View Single Post
      09-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #25
acorradi87
Private
Rep
Drives: e39

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
If you have not driven both, the power delivery is so different. The S85 engine in the E60 M5 is a future classic to be sure. However, it delivers a marginal increase in torque at a much higher RPM, rendering it more like the S54 in my M coupe. In daily driving, the extra horsepower and torque cannot be enjoyed. I drove both the SMG and 6-speed versions of the E60 M5 extensively. The SMG fits the engine better, but I still longed for a manual. The main reason I skipped the E60 was that when I was really enjoying it I was in danger of going to jail. Seriously - over 5000 RPM the engine and driving is nothing short of epic. I wanted everyone to get out of my way so I could enjoy the car. In daily driving, well, not so much. That plus the prospect of owning a V-10 out of warranty (I keep my cars for a long time) convinced me to wait.

Interestingly, the E39 was a break in the traditional M style of producing engines with modest low-down torque and high horsepower...until the current F8X. A BMW hotrod, at least at the time.

Anyway, I'm keeping the E39 (and Z4M coupe) and will be adding a modern M car soon - the M2 or M3 LCI...not sure yet.
Agreed - same with the e39 540 and e60 550. I own both and due to its power delivery, the 540 is more fun on a day to day basis. You really need to rev up the 550 to feel power and by then you're going way over the speed limit.
Appreciate 0