View Single Post
      09-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #34
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishy View Post
I had plenty of time to look at the turning rear wheels of the BMW in front of me.
Provided no extreme conditions (hard ice, snow, slope), it must have been summer tyres combined with the driver's poor skills. Just this simple.

Quote:
I could see the traction control kicking in, basically stopping any power going to the rear wheels. Then after some time, traction control would ease off, the rear wheels would begin to slip, the rear end of the car would marginally begin to slip away due to the camber of the road, then traction control cuts back in.
The manual suggests DTC for slippery conditions. I always drive in Sport+ (it implies DTC). When breaking out of a snow trap I use "DSC Off".

Quote:
Why mate?
It looks ridiculously exaggerated. Especially on the first picture that literally illustrates the TG quote. You haven't nearly justified the truck's extreme off-road capabilities either with the pictures or text. It looks like a manifest of your ego being "higher than the highest mountain" (as much above average as the truck is above the car in the first picture). No offence.

Quote:
Well, to make it may be clear: I don't mean any magic, of course. It's not an off-road car.

Yet, my worries about winter driving proved quite void. I'd even thought of snowchains/bracelets but had no need for those yet. In two winters already I haven't had much trouble getting the car out of the snow up to or even higher than the vehicle bottom line (parked in the street, some snowfall): not too much of a shovel work compared to my previous FWDs. And yes, on a motorway, I sometimes feel the speed is risky when it comes to turning or braking, although comfortable otherwise.

Last edited by No one; 09-17-2015 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0