04-20-2013, 04:17 AM   #16
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by elstoof View Post
If enough people demand it it should be easy enough for them to include it on the iDrive in a software update, perhaps a petition should be started.

I agree it's a shame that BMW have had to compromise over things like LSD's but I can also understand that they have no choice if they want to stay competitive. They don't have the same luxury that Audi has in using the same VAG platforms for several different cars and that's always been the appeal for me - when you buy a BMW it's a bit more special, no one can tell you that your 1 Series is a Golf/Fabia/Ibiza/Passat etc. unfortunately 95% of car buyers don't appreciate this. With restrictions on emissions, pedestrian safety etc, they have to adapt if they want to survive in an ever tougher market. As long as they still cater for the enthusiasts at one end of the scale I can accept a more mass market approach at the other, we just need to keep being the vocal minority and not let them forget.
But by adding an LSD as an option, it would seem to me that they would be even more competetive. It would be an extra source of income. Now the enthusiasts are buying aftermarket parts to make the car into what it should have been from the factory.

Or maybe they will simply buy a Toyota GT86 instead. It has a temperature dial, LSD, RWD and naturally aspirated engine as standard equipment. I know quite a few people who are considering this car (or has already bought it) instead of the BMW

Please, BMW, go back to the core values, and don't make a KIA/Hyundai copy from Bavaria. I would prefer a BMW GT86 instead of a Toyota GT86, but if it can not be provided, I will eventually buy the Toyota.

(The upcoming BMW Z2 is rumoured to have FWD!)
Appreciate 0