BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Haters Gonna Celebrate! BMW F20 1 Series Spied with Early Headlight + Front Facelift
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #67
BGM
Colonel
 
Drives: F21 118d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Farnborough, UK

Posts: 2,364
iTrader: (0)

i need confirmation on this facelift ASAP

i have a bloody F21 on order argh!
BGM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #68
KoenG
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E39 530i & F10 520d
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe

Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

I'd like to know also.

I talked my best friend into signing for the M135i two weeks ago and it will impact my relationship with him when the facelift is announced before he takes delivery! During several occasions he insisted on me confirming the engine wouldn't change nor the facelift is near due.

Any way, nobody seems to know for certain, but the FWD hypothesis seems to make no sense, so it only leaves a facial job as possibility... for now.
KoenG is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #69
washout04
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Man I'm getting excited about this. I'm looking to order a 125i in march next year, so a facelift would be perfect for me.

Does anyone know if there will be any other goodies added. I've had a look though previous revisions to BMWs and it seems they tend to add things like better sound insulation etc but not too much else outside of facelifts.
washout04 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #70
tawia
Second Lieutenant
 
tawia's Avatar
 
Drives: F21 125d
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Ireland

Posts: 237
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I can only think of how much EVERYONE hated the E60 when it went on sale.

Ended up being one of BMW's biggest sellers.

BM have a history of car designs ahead of their time. 2 years from now the F20/21 will be thee most sought after hatchback...
tawia is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 02:05 AM   #71
rickk
Private First Class
 
rickk's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 325i, E46 320d, F21 125i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

+1 tawia !

And in contrast to some posters here I think the car is already selling fine, in the Netherlands I see more F20s on the road each day, and most "normal" people over here are positive about the car's looks.
__________________
2013 F21 125i Estoril Blue M Sport
2002 E46 320d Steel Gray M Sport
1986 E30 325i Royal Metallic Blue
rickk is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #72
John_01
Lieutenant Colonel
 
John_01's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 1,960
iTrader: (0)

Firstly, I hate the F20 front-end styling. I think part of the problem is it tends to styled for people who are 1) Young drivers, 2) New to the BMW brand. From what I've seen I don't think it appeals to many people who are already BMW owners. In the current economic environment sales are weak, and there is also a trend of older buyers looking at smaller models. For the established markets, retaining existing customers becomes more important than ever and the styling of this model probably hasn't helped in that area.
John_01 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #73
washout04
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

I think the styling of the car on a whole is great and is lower slung and less bubble like than the horribly bland golf and A3. With regular round BMW headlights positioned a little better, this would be the best looking small hatch around.

Please please please let the update come early next year.
washout04 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #74
rickk
Private First Class
 
rickk's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 325i, E46 320d, F21 125i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
From what I've seen I don't think it appeals to many people who are already BMW owners.
Exactly, the purpose of the 1 series always was to attract new buyers to the brand, which should then move on to the 3 series and up.

I can fully understand people who think it's ugly (I was one of them too), but I don't think it's the huge business mistake people want it to be.
__________________
2013 F21 125i Estoril Blue M Sport
2002 E46 320d Steel Gray M Sport
1986 E30 325i Royal Metallic Blue
rickk is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 02:47 AM   #75
BGM
Colonel
 
Drives: F21 118d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Farnborough, UK

Posts: 2,364
iTrader: (0)

i'm already a bm owner (e92), and i've just bought an F21 for the economy

god i hope this 'facelift' is a 2-series mule
BGM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #76
ovekvam
Colonel
 
Drives: F20 116i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

Posts: 2,020
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickk View Post
Exactly, the purpose of the 1 series always was to attract new buyers to the brand, which should then move on to the 3 series and up.
My experience is that many people start with a bigger BMW (often a Touring) to have enough place for child seats and strollers. As the kids move out, they get a smaller BMW.

I went from 3-series to 1-series because BMW keeps making the cars bigger, so the 3-series grew too big for us. I wouldn't mind having a smaller (lighter!) car than the 1-series.
ovekvam is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 03:34 AM   #77
Antares
The Garden of Evil
 
Antares's Avatar
 
Drives: dark-blue coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Europe Italy-Slovenia

Posts: 281
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
I'd like to know also.

I talked my best friend into signing for the M135i two weeks ago and it will impact my relationship with him when the facelift is announced before he takes delivery! During several occasions he insisted on me confirming the engine wouldn't change nor the facelift is near due.

