04-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #41
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry View Post
This isn't an M3 vs. thread, or totally off topic, so hopefully this thread is in the right place. As the most sporting of BMW enthusiests (a little pandering), I'm interested in what folks think of the newest sports car to hit the scene...

http://www.subaru.com/brz/2013/index.html

I'm a die hard car fan, and more specifically, a BMW fan. And even more specific yet, an ///M fane. I'm 32 and I've owned a '78 320i, '89 325i, '91 M5, '98 M3, '07 335i and now my '11 M3. I've owned many other makes/models, as well, but always long for BMW's, and specifically M cars.

I'm posting here to "crazy" check myself with likeminded people.

I miss, in my "under" powered cars, like my 325i, the feeling that I could drive it to the max of its capabilities on the street, out in the bluffs, on and off ramps, etc. Now with the incredibly high capabilities of modern cars, like my M3, I always feel like I need to be restrained. The speeds the car is capable of are so immense, that I have trouble finding anywhere but a track to use them. But tracking a $60k+, brand new car, seems a little wacky to me. I'll do it, just like I did with my 335i, but I mean, god forbid I crash on the track. What about the costs track insurance, track pads, tires, all more expensive on a car like this.

Well, then the new Subaru BRZ caught my eye.

Classic sports car looks, with a sexy silouette that reminds me of a Datson 240z, but brought into the modern erra. There's something almost Aston Martin-esque about the design, like a Japanese Aston.

Then there's the engineering... Lower center of gravity than a Boxter, a few hundred lbs shy of 3000, standard 6 spd MT, RWD, standard LSD (are you listening BMW!!!), 200 HP flat four, hung low in the chassis.

All this for not much more than a Honda Civic Si!! Seems like a perfect budget track car/weekend toy. I'm sure it doesn't get the blood stirring or have the practicality of the M3, but it may be even more rewarding to drive in a world with limits and when money matters. If they can add more power without adding much more weight, it could be exceptional.

So, my M3 brothers and sisters. Am I off base, is it just an underpowered buzzing bee flying around my head? Or is it the real deal, the first affordable pure sports car of this generation?

Crazy check away!!
I agree 1000 times over. Honestly I have been considering something to replace my e36 328i for a daily and I am probably going to go with this.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/25/s...-new-document/

Also at 26k it comes with Nav Bluetooth and HIDs according to autoblog. The only real options I would want anyway. Perfect car as far as I am concerned. I love my e30 beater and my e36 is nice but lately I have been driving my e92 more and more. I don't want to rack up the miles but I want something a bit nicer and fun to drive. I thought about another e36m but I already know if I do that again Im going to strip it and track it just like I did last time lol

source for price/equip statement
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/05/2...25-495-w-poll/
Appreciate 0