View Single Post
      09-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #40
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Unfortunately, this is a sign of the times.

All car manufactures want to keep or gain market share, so they build cars to suit not only the current market, but also have to build for future market trends.

The current trend is for small compact (city) cars or small cross over ones (AWD).

If BMW had stuck to 'The ultimate driving experience' they would have stuck to their original car size of the early 5 series only. The rest would not be here.

Fortunately for us, BMW looked to the future and built some fantastic cars in many sizes and model configurations that we enjoy today.

I heard a 7 series owner who was looking at a new 7er at my dealer say "Why would anyone want something that small" when looking at the 3er and 1er on the showroom floor. Each to his own.

Personally, I would not consider a front wheel drive car, however you have to consider that over the past 20 years the vast number of people have only ever driven FWD cars as they are the only type of cars available in the lower price brackets.

So consider, Audi started it recently with the A1 and now these people are being tempted to spend a little more money and move up to a 'quality' FWD car. BMW is reacting to the market.

Also you have to take into account that some brands like Hyundai have raised the stakes for small and medium cars by trying to copy the upper class car makers like Merc, BMW and Audi in style and material finishes.

Even though Hyundai and other car makers are not there yet, I am sure that the German car makers are all very wary of this, and see these new market segments as nescessary if their want their brand to be recognised by all buyers and achieve sales growth.
Appreciate 0