Any way, nobody seems to know for certain, but the FWD hypothesis seems to make no sense, so it only leaves a facial job as possibility... for now.
The only solution to avoid the impact (crater like) is to wait for the 2er Coupe
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782150
Antares is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #78
washout04
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
The only solution to avoid the impact (crater like) is to wait for the 2er Coupe
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782150
Haha true.

Just wish they gave you more of a heads up with updates. I remember when we ordered our Feb 2010 build mini cooper s, we found out only later that the March builds were getting a bunch of small updates and additions. Annoying.

For us we need a new car in the middle of this year and I'm torn between getting the 125i now or waiting for the Volvo V40, Audi A3, A class and New Golf to arrive for a test drive to compare.
washout04 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #79
Antares
The Garden of Evil
 
Antares's Avatar
 
Drives: dark-blue coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Europe Italy-Slovenia

Posts: 281
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by washout04 View Post
Haha true.

Just wish they gave you more of a heads up with updates. I remember when we ordered our Feb 2010 build mini cooper s, we found out only later that the March builds were getting a bunch of small updates and additions. Annoying.

For us we need a new car in the middle of this year and I'm torn between getting the 125i now or waiting for the Volvo V40, Audi A3, A class and New Golf to arrive for a test drive to compare.
I know; such things make one really angry


As for cars you've listed here, I can give you some first hand experience.

Mercedes A class
very cute car, real sugar.
I've driven it; with a diesel engine and the Automatic.
verdict? NO buy.
Why?
The chassis (undercarriage) is worth nothing; a VW Polo or a small Renault is better to drive. All the road imperfections are felt inside; uncomfortable. The wheels practically "read" the road to you. Mind, this was not the sport suspension.
The cabin insulation is strange; you get the feeling there is an opening somewhere where the drivers legs are, so that the road (wheels) noise can freely enter.
At the same point, the diesel engine is so noise insulated, you have no feeling of it. Coupled with a badly spaced tachometer, that is also somewhat not user friendly to read, you must use the speed limiter, if you want to avoid a speeding ticket in the city.
The Automatic should be remade.
Back seats are walled (small windows) and the rear window is a joke.

Volvo V40
Just leave it. Old Ford technology that gets recycled on an infinite basis. Where should they take hundreds of millions necessary for development?

VW Golf
The car is far nicer live than on photographs.
The interior is really new and great; I like it far above the Mercedes A and BMW 1.
Big glass surfaces all around make the car really pleasant; it feels bigger and not cramped.
It drives, or should I say glides along, in a calm manner. It's very quiet.
Perfect family car; you don't need more in a car (unless you would like to impress the neighbours with a 5 series from BMW) and would not want to have less.
Antares is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 04:16 AM   #80
vladberca
Brigadier General
 
vladberca's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 jetta tsi 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Craiova

Posts: 3,498
iTrader: (0)

VW Golf VII is a good car, but it's quite boring
A3 S Line is a better alternative, but not better than an M Sport 1 series
A Class is a bad joke
For sure, 2 series will have an interesting design, but the price will be higher too
vladberca is offline   Romania
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #81
AusF20
Captain
 
AusF20's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 125i M sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brisbane

Posts: 755
iTrader: (0)

Look at the bright side
The change is front only, the mods are cosmetic.
In theory, you could remove the whole front and its sub assembly behind and replace it with the new front.
It would be costly, but probably a lot less expensive than a trade up.

For what its worth, I like the look of the M Sport front and have not had one person give a negative comment on the head lights. Could also be that the F20 looks great in Estoril Blue.
AusF20 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #82
BGM
Colonel
 
Drives: F21 118d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Farnborough, UK

Posts: 2,364
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Look at the bright side
The change is front only, the mods are cosmetic.
In theory, you could remove the whole front and its sub assembly behind and replace it with the new front.
It would be costly, but probably a lot less expensive than a trade up.

For what its worth, I like the look of the M Sport front and have not had one person give a negative comment on the head lights. Could also be that the F20 looks great in Estoril Blue.
4 more weeks, 4 more weeks :O
BGM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #83
HasanK
Private First Class
 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Saudi Arabia

Posts: 127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Look at the bright side
The change is front only, the mods are cosmetic.
In theory, you could remove the whole front and its sub assembly behind and replace it with the new front.
It would be costly, but probably a lot less expensive than a trade up.

For what its worth, I like the look of the M Sport front and have not had one person give a negative comment on the head lights. Could also be that the F20 looks great in Estoril Blue.
It does look better in M-sport trim and in Estoril blue to be specific. I still don't like the regular front bumper/headlight combo, but the M-sport bumper makes it all a bit better.

