View Single Post
      04-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
TheS9
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i & HSV R8

Thanks for your comments stifla.

I simply ordered the M Performance parts (and fitted prior to delivery) from the dealer, which I got at a great price with some negotiations. I ordered the steering wheel without the race display, but ended up with the race display model (which is much more expensive)! At first I didn't like it, but since it displays oil and water temps - it is a keeper for me!

Honestly, I prefer the M135i sound as that 6 cylinder makes a sweet sweet noise (despite the in-cabin sound enhancer), and the ZF auto gear 'farts' I prefer over the 'crack' noise of the A45 AMG gear changes. I plan to add an M Performance exhaust soon to give that extra bit of noise. Ultimately, the A45 AMG is a 4 cylinder, so to me it sounds pretty underwhelming - especially actual engine noise which is basically non existent (the AMG's noise is all from the exhaust).

Another problem I found with the A45 AMG is simply it is gutless under 2,500 RPM (again being a 4 cylinder engine with a massive turbo), while the M135i is happy at 1,200 RPM and can move well from those revs. So for commuting it is rubbish.

And another big killer for me is the DCT 7 Speed in the A45 AMG - in manual mode, when hitting the downshift paddle, it simply will not select the lower gear until the gearbox/software thought it was optimal to do so. The ZF is one hell of a gearbox! Not noticeably slower than the A45 AMG's DCT on changes, and much more competent at low speeds, stop/start etc, and will actually accept your downshifts immediately.

I find the A45 AMG looks a bit to cutesy for me with its portions, while I find the M135i looks better (subjective) with its longer bonnet. And I prefer the understated/plain look of the M135i, rather than the stand out appearance of the A45 AMG. And that goes the same with the interior - while the A45 AMG interior is great quality and refined, the fake carbon trim, boy-racer look, and silly tablet style attached screen kills it for me.

Not to say the A45 AMG is a bad car, just not suitable for my business use/commuting. If it was the perfect world - a M135i for daily commute, and the A45 AMG for a weekend toy (or sod them all off and get a C63 AMG! ). The A45 AMG.... simply cannot find a faster car point-to-point for the money, it is simply mind-blowing.

As for my old Holden, it was a manual moderately cammed V8, so it was pushing big power (415+hp at rear wheels). It went bloody hard, and you cannot beat that rumble of a cammed dirty V8. But honestly, the engine and gearbox combo of the M135i is simply too hard to beat. The M135i certainly feels as quick, if not quicker than the old V8 - but if it had a peach of a gear box like the ZF 8 Speed, it would be a different story. But I'd imagine once you get up with the speed, the V8 will definitely pull ahead.

Either way, the SSV was terrible as a commuting car (was a weekend car until work situation changed) and sucked 15 - 19 litres per 100kms depending on traffic!!!
Appreciate 0