BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Has Anyone had Problems with the F20?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #23
human88
New Member
 
Drives: F20 118i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by human88 View Post
Just to let everybody knows my new F20 118i's engine went dead suddenly and couldn't get it back up when I was on my way to work this morning.

The car is now towed to BMW service centre and am now waiting for BMW to get back to me on where the problem lies.

I just took delivery of the car about 2 weeks ago and have not done anything funny with it.

Hope the problem is nothing major but really didn't expect a new car to break down in just 2 weeks.
I got the car back and BMW said how the fuel tank is divided into 2 sections, and the fuel pump has problem sucking fuel from the other section, therefore my car ran out of fuel and the engine died despite the fuel gauge still showed my car has more than 1/4 tank full.

At the end BMW replaced the whole fuel pump for me and I got my car back the day after it was towed back to BMW.
human88 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #24
Xoulas804
Private
 
Drives: E46 F20
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Macau

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by human88
Quote:
Originally Posted by human88 View Post
Just to let everybody knows my new F20 118i's engine went dead suddenly and couldn't get it back up when I was on my way to work this morning.

The car is now towed to BMW service centre and am now waiting for BMW to get back to me on where the problem lies.

I just took delivery of the car about 2 weeks ago and have not done anything funny with it.

Hope the problem is nothing major but really didn't expect a new car to break down in just 2 weeks.
I got the car back and BMW said how the fuel tank is divided into 2 sections, and the fuel pump has problem sucking fuel from the other section, therefore my car ran out of fuel and the engine died despite the fuel gauge still showed my car has more than 1/4 tank full.

At the end BMW replaced the whole fuel pump for me and I got my car back the day after it was towed back to BMW.
Good that they fix it quick.
Xoulas804 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #25
Bmwfourlife
Enlisted Member
 
Bmwfourlife's Avatar
 
Drives: Bmw F20 1 series 116D Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: England

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

Hello,*

Took delivery of my 116D sport at the end of Nov 11 and after two weeks the parking sensors stopped functioning.

Instead I was met with an awful alarming noise with the I drive display showing all areas shaded in relation to vehicle distance.*

Took it to BMW and they fixed it the same day with the reason for malfunction as "faulty transmitter".

This has been replaced by BMW under the warranty.*

Sensors work perfectly now.

Other than this, really like the car.

The only other thing I have noticed is that when listening to music through the usb stick sometimes the system gets stuck and does not let me change the track via the Idrive.*

I have to change modes and go back in and then I am able to change again. This is after the usb has been read and ready to use.*

Actually also I have been advised that the sound quality via the bluetooth hands free is distorted, not sure if this is to do with my i phone 4s that I am using!! :-/

Thanks*
Bmwfourlife is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #26
wolz
Second Lieutenant
 
wolz's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw F20 120d
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sweden

Posts: 216
iTrader: (0)

bmwfourlife, I have iphone 4s aswell, only had the car for less than 24 hours but have made 2 calls via bluetooth handsfree, both times I asked about sound-quality and both recipients said it was great. One call was made on highway even.

haven't noticed any real problems so far, no rattle, feels solid.

only "issues" so far is headlights got some fog in them, might go away, we'll see. Also the bmw-live feature is not working. I seem to be the only person in the world who ticked that option so don't know if more ppl got problem with that? I'm confident bmw will help out fixing that..

also noticed one minor "bug" in the idrive, when I go to the settings for the lightning at the floor where you can choose to have red or white color... I'm pretty sure that "classic" is supposed to be white color while "sport" = red lightning. It's the other way round on mine atleast, not that it matters =)
wolz is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #27
Minnsy
New Member
 
Drives: BMW F20 116d SE
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kent

Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by me11ada View Post
I ordered mine a week ago and got a delivery date of 20th Feb 12, but the sales assistant was sure it would be here about a week before.... I'm hoping so can't wait :-)
I ordered mine 3rd week October and picked it up 17th December, which was over a week earlier than the dealer suggested!! They always seem to exaggerate to cover themselves should anything happen. I received a phonecall on 15th December to say my car had arrived, when did i want it etc.. Less than 8 weeks wait for a brand new car was very good i thought considering every other manufacturer I went to see quoted 12-16 weeks on even the most basic cars and specs!!!
Minnsy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #28
railbob
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Next Stop F30 320i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Scotland

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolz View Post
bmwfourlife, I have iphone 4s aswell, only had the car for less than 24 hours but have made 2 calls via bluetooth handsfree, both times I asked about sound-quality and both recipients said it was great. One call was made on highway even.

haven't noticed any real problems so far, no rattle, feels solid.

only "issues" so far is headlights got some fog in them, might go away, we'll see. Also the bmw-live feature is not working. I seem to be the only person in the world who ticked that option so don't know if more ppl got problem with that? I'm confident bmw will help out fixing that..

also noticed one minor "bug" in the idrive, when I go to the settings for the lightning at the floor where you can choose to have red or white color... I'm pretty sure that "classic" is supposed to be white color while "sport" = red lightning. It's the other way round on mine atleast, not that it matters =)
Wolz,
The headlights are partially ventilated which means when they are powerwashed moisture gets into them, they will clear up after a few days . The interior lights are "Classic" orange and "Sport" white. How much fun is the new baby ?
railbob is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #29
wolz
Second Lieutenant
 
wolz's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw F20 120d
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sweden

Posts: 216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by railbob View Post
Wolz,
The headlights are partially ventilated which means when they are powerwashed moisture gets into them, they will clear up after a few days . The interior lights are "Classic" orange and "Sport" white. How much fun is the new baby ?
too bad about the fog, guess it will be there every now and then as my powerwashers do alot of washing! doesnt look very premium with fog in the headlights!
the car is real fun for sure. Altough it's been diffucult to feel the performance since the weather got extremely nasty yesterday. Was raining like mad all day, then in the afternoon/evening the temperature dropped to a few degrees below zero resulting in roads literally covered in ice. Just touching the accelerator resultet in wheelspin whatever gear/speed! But found short bits of dry tarmac in the city where the streets are busy and dry up. Immediately hit sport+ and full throttle of course =) the performance is really satisfactory with great power throughout the revs, which is not found on most diesels!
wolz is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #30
Bmwfourlife
Enlisted Member
 
Bmwfourlife's Avatar
 
Drives: Bmw F20 1 series 116D Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: England

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

Wolz - thanks for your response, I have since had a fiddle with the mic volume within a call and it seems to be alot better.*

Not had any wheel skids in the rain as of but it feels like its on skates in the snow, think I would have to get used to which the best gears are to use as i previously owned a fwd car.*

Yeah the classic light is orange - been orange with bmw for a long time and the sport is white.

Also just a point, I thought the Bmw life option was only in conjunction with one of the proffessional media packs/sat nav???
Bmwfourlife is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #31
Bmwfourlife
Enlisted Member
 
Bmwfourlife's Avatar
 
Drives: Bmw F20 1 series 116D Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: England

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

Live**
Bmwfourlife is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #32
wolz
Second Lieutenant
 
wolz's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw F20 120d
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sweden

Posts: 216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwfourlife View Post
Wolz - thanks for your response, I have since had a fiddle with the mic volume within a call and it seems to be alot better.*

Not had any wheel skids in the rain as of but it feels like its on skates in the snow, think I would have to get used to which the best gears are to use as i previously owned a fwd car.*

Yeah the classic light is orange - been orange with bmw for a long time and the sport is white.

Also just a point, I thought the Bmw life option was only in conjunction with one of the proffessional media packs/sat nav???
good to hear the bluetooth-handsfree working better. I like how they placed the mic sort of above you, great positioning.

I got it wrong with the interior lightning color, the idrive is correct after all, sport = white

The bmw live option: my understanding was that it could be ordered on its own, not in conjunction with anything really. But I do get a bit worried now =) After all I found all the info regarding the "high-tech-options" was very vague (iphone integration, bmw live, bmw apps, connected drive and stuff like that). But I shouldn't have been able to choose the bmw-live option alone if it requires some other option to work?!