Something that I really haven't seen people comment much about, and it's something that I absolutely love is the bonnet! It's long and the curves it has are quite nice. just my opinion on the issue
__________________
Superman Spec M135i
HasanK is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #84
logiclee
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW 116i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Notts, UK

Posts: 187
iTrader: (0)

On another forum a respected BMW tech said this car had a development engine fitted that may go into the two series. So it's basically a 1 series with a 2 Series nose to prove the cooling etc.

No way will BMW facelift the f21 in it's first year of production. The only problem they have with the f20/21 is a full order book and people complaining of long delivery times. Only manufacturers with a model not selling would face lift a model two to three years earlier than planned, BMW have the opposite problem.
In fact to slow down the orders BMW have finished the finance offers on the 1 series. It now has the most expensive finance in it's sector in the UK.

Cheers
Lee
logiclee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #85
washout04
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
I know; such things make one really angry


As for cars you've listed here, I can give you some first hand experience.

Mercedes A class
very cute car, real sugar.
I've driven it; with a diesel engine and the Automatic.
verdict? NO buy.
Why?
The chassis (undercarriage) is worth nothing; a VW Polo or a small Renault is better to drive. All the road imperfections are felt inside; uncomfortable. The wheels practically "read" the road to you. Mind, this was not the sport suspension.
The cabin insulation is strange; you get the feeling there is an opening somewhere where the drivers legs are, so that the road (wheels) noise can freely enter.
At the same point, the diesel engine is so noise insulated, you have no feeling of it. Coupled with a badly spaced tachometer, that is also somewhat not user friendly to read, you must use the speed limiter, if you want to avoid a speeding ticket in the city.
The Automatic should be remade.
Back seats are walled (small windows) and the rear window is a joke.

Volvo V40
Just leave it. Old Ford technology that gets recycled on an infinite basis. Where should they take hundreds of millions necessary for development?

VW Golf
The car is far nicer live than on photographs.
The interior is really new and great; I like it far above the Mercedes A and BMW 1.
Big glass surfaces all around make the car really pleasant; it feels bigger and not cramped.
It drives, or should I say glides along, in a calm manner. It's very quiet.
Perfect family car; you don't need more in a car (unless you would like to impress the neighbours with a 5 series from BMW) and would not want to have less.
Great feedback, particularily on the A class and V40 which were both tempting me.

So basically it comes down to the 1 series vs golf/A3. I think that while my head says golf, my heart says 1 series. The long bonnet, lower/sportier driving position will win the day I think. I also hate the idea of owning the most popular hatch around. So boring.

I think I will wait till march to make sure there isn't a front end change and then order the 125i with m-sport pack, adaptive suspension and maybe the auto, although it's a very expensive option at $3,000 in Aus.
washout04 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #86
washout04
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Look at the bright side
The change is front only, the mods are cosmetic.
In theory, you could remove the whole front and its sub assembly behind and replace it with the new front.
It would be costly, but probably a lot less expensive than a trade up.

For what its worth, I like the look of the M Sport front and have not had one person give a negative comment on the head lights. Could also be that the F20 looks great in Estoril Blue.
I agree. And from what i've seen the facelifts for BMW are never hugely different.

Noticed you are in Aus mate. Do you get the same "you should have bought a golf GTI" comments as well. A good car, but people is Aus are VW obsessed.
washout04 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #87
Antares
The Garden of Evil
 
Antares's Avatar
 
Drives: dark-blue coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Europe Italy-Slovenia

Posts: 281
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by washout04 View Post
Great feedback, particularily on the A class and V40 which were both tempting me.

So basically it comes down to the 1 series vs golf/A3. I think that while my head says golf, my heart says 1 series.

I think I will wait till march to make sure there isn't a front end change and then order the 125i with m-sport pack, adaptive suspension and maybe the auto, although it's a very expensive option at $3,000 in Aus.
I would not buy the A3. No added value for the premium price tag.

It's more Golf/BMW 1.
You can decide price wise.
Golf costs less, BMW is technologically superior.
If you take the BMW order the Automatic, it's a piece of Art!! (it's expensive also here in Europe).
Antares is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #88
AusF20
Captain
 
AusF20's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 125i M sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brisbane

Posts: 755
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasanK View Post

Something that I really haven't seen people comment much about, and it's something that I absolutely love is the bonnet! It's long and the curves it has are quite nice. just my opinion on the issue
Agree
AusF20 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST