View Single Post
      09-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #30
tuna_hp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

How can this 3 cylinder use a twin-scroll turbocharger? Don't you need an even number of cylinders for that to work?

I am remembering back to discussions of the F80 and people talking about whether it would be an I6 or V6 engine and what turbo arrangement it would have. Someone would speculate that it could be a "V6 with 2 twin-scroll turbochargers" or that it could be a "parallel twin turbo setup like the N54 but with twin-scroll turbos" and other people would quickly shoot down those ideas because "twin-scroll only works with an even number of cylinders".

Were the people shooting down the idea of having a twin-scroll turbo for each pair of 3 cylinders wrong? Or maybe were they were right but not because it would be working off an odd number of cylinders but because of some other problem with using 2 twin-scroll turbos with 6 cylinders?

I am really curious because the BMW press release definitely said that these new 1.5L I3 engines could come turbocharged, twin-scroll turbocharged, or twin turbocharged.

Last edited by tuna_hp; 09-17-2012 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0