I'll investigate further... the option is there in the menu but once I click it, it starts "connecting to bmw live/transferring data" something like that... then it stays at that for a minute or two and then returns an error msg stating something like "bmw live is not compatible with the phone-network"

for those who have not heard of bmw live: The idea of bmw live is that it utilize your mobile phone to go out on the internet to fetch data like weather-forecast, rss feeds (news) and stuff and display it on the dashboard monitor... figured there is potential in that. Plenty of room for bmw to expand that into all kinds of nice features down the road! was only like a 100euro extra for that option.

But since I've obsiously missunderstood other things, I might have gotten this wrong aswell hehe. Would be kinda funny if I'm stuck with an option that requires another add-on that I miss owned by bmw-live. Nah I'm optimistic

to be continued!
wolz is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #33
Bmwfourlife
Enlisted Member
 
Bmwfourlife's Avatar
 
Drives: Bmw F20 1 series 116D Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: England

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

Wolz - it is a difficult task figuring out the options for anyone, dont worry even the sales people dont seem to get their head round it in the uk!!

Are you connecting the phone with the y cable? May connect to the phone?

Ok hang on I have just read through my pack and ....

BMW LIVE (6AL) is ordered ONLY with (6NH) AND (6NK -read below after descripton of 6NH)

(6NH) (£200) bluetooth hands free facility with usb audio interface which can ONLY be ordered with...

(663) Bmw professional radio with single cd player (with mp3 playback capability) (standard on sport)

AND (6NK) (£280) Bluetooth telephone preperation with usb audio interface and voice control ONLY with 663 (as explained above) AND (4AE) Armrest front sliding (standard on sport)

Hope this makes sense, well this is what I can see from my pack, but the new F20 has the capability to do alot and I think bmw are holding back so that they can launch things later to have us purchase more additional previliges!!!!

Thanks
Bmwfourlife is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #34
Bmwfourlife
Enlisted Member
 
Bmwfourlife's Avatar
 
Drives: Bmw F20 1 series 116D Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: England

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

Ps prices may now vary
Bmwfourlife is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #35
wolz
Second Lieutenant
 
wolz's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw F20 120d
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sweden

Posts: 216
iTrader: (0)

yay! I had the combo needed, it's up and running now =) Problem was the phone. Had to go to settings and allow the phone to share the mobile-data connection. Working fine now!

thanks anyway bmwfourlife for sorting out the options. I'm not using Y-cable btw, just bluetooth.
wolz is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #36
Bmwfourlife
Enlisted Member
 
Bmwfourlife's Avatar
 
Drives: Bmw F20 1 series 116D Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: England

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolz
yay! I had the combo needed, it's up and running now =) Problem was the phone. Had to go to settings and allow the phone to share the mobile-data connection. Working fine now!

thanks anyway bmwfourlife for sorting out the options. I'm not using Y-cable btw, just bluetooth.
Wolz - no probs, glad to hear that you have the BMW LIVE option up and running. I am sure you will enjoy using this.
Bmwfourlife is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #37
alexmcred
Private
 
alexmcred's Avatar
 
Drives: 318d GT M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ireland

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Has anyone had a lot of wear on their rear pads. Only have 1000km's covered and the car is telling me the pads need to be replaced in 38,000 km's but the front pads are showing 49,000km's to replacement.

