BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 2.0d chances of survival

06-06-2024, 03:27 PM   #1
Rhys_M
PiMost Guy
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XF, Freelander 2

2.0d chances of survival

Hi All,

First post, not a BMW guy, but trying to help out a young lad from work. He recently bought a 2013 F20 2.0d, first time buying a second hand car and got a bit shafted! (private sale)

He drove it on a test drive, no issues whatsoever, purchased it, drove ~10 miles home and it began puffing out white smoke. He did the oil level check, and it said add 1l, he did, left it a while then retested and still said add 1, then done another litre. At this point he messaged me, I told him to hold off driving or doing any more, we will do an oil and filter change and start from scratch. Not once in this time did the low oil pressure warning appear.

I head round, we drain it and get 3.5l out. This must mean it either had .5l in it when he bought it, or that it was burning oil like no ones buisness. Removed the oil filter and to my disbelief it came out like this

To top things off, inside the filter housing were the remenants of not this filter, but must have been the one prior (the round plastic ring on the top, the one that came out was mangled but intact) managed to free this, went to fit in the new one and it would not locate. cleaned the engine side of the housing out and found the other end of the old-old filter stuck in there too! Eventually got this out, located the filter properly and topped up.

Started the car up and all seemed good, sounded decent, no smoke, smooth idle. Took the car out and shortly the smoke returned. Stripped down a few bits to investigate, PCV valve was all good, however on tick over there's a decent amount of air coming out of the PCV, when revving this air stops completely which I guess is maybe promising on the piston rings front.

We did find that the air intake was coated in oil and when we stripped down to the turbo, found that was seeping oil when running too. Poor guys in a bit of a hard place, no response from the seller, and as it's private no recourse there. However whats the possibility of replacing the turbo and the rest being ok? I would say minimal however I would also never have thought the car would have made it 10 miles in the state it was in originally either, besides the smoke it seems to drive decently.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rhys_M; 06-07-2024 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0