BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW 1 / 2 Series Sedan Rumormill Churns

07-18-2012, 02:54 AM   #89
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General

Drives: 1988 M3 gone .. 1M HERE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCali E90
They would be fools not to introduce this to the market. I have no doubt this car will sell and I have a feeling it will be their new flagship car.
I agree 100 percent. Although it might not outsell the X1.
      07-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #90
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari
Actually, it's called the 1M and it's sitting in my garage, aaaand it's not for sale

Me too!!!! :-!)). And mine either!
      07-18-2012, 03:16 AM   #91
1thomas
Lieutenant

Drives: F20 116d

Garage List
2012 BMW 116d  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Me too!!!! :-!)). And mine either!
Although I think you made a good choice when getting the 1M, I would have never ever sold an E30 M3! I think that was your biggest mistake in the recent past, and you will probably regret it eventually .

F20 116d, 8-speed, M Sport and a (reasonable) list of toys.
1thomas is offline   Germany
      07-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #92
M_Power_Fan
Private First Class

Drives: the Ring

in 10 years we will have like 100 models to chose from !?
M_Power_Fan is offline   Germany
      07-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #93
jkoral
Captain

Drives: '09 135i MSport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06
Chance that BMW will give us an M2 with a 6MT and an S54?
Actually, it's called the 1M and it's sitting in my garage, aaaand it's not for sale

You have a 1M with an S54 engine?
jkoral is offline   United_States
      07-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #94
jkoral
Captain

Drives: '09 135i MSport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie45 View Post
Well good luck having 4 adults in the f2x car. I think the back seats of my e90 are as small as I would go especially from a comfortability persepctive. I'm 5'11' and sitting in the back sucks.
How often do people have 4 adults in the backseat? Maybe the occasional 5 minute drive to a work lunch? I can't remember the last time I had an adult in the backseat of any of my BMWs.

Only my kids sit in the backseats and the E36/E46 was plenty big enough for them.

However if you often have 4 adults in your car, obviously a f2x sedan would not be a good candidate. No disagreement there.
jkoral is offline   United_States
      07-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #95
spellbmw
Feuertrunken

Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

Meh... I bought my 135i because it was/is smaller than the 3 series....and a lot moe fun to drive. The idea of yet another four door sedan leaves me non-plussed. Nice, if you like 4-door sedans. Not for me
      07-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #96
mkoesel

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdomPHD View Post
Have no doubt that the end result will be a "1 series" sedan, regardless of opinion and speculation.
I would venture to guess with a high level of confidence that there will never be a RWD 1 Series sedan. If we do get a 1 Series sedan this generation, it will most likely follow on after the other, already-planned FWD UKL-based range of 1 Series vehicles shows up and share their platform. Failing that, it will wait until next generation when all 1 Series-badged products will be FWD. This, I suggest, will be done in order to protect 3 Series sedan sales.

In the meantime, a 2 GC is still a distinct possibility. If not now then next generation. Don't plan on a bargain basement price though. I would expect it to come in just a bit below a 3 Series with the same engine.
      07-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #97
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: BMW E92/E60

I am liking the idea of 2 series gran coupe. I hope BMW makes it look sporty and aggressive all the while keeping it aimed at enthusiasts. No, electric steering please untill it has been perfected in feel and feed back.
Cobb tune, RennArt catback non resonated exhaust, M-sport steering (racing alcantara & retrofit M3 paddle shifters.), Alpina B3 transmission flash, AFE powered sealed CAI, LED angels, E93 M3 Front Swaybar, 235/35/19x9 front & 275/30/19x9.5 rear. When in doubt...flat out
Kayani_1 is offline   United_States
      07-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #98
spellbmw
Feuertrunken

Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioalex24
I'm willing to get the m2 if it's small like the 1M.
+1
      07-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #99
tony20009
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie45 View Post
What's the purpose for creating such a model? How much of the market sector will be interested in this?
I would think quite a lot of folks would be interested in one.
  • Folks that want a sedan costing less than an F30
  • Folks that want a compact sedan rather than a midsize one as a daily driver
  • Folks that want a car offering better fuel economy and performance potential than a 3er (seeing as it'll be smaller and will hopefully (?) use the same engines)
  • Parents who want to buy their kids a sedan and who don't want to buy an F30 or larger BMW for them
  • People who live in cities -- I can see this car being very popular in my area.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
      07-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #100
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thomas View Post
Although I think you made a good choice when getting the 1M, I would have never ever sold an E30 M3! I think that was your biggest mistake in the recent past, and you will probably regret it eventually .

