3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Reading comprehension?

I never said anything about status...you brought that up on your own...it appears you missed my point entirely...

You, or BMW in this case, "adapts" by using their wonderful technology and engineering in order to stay ahead of the competition. I don't care if they use turbos or a 3 cylinder diesel in combination with electric motors...the cars should still be inherently BMW...which means sporty and RWD...

Instead of making cookie-cutter cars that look like what everyone else is making, continue to distinguish yourself by having an entire fleet of cars that feels unlike anything else on the road...

For example, I just leased a 2011 135. It is now my 4th straight BMW...I looked at Audi A4s/S4s, the GTI, the STI, the EVO, the MB C CLass, and the Lexus IS 350...there is a reason I got another Bimmer, and it has nothing to do with status, obviously, since a 1er is hardly up there on the cockometer...

That reason, plainly, is the way the car drives and feels. There was nothing else close in this price range, as far as feel goes. That is established by 2 things--the RWD aspect and the sporty nature of the car...I just think if the company goes down this road, with econoboxes and FWD and whatever the hell else, you will begin to lose that separation, that identity...

As it currently sits, I can get in any BMW and have a general idea of how the thing is going to work because of the brand's identity. Every single car...and I have driven nearly everything the brand has to offer down in Spartanburg, SC...Can you say that for Ford? Can you say that for VW? Can you say that for GM? Of course not...because, again, those companies try to be the best at everything, and end up being good at almost nothing...

/rant.

Seems like the majority of this discussion is based on perceptions.

BMW means sporty and RWD - this is a very generic statement and yes, since BMWs have been sporty and RWD in the past, changing that does not mean its no longer a BMW. The 3-series has a xi model... does that mean its no longer a BMW or that it watered down the brand? I dont think so, it supports a market that needs xi models. I dont see how Front wheel drive is any different since its not catering to me, you, mostly no one on this forum... but it caters to people looking for eco car with a lot of space. Just like the Xi models cater to people with certain needs.

"Instead of making cookie-cutter cars that look like what everyone else is making, continue to distinguish yourself by having an entire fleet of cars that feels unlike anything else on the road..." Unfortunately, most car shoppers are not looking for what me, you and most folks on this forum are looking for which is a car that feels like nothing else on the road. Yes, BMW has distinguished itself by doing this BUT again, they need to SELL more vehicles to people they are currently NOT selling vehicles to which are the eco shoppers, etc.

Congrats on your new BMW. Just like many of us enthusiasts, once you get accustomed to BMWs handling and feel, you keep going back for more. However, BMW is NOT targeting you, me, or the majority of people on this forum with these new class of vehicles, they are targeting a market they currently DONT have a presence in or dominate.

Identity. Change always gets peoples panties in a bunch. What I believe BMW is going to do is eventually create a new identity for this class of vehicles, or they can be the one who keeps everything under one name and still make cars that feel great.

The jack of all trades theory... Ford and GM are nothing close to BMW by ANY means. As a matter of fact, its absurd to even try to compare them. Now if you are talking about VW being good at nothing... you are way off point. VW is the daddy of business my friend.

VW IS GOOD AT ALMOST ANYTHING THEY DO. VW single handedly brought back Lamborghini from the grave. VW saved Audis ass and made it a world class competitor in a VERY short amount of time. VW has the fastest (give or take a few MPH) production car in the world, Bugatti. VW was almost bought out by Porsche (which has the highest profit margin in the industry) and what happened? They turned around and picked up porsche as their tenth brand.

ANY car manufacturer would DREAM to have the type of success that VW has, or even a few of the brands that VW owns and kicks ass with. Bad comparison my friend.