Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Mantaroo
I am informed that the F30 you drove is built there in RSA where the F20 is imported from Germany. This could explain the power difference and drive feel.

I have driven many 3ers in RSA and they certainly differ in many ways from the German built car. I would expect that the current F30 purchased there is also detuned and has a soft ride as per all previous model 3ers made there. I do not know why they do that.

Sol01 is comparing the German built F30 v F20.

I think that the F30 and F20 are two different drives.

I like several BMW models, I could not compare them one to one. EG new X1 and F30
You either like the F30 for what it is or you like the F20 for what it is.

The F20 is not a lesser F30. They share engines but have different characteristics.

I am sure that there are some people who opt for a F20 if they cannot afford a F30 and still want a BMW and there are some like me who just prefer the F20 and how it works.
For interest's sake (not many people know this), F30s produced at the Rosslyn plant are exported to many primary country markets (http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/Indus...tarts-20120220)

As far as I know, they are not detuned. Where did you drive the 3ers in SA? At the coast, or up in JHB?
Appreciate 0