices:
  1. you can either attach the phone to a Lightning cable, and plug that in to the USB port in the centre armrest, which charges the phone, too. For this, via iDrive, you must disable "Music" in the BlueTooth settings but leave Bluetooth enabled for telephone, so you can make and receive calls while driving. The USB connection is probably higher quality, but that doesn't matter so much for internet music/radio streaming. I find this is a good solution for long trips.
  2. Or you can just use BlueTooth streaming (ie, no cable), in which case you ensure both iDrive BlueTooth settings are enabled (music and telephone), and charge the phone from the 12v outlet in front of the gear selector. I find this is good for short trips, and when I'm just in/out of the car frequently, I don't bother with charging unless my phone battery is really low

Originally, I hoped to run iPod/Pandora/Spotify/TuneIn radio from my iPhone, but I ended up putting an old iPod 60Gb in the centre armrest, because it has all my music plus about 30 odd playlists, so it's really easy to find music to match my mood. I now use Pandora via BlueTooth streaming as an alternative, and TuneIn radio so I always have a good connection to the radio stations I listen too.

I'm sure one day, BMW will fully integrate Siri, so I can pick Apps and choose stations/streams by voice control, but that would require @#&*!! Siri to understand what I'm saying a LOT better than is the case today!
Appreciate 0