View Single Post
      08-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
For a given spring rate, I think there is only one correct damper setting. Making the dampers softer or harder would both make the car less comfortable. The variable sport suspension can not change the spring rate.
One damper setting... that is a very debatable subject, depends what you want from a damper (and spring) for that matter.

The problem with a fixed/passive damper it has to be a compromise anyway. We really need selective frequency damping as a minimum, to widen the damping parameters, but once you can vary damping rates with adaptive systems, the scope is widened for better and more appropriate damping characteristics.

In fact many tuners will comment (for example) that BMW dampers, are not valved for UK roads. We had this issue with the E9x cars where BMW engineers came across to the UK and run some of our trunk roads, right up into Scotland, as there was so much negativety after the poor driving performance of the E60 on UK roads, the cars were wrongly damped. BMW claimed to have revised damping settings. One of the UK's respected tuners Kevin Bird has completely revised spring and damper settings for the E9x cars where primary and secondary ride are greatly improved. BMW have to set up the cars to run at speed and while fully loaded. But that isn't always any good at 50mph on less than ideal roads. Adaptive suspension is a far better concept to give drivers a higher quality of drive.

I do understand that some won't like an active system, prefer the constant of a passive system, but must live with the limitations. Others would rather have the option for a more compliant ride when needed, and dial in a firmer control when driving in a more spirited manner.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0