We shall see in time. I owned an E30 M3 for 17 years.. Perhaps one day I can import a Sport Evo..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-18-2012 at 05:53 PM.
      07-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #101
SCOTT26
Brigadier General

Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre

The big question you have to ask is what 1er will come.

BMW have big plans for its FWD family as with MINI they are projected to average combined 800,000 units by 2020 as BMW taps into demand for smaller cars.
Already we know about the CST , F.A.S.T. and the 3dr and 5dr City Compact.
But waiting in the wings if these cars prove popular with customers is a four dr and 5dr Touring , a cabrio is possible too.
With MINI investigating a four door option the combined two could offer the greater advantage.

With a Gran Coupe you have to take size into consideration , 6er Gran Coupe can accomodate the size as can the 4er Gran Coupe , but with the two the lower you get, taking into consideration proportions, headroom especially in the rear is why the BMW X4 and the BMW X6 will be the only Sport Activity Coupe models with the X2 taking more of a lower SAV outline. Simply because the concept cannot be completely downsized.
I seen the Mercedes CLA prototype in Munich the other day and having seen the car in Beijing the production car is actually taller than the concept for this very reason.

One design I have seen for the 1er/2er family is in the guise of a fastback-Coupe like model - A concept like this might prove the best option.
      07-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #102
aajami
Brigadier General

Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

BMW have big plans for its FWD family as with MINI they are projected to average combined 800,000 units by 2020 as BMW taps into demand for smaller cars.
But waiting in the wings if these cars prove popular with customers is a four dr and 5dr Touring , a cabrio is possible too.
With MINI investigating a four door option the combined two could offer the greater advantage.

With a Gran Coupe you have to take size into consideration , 6er Gran Coupe can accomodate the size as can the 4er Gran Coupe , but with the two the lower you get, taking into consideration proportions, headroom especially in the rear is why the BMW X4 and the BMW X6 will be the only Sport Activity Coupe models with the X2 taking more of a lower SAV outline. Simply because the concept cannot be completely downsized.
I seen the Mercedes CLA prototype in Munich the other day and having seen the car in Beijing the production car is actually taller than the concept for this very reason.

One design I have seen for the 1er/2er family is in the guise of a fastback-Coupe like model - A concept like this might prove the best option.
Is that not BMW's definition of a Gran Coupe, Scott? A 4-door car based on the proportions of a coupe (lower roofline, sloping rear end, no 5-seat configuration). Sounds like a Gran Coupe

Just build the damn car to the E46's proportions already You did it 10 years ago, so do it again. The market clearly wants a small RWD sedan.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
aajami is offline   United_States
      07-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #103
Imola.ZHP
No car payments...

Drives: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP

Send a message via AIM to Imola.ZHP Send a message via MSN to Imola.ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to Imola.ZHP
e46 sized please!

e90/f30 are too damn big!

Marcus
-- 330i ZHP
-- Build Date 03/03/03
Imola.ZHP is offline   United_States
      07-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #104
onehungevo
Captain

Drives:

I don't like the headlights on the new 1/2 series.
      07-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #105
RPM90
Major General

Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbmw View Post
Meh... I bought my 135i because it was/is smaller than the 3 series....and a lot moe fun to drive. The idea of yet another four door sedan leaves me non-plussed. Nice, if you like 4-door sedans. Not for me
That's what I did in 09.
My E46 325i was over and I wanted something new. I drove the E90 but something about the 135i kept me coming back.

The E90's sport suspension was/is better, but the size and power of the 135i pulled me in.

Now, my 135i goes back and I wanted something new. I was hoping BMW would announce word on the new 1/2 for the US/NA market, but nothing.
I didn't want to get another 1 series, I already just had one.

I have a 2013 335i Msport on order. Great machine. Not as light as my 135i, but it handles it's weight nicely.

3 years with the 335i Msport, and then I hope BMW will have a 1/2 series Msport. That would be very cool.
I'll be looking at the new A3 sedan and Caddy's ATS.
      07-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #106
bimmerjph
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2002 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

I have two questions.
1) As far as you know there will always be a small RWD Sedan, coupe, or convertible on sale. Correct? I ask because I can't help but fear that the 3 series will eventually be the smallest RWD car BMW sells.

2) Is the line-up going to continue to get bigger (in terms of the length of the vehicles)? If so whats going to happen if the RWD 1/2 series becomes too big for its original segment? I don't see BMW making a 0-Series, 0.5-Series, or -1 Series.

Last edited by bimmerjph; 07-19-2012 at 06:02 PM.
bimmerjph is offline   United_States