BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M135i - xDrive or not?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #67
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
24
Rep
1,071
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M135i MT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

+1

Also, the "safety" factor of AWD is over-rated. There's plenty video's on youtube of AWD cars hitting the walls on circuits or loosing control on public roads.

And did you notice yet that all marketing video on Xdrive is about driving in snow/ice conditions? We have that only 3 weeks per year in Belgium...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #68
Shrader
New Member
United Kingdom
0
Rep
18
Posts

 
Drives: Renaultsport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

"We have that only 3 weeks per year in Belgium"

We get it for 2 weeks tops in the UK , RWD for me and Quaife Diff
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #69
omgguysomg
Enlisted Member
Belgium
3
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: BMW F20 M135i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

I'm sure that if you drive like an idiot the xDrive will get you (and others) killed just as easily.

For me though, the xDrive seems like the better choice. I'm using it as my only car, not just a car on the side for some fun on the track. I'm not used to this kind of power (current car is a 163 hp 320d Touring), and I think it will be a lot easier and slightly more safe to drive the xDrive. Yes, I'll lose some of the crazy fun the RWD can deliver, but it will still be an amazing car to drive.

I'm looking at a late April, early May delivery. It will be three very long months
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #70
Darkhold
Lieutenant
Belgium
5
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: BMW F20 M135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Darkhold
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgguysomg View Post
I'm sure that if you drive like an idiot the xDrive will get you (and others) killed just as easily.

For me though, the xDrive seems like the better choice. I'm using it as my only car, not just a car on the side for some fun on the track. I'm not used to this kind of power (current car is a 163 hp 320d Touring), and I think it will be a lot easier and slightly more safe to drive the xDrive. Yes, I'll lose some of the crazy fun the RWD can deliver, but it will still be an amazing car to drive.

I'm looking at a late April, early May delivery. It will be three very long months
Well if you leave the dsc on all the time, you will be safe. However it will also limit the powerdelivery. I had my first sideways fun today. Drove in sport + and its real fun. With nice doseage of the gaspedal it gets away quite nicely even with winter wheels and wet/cold surface.

That will be a long 3 months. Especially the time from production to delivery makes you nervous but its worth the wait i am sure the car will put a smile on your face everytime you drive the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #71
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
24
Rep
1,071
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M135i MT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzioS View Post
The driving mode can be set to SportPlus which onlocks 30:70 distribution and keeps it that way.
Are you sure about that ?
Does it stay in 30:70 also when turning off DTC or DSC alltogether, and while sliding in a corner ?

If yes, I might reconsider and go for the AWD anyway.
During winter I want to drift and slide with DSC off (on abandoned airfield strip) and this might still be possible with AWD if it can be locked in a constant 30:70 distribution with all stability electronics turned off.
Otherwise, RWD is my only choice...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #72
Onehp
Enlisted Member
Sweden
1
Rep
41
Posts

 
Drives: E81 123d (sold)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Just as it is a myth that you'll be safer with awd, it is a myth you can't have fun It all depends on the driver IMHO

If you can do this with a 320d xdrive, than surely you can have fun with a smaller and just about twice as powerful car??



That said, keep it safe folks. I would prefer AWD because it means one can take full advantage of the power on the legal side of the speedlimits... and indeed have fun in the turns when grip levels are (consistently) low.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #73
KoenG
First Lieutenant
Belgium
6
Rep
319
Posts

 
Drives: E39 530i & F10 520d
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Naturally... I'am still flabbergasted with so many adapts tring to sell RWD as superior to AWD! I accept that RWD is better than FWD, but it can't be better than AWD, certainly not in a balanced BMW! And be prepared, the future for high output will be AWD, I have no doubts.

1/ for the extra weigth, AWD only brings little extra and the weight is positioned favourable for the center of gravity.
2/ for efficiency losses, AWD is almost invisible.
3/ for vehicle dynamics either.
4/ for the extra cost of 600, what... are you really not considering it!?

again, M135i AT has to be AWD. no excuses. When you don't order it like this, take some time to council professional help?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #74
omgguysomg
Enlisted Member
Belgium
3
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: BMW F20 M135i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Well, I ordered it in xDrive.

Do you guys think the speed limit info is worth it? Any other options that you would advice for or against?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #75
KoenG
First Lieutenant
Belgium
6
Rep
319
Posts

 
Drives: E39 530i & F10 520d
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgguysomg View Post
Well, I ordered it in xDrive.

Do you guys think the speed limit info is worth it? Any other options that you would advice for or against?

Concerning purity of the car and daily comfort of mind ==> entirely convinced by your choice! The speed limit info is a gizmo. I don't have it on my F10,but frankly... I do 60k kms/yr, I don't really miss it either, wlll you in this car? Will it enhance your satisfaction somehow you think? Personally, I would stay light on the options, here is where BMW is in your wallet to get your hard earned savings! I probably wouldn't, but I don't have any experience. Just my advice: the M135i is already loaded, all the rest that's left on the option list to check is not worth it I guess.

Last edited by KoenG; 02-02-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #76
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
24
Rep
1,071
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M135i MT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Naturally... I'am still flabbergasted with so many adapts tring to sell RWD as superior to AWD!
again, M135i AT has to be AWD. no excuses.
I'm still flabbergasted with you trying to convince everyone that AWD is the best option ?
If I don't care about being the fastest at the traffic lights, or getting the best traction in wet conditions, but if on the other hand I like to play in the wet or snow, pull the handbrake every now and then, and do some regular track time at Francorchamps and like to control the car in bends with the pedal instead of the steering wheel, I think that RWD is clearly the best choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #77
KoenG
First Lieutenant
Belgium
6
Rep
319
Posts

 
Drives: E39 530i & F10 520d
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
I'm still flabbergasted with you trying to convince everyone that AWD is the best option ?
If I don't care about being the fastest at the traffic lights, or getting the best traction in wet conditions, but if on the other hand I like to play in the wet or snow, pull the handbrake every now and then, and do some regular track time at Francorchamps and like to control the car in bends with the pedal instead of the steering wheel, I think that RWD is clearly the best choice.
Well, when you don't like the xDrive trend, just have some patience for a few years, since everything above 300hp/500Nm will become AWD. I just read that the F30 335d will only be available in xDrive, just like the M550d. I'am pretty certain the M5/6 will join fast.

The 1M you're driving is a splendid car, but it would have been greater with the xDrive. It wouldn't have made you less entertained on Francorchamps either. Pulling a hand brake is also possible on a xDrive, and yes, it puts power down on the rear first to propagate over-power slides. The difference is that you won't waste so much torque in frying your rear tires but instead put it in propulsion.

Just look at the car and driver M5/6 comparo, you'll find on this forum somewhere... What a waste: all this smoked rubber could have been converted to traction instead. It's clear why a GTR is so effective!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #78
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
46
Rep
3,053
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Well, when you don't like the xDrive trend, just have some patience for a few years, since everything above 300hp/500Nm will become AWD. I just read that the F30 335d will only be available in xDrive, just like the M550d. I'am pretty certain the M5/6 will join fast.

The 1M you're driving is a splendid car, but it would have been greater with the xDrive. It wouldn't have made you less entertained on Francorchamps either. Pulling a hand brake is also possible on a xDrive, and yes, it puts power down on the rear first to propagate over-power slides. The difference is that you won't waste so much torque in frying your rear tires but instead put it in propulsion.

Just look at the car and driver M5/6 comparo, you'll find on this forum somewhere... What a waste: all this smoked rubber could have been converted to traction instead. It's clear why a GTR is so effective!
Here I also divert from your opinion despite the fact that clinically speaking you are "right": But I can't even think about the 1M without rwd and whatever efficiency and rear bias the xdrive would provide doesn't really matter in that sense.

A GT-R or like sure are more efficient but they are not as much fun as a 1M. And going faster and/or safer from one point to another is not the synonym for a fun vehicle, it may well be just the opposite. 1M is safe enough and efficient enough for my like and it is crazy fun, so that's what I want if I have just one car.

I would buy the M135i in xdrive, auto and 5 door especially if it wouldn't be my only car. I wouldn't change a thing about the 1M though. I hope you understand why.
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #79
ovekvam
Colonel
Norway
30
Rep
2,190
Posts

 
Drives: F20 116i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I wouldn't change a thing about the 1M though. I hope you understand why.
I would have liked it better without turbo. For me, throttle response is more important than power when having fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #80
KoenG
First Lieutenant
Belgium
6
Rep
319
Posts

 
Drives: E39 530i & F10 520d
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Here I also divert from your opinion despite the fact that clinically speaking you are "right": But I can't even think about the 1M without rwd and whatever efficiency and rear bias the xdrive would provide doesn't really matter in that sense.

A GT-R or like sure are more efficient but they are not as much fun as a 1M. And going faster and/or safer from one point to another is not the synonym for a fun vehicle, it may well be just the opposite. 1M is safe enough and efficient enough for my like and it is crazy fun, so that's what I want if I have just one car.

I would buy the M135i in xdrive, auto and 5 door especially if it wouldn't be my only car. I wouldn't change a thing about the 1M though. I hope you understand why.
For me the xDrive would also mean: more fun, since 1) I'am not a Tokyo drift king 2) in Belgium the average allowed speed is 45km/h like you know and then your licence is shreded by d'Hondt. When you say: fun is living on the edge and understand you drive a weapon than can explode in your hands any moment, yes, than RWD is the way to go.

I've driven RWD all my live now (+600tkms) an my only experience was a replacement Audi A5 3.0Tdi AWD, but it was an incredible nice car to drive. You can plant your foot wherever you are, and you just GO, without drama. When you believe that the fun is the first victim of traction, I advice you to test some of the newest xDrives, best in combination with some real poke, like the 330d xDrive for instance (than you test the incredible 8AT also!).

To be clear, the 1M is a pure and epic car like few exist, no doubt about it. When I had it, I would love it every moment. But it's not the best engineering setup for idiots that want to have fun like me I guess. To be honest, I'am afraid that the average M5/6 buyer is not a better pilot than I'am.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #81
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
46
Rep
3,053
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
For me the xDrive would also mean: more fun, since 1) I'am not a Tokyo drift king 2) in Belgium the average allowed speed is 45km/h like you know and then your licence is shreded by d'Hondt. When you say: fun is living on the edge and understand you drive a weapon than can explode in your hands any moment, yes, than RWD is the way to go.

I've driven RWD all my live now (+600tkms) an my only experience was a replacement Audi A5 3.0Tdi AWD, but it was an incredible nice car to drive. You can plant your foot wherever you are, and you just GO, without drama. When you believe that the fun is the first victim of traction, I advice you to test some of the newest xDrives, best in combination with some real poke, like the 330d xDrive for instance (than you test the incredible 8AT also!).

To be clear, the 1M is a pure and epic car like few exist, no doubt about it. When I had it, I would love it every moment. But it's not the best engineering setup for idiots that want to have fun like me I guess. To be honest, I'am afraid that the average M5/6 buyer is not a better pilot than I'am.
Fair enough.

Just to be clear: very few of 1M owners are drift kings or (almost) pro drivers etc. The thing is once you go to concepts like efficiency and ideal set up you also risk ending up with a high speed train. In the case of 1M, the steering is not electro-mechanic or active steering, the gear box is plain 6 speed manual, the e-brake is manual, the suspension is fixed and there is not even a M-drive menu because there are very few things to configure before you start driving anyway (just the traction control and M button for throttle response). Which means that the rwd is not the only part of this car which is not "best engineered set up", the whole car is like that. What matters is the final result, how parts work together and since every car is an integral whole as long as they work in harmony you don't want to alter the car radically. It doesn't feel insecure or at the limit too unless you want it to be which is a personal decision and risk to have.

I am not totally OK with the modern trend that cars are having more and more power, getting much faster in a world with less empty roads and more limitations but they are also getting "easier" to drive thanks to engineering and electronics. I think this is a formula for disaster. Or I am getting old.
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #82
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
24
Rep
1,071
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M135i MT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

I searched on youtube for "M135i xdrive test" and this is the only video I found (with an actual test, the other videos were just video from Paris autoshow presentation of the M135i xdrive)



Mind you, it has 6 minutes of footage, and it's 6 minutes of driving in snow
Where are the real life videos of RWD vs AWD on a race track ?
(not a M135i vs GTR, that is not a fair comparison)


And here is the BMW commercial for Xdrive on M135i:

Mind you, this video is about a "young woman" who is a snowboard champion ("SNOW" again) that wants to be "always in control."

The fact that they use a snowboard girl to market the Xdrive product.. I didn't go to marketing school, but I just use common sense to understand what the target marketing group is then, not ? ...


