Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
The formula you are referring to is aged. Other auto makers are advancing. Years ago, the "formula" worked and BMW had an incredible edge on the competition. Well, guess what? The competition is closing in and its closing in very fast. Guess what else? The competition is making a lot more money, has a lot more resources, and are growing at rapid rates. Sticking with what got them there is suggesting not adapting to the market and growing as the competition grows. You seem like a clever fella, you know what happens when everyone adapts and you stay sitting there, doing what worked 20-30 years ago, dont you?

Brand identity is important, yes. I dont see this as a lose of identity, I see it as a opportunity to gain the ability to KEEP building amazing enthusiast vehicles without charging us an arm and a leg, watering down the true performance cars, and pulling the incredible warranty they offer which others dont.

With that said, when I drive my BMW, I am not driving an identity around, I am driving an awesome car which brings a giant smile to my face every time I drive it. You are suggesting that you would not enjoy driving a BMW as much if a front wheel drive BMW existed. Why? Do you drive your vehicle as a status symbol? or do you drive your vehicle because you love and enjoy it.

I know one thing for sure, I would rather BMW figure out how to grow than to get swept up by trying to stick with the original "formula" from 20-30 years ago and not adapting. Ill tell you what else, no matter how many FF cars and eco cars BMW makes, how my M3 makes me feel is not going to change.

But apparently, according to most in this thread, maintaining an identity and letting it sink is more important than to go through some changes and keep building awesome cars while making money makers at the same time.
Reading comprehension?

I never said anything about status...you brought that up on your own...it appears you missed my point entirely...

You, or BMW in this case, "adapts" by using their wonderful technology and engineering in order to stay ahead of the competition. I don't care if they use turbos or a 3 cylinder diesel in combination with electric motors...the cars should still be inherently BMW...which means sporty and RWD...

Instead of making cookie-cutter cars that look like what everyone else is making, continue to distinguish yourself by having an entire fleet of cars that feels unlike anything else on the road...

For example, I just leased a 2011 135. It is now my 4th straight BMW...I looked at Audi A4s/S4s, the GTI, the STI, the EVO, the MB C CLass, and the Lexus IS 350...there is a reason I got another Bimmer, and it has nothing to do with status, obviously, since a 1er is hardly up there on the cockometer...

That reason, plainly, is the way the car drives and feels. There was nothing else close in this price range, as far as feel goes. That is established by 2 things--the RWD aspect and the sporty nature of the car...I just think if the company goes down this road, with econoboxes and FWD and whatever the hell else, you will begin to lose that separation, that identity...

As it currently sits, I can get in any BMW and have a general idea of how the thing is going to work because of the brand's identity. Every single car...and I have driven nearly everything the brand has to offer down in Spartanburg, SC...Can you say that for Ford? Can you say that for VW? Can you say that for GM? Of course not...because, again, those companies try to be the best at everything, and end up being good at almost nothing...

/rant.