04-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #19
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Well, there are no gauges on F1 cars, or many other professional class racing cars these days. The "engineering" is all in the various computers,sensors and control system (plus telemetry, in the case of race cars). I certainly like the idea of gauges, but I'm not sure they convey clear information that many drivers can readily interpret, and respond to, ie, how hot is too hot and at what point is the oil temp being measured. And what about oil pressure!?. So instead, we get a range of warning lights, plus 'limp modes' etc. Welcome to the 21st century
There are tons of dials and graphs available for the formula one cars, but they are in the depot, on a screen in front of the race engineers. Some of the BMW customers are also engineers, and should have the ability to understand the dials.

Saab used to have an interesting concept, called black panel. When you enabled this, pretty much all instruments (except speedometer) went black. If the dial was about to show interesting values (outside normal range), it would light up and get the attention from the driver.
Appreciate 0