On BMW website/marketing, Xdrive has a faster 0-62 launch than Sdrive models.
On Porsche website/marketing, a 911 Carrera has a faster 0-62 launch time than the 911 Carrera 4.

Where's the logic ? Or is it just marketing mumbo jumbo after all ?

Last edited by hwelvaar; 02-05-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #83
ovekvam
Colonel
Norway
30
Rep
2,190
Posts

 
Drives: F20 116i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
On BMW website/marketing, Xdrive has a faster 0-62 launch than Sdrive models.
On Porsche website/marketing, a 911 Carrera has a faster 0-62 launch time than the 911 Carrera 4S.

Where's the logic ? Or is it just marketing mumbo jumbo after all ?
I guess the Porsche has a weight distribution where AWD doesn't help all that much during a launch, since the engine is hanging behind the rear axle anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #84
KoenG
First Lieutenant
Belgium
6
Rep
319
Posts

 
Drives: E39 530i & F10 520d
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
I searched on youtube for "M135i xdrive test" and this is the only video I found (with an actual test, the other videos were just video from Paris autoshow presentation of the M135i xdrive)



Mind you, it has 6 minutes of footage, and it's 6 minutes of driving in snow
Where are the real life videos of RWD vs AWD on a race track ?
(not a M135i vs GTR, that is not a fair comparison)


And here is the BMW commercial for Xdrive on M135i:

Mind you, this video is about a "young woman" who is a snowboard champion ("SNOW" again) that wants to be "always in control."

The fact that they use a snowboard girl to market the Xdrive product.. I didn't go to marketing school, but I just use common sense to understand what the target marketing group is then, not ? ...


On BMW website/marketing, Xdrive has a faster 0-62 launch than Sdrive models.
On Porsche website/marketing, a 911 Carrera has a faster 0-62 launch time than the 911 Carrera 4S.

Where's the logic ? Or is it just marketing mumbo jumbo after all ?
They even position it as a driving a capella recording studio here...



Probably having surf and board babes figurating in their promo's is not as much an insult to the blokes buying them? On the other hand, it would work as the perfect catalyst to convince my wife to buy one and put it on my drive yard: because she thinks she will be looking sharp, sportive and it's safe?

Of course MKT is mumbo jumbo, who cares? But this is also true when BMW told us that they would never do diesels, or never would do anything else than RWD, or never woud even consider forced induction, or SUVs, or have an automatic M car. They probably also told us they would never consider AWD for a lot of hard engineering facts. It was all fake purist nonsense to get the money out of your pocket while you where convinced you paid this much for a "pure" car of a "pure" brand while feeling good about it!

I guess we all see the birth of a more feminine BMW, more on practicality, more on safety and economics, and less and less on hard purist natural induced big displacement and multi cilinders with manuals in powerslide actions in locked diffs. Since BMW understood that the decision is finally less and less determined by those aural and mythical elements that are left unexploited in daily commutes anyway.

A carrera has his weight mainly on the rear wheels, make sense that AWD doesn't add as much. When you could check the delta on a high powered Audi, you'll notice that it brings even a lot more than on the BMW... but high powered FWD Audi's don't exist, so you can't compare this.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:18 AM   #85
dkp7
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: M135i xdrive
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Poland

iTrader: (0)

comfort in m135i xdrive vs. regular 1 series

Hi Everybody ! This is my first post on this forum. In my country I cannot have test drive in M135i xdrive ,only regular series 1 is available. My question is how much stiffer is the suspenssion. Roads still not so good in here and i wonder if maybe it will be not enough comfort for me. I propably will take adaptive suspenssion as well. Its very dificult to decide -in here the price of the M135i xdrive is the same as audi a5 quatro stronic 211ph.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #86
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
24
Rep
1,071
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M135i MT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Bump...
Any people that have got their M135i by now, and want to share their sdrive vs xdrive opinion?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 03:58 AM   #87
omgguysomg
Enlisted Member
Belgium
3
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: BMW F20 M135i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

I'm still waiting eagerly for mine. It is in production right now, but the dealer told me I wouldn't get it until the week of 22-26 April.

I'll reply as soon as I get it.

Last edited by omgguysomg; 03-28-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #88
omgguysomg
Enlisted Member
Belgium
3
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: BMW F20 M135i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

By the way, does it always take this long to get the car to Belgium? A full month from production?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST