as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

West Midlands Police trial BMW sparks debate

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...sparks-debate/

Quote:
This distinctive-looking police car has been raising eyebrows since it began patrolling the streets of the West Midlands.

West Midlands Police trial BMW sparks debate

This distinctive-looking police car has been raising eyebrows since it began patrolling the streets of the West Midlands.

The BMW M135i – on loan to the police

The BMW M135i, with its eye-catching paint job and shiny black wheels is on loan from BMW for trial as an addition to its elite ‘interceptor’ team.

The £31,000 car, with its unusual metallic blue, yellow and black colour scheme, has also attracted much debate on the internet site Twitter. The M135i is known as the ‘pocket rocket’ among fans, because it offers blistering performance in a car smaller than a Ford Focus.

A 3-litre turbocharged engine produces a massive 315bhp, enabling it to reach 62mph in just 4.9 seconds with the optional sports transmission, although normal civilian versions have their speed limited to 155mph.

But the other bonus is that it is the only small hatchback available with rear-wheel drive, which is preferred by expert drivers for offering keener handling.

West Midlands Police tweeted that there were no plans at the moment to introduce the model to regular patrols, but said it looked like an interesting concept.

"Forces are often sent demo vehicles by manufacturers to test for suitability. It looks very American."

But there have also been some comments from Express & Star readers who have questioned why the police could not use a British-built car instead.

“Why are we not looking into British car makers to lead the line for our patrol cars?,” asked Jamie Paul Hill.

And Don Kiddick added: “Should use Jags. Protect local jobs.”
Appreciate 0