Thinks something is not right as haven't driven the car that hard
alexmcred is offline   Ireland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #38
Fanis
Lieutenant
 
Fanis's Avatar
 
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Athens, Greece

Posts: 483
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Mine, after 3.200 kms, still shows 50.000 kms for changing brake pads (front and rear)...only the oil change has decreased, from the initial 30.000kms to 21.000kms.
__________________
2011- : BMW 116i (F20)
2009-11: BMW Z4 2.5si (E85)
2007-09: Mini Cooper S (R56)
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Fanis is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #39
alexmcred
Private
 
alexmcred's Avatar
 
Drives: 318d GT M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ireland

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Thanks Fanis spoke to the dealer this morning and they told me not to worry as the pads are also condition based service items so depending on how you drive they can increase or decrease the mileage to change
alexmcred is offline   Ireland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #40
tomgoorts
New Member
 
Drives: F20 116i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Netherlands

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwfourlife View Post
Hello,*

Took delivery of my 116D sport at the end of Nov 11 and after two weeks the parking sensors stopped functioning.

Instead I was met with an awful alarming noise with the I drive display showing all areas shaded in relation to vehicle distance.*

Took it to BMW and they fixed it the same day with the reason for malfunction as "faulty transmitter".

This has been replaced by BMW under the warranty.*

Sensors work perfectly now.

Other than this, really like the car.

The only other thing I have noticed is that when listening to music through the usb stick sometimes the system gets stuck and does not let me change the track via the Idrive.*

I have to change modes and go back in and then I am able to change again. This is after the usb has been read and ready to use.*

Actually also I have been advised that the sound quality via the bluetooth hands free is distorted, not sure if this is to do with my i phone 4s that I am using!! :-/

Thanks*
I had the same problem with the usb.
The solution was update to the last software, and replace the head unit for a new one...
The problem was in the 'go to sleep' mode of the car.

Further i've got 1 other problem, and that's the reaction speed of the rain sensor, it's terrible slow!
tomgoorts is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #41
Bmwfourlife
Enlisted Member
 
Bmwfourlife's Avatar
 
Drives: Bmw F20 1 series 116D Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: England

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgoorts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwfourlife View Post
Hello,*

Took delivery of my 116D sport at the end of Nov 11 and after two weeks the parking sensors stopped functioning.

Instead I was met with an awful alarming noise with the I drive display showing all areas shaded in relation to vehicle distance.*

Took it to BMW and they fixed it the same day with the reason for malfunction as "faulty transmitter".

This has been replaced by BMW under the warranty.*

Sensors work perfectly now.

Other than this, really like the car.

The only other thing I have noticed is that when listening to music through the usb stick sometimes the system gets stuck and does not let me change the track via the Idrive.*

I have to change modes and go back in and then I am able to change again. This is after the usb has been read and ready to use.*

Actually also I have been advised that the sound quality via the bluetooth hands free is distorted, not sure if this is to do with my i phone 4s that I am using!! :-/

Thanks*
I had the same problem with the usb.
The solution was update to the last software, and replace the head unit for a new one...
The problem was in the 'go to sleep' mode of the car.

Further i've got 1 other problem, and that's the reaction speed of the rain sensor, it's terrible slow!
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback as this sounds like it makes sense as its mainly a problem when ive start the vehicle and start using it.

However, how do I go about upgrading the software and changing the unit? Is this something that bmw will take ownership of?

Thanks
Bmwfourlife is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #42
tomgoorts
New Member
 
Drives: F20 116i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Netherlands

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwfourlife View Post
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback as this sounds like it makes sense as its mainly a problem when ive start the vehicle and start using it.

However, how do I go about upgrading the software and changing the unit? Is this something that bmw will take ownership of?

Thanks
The upgrading and the changing is done by the bmw dealership.
This problem was reported to bmw germany, who gave the advise to replace the headunit.
__________________


BMW 116i - Midnight Blue - Styling 381 17" alloy wheels - Since September 23th 2011
tomgoorts is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #43
alexmcred
Private
 
alexmcred's Avatar
 
Drives: 318d GT M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ireland

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Is anyone getting a noise from their brake peddle? Some times I'm getting a noise like a "bong" if I let the peddle up quickly?
alexmcred is offline   Ireland
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #44
JR
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2014 F21 120d sport auto
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Leyland,Lancs

Posts: 105
iTrader: (0)

I've had this noise in the past, turned out to be the return spring ,try spraying some lube on it , but it's really hard trying to spray under the pedal !
JR is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST