View Single Post
      06-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #55
SF Dede
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-NC View Post
So you don't want to move to Europe, Asia or Australia? Because as most of you might not be aware - for what reason ever - This car will NOT come to the US.
So comments like above are a bit pointless, are they?
The choice by BMW NA to not bring the F20 to the US really baffles me.

I would be really happy to buy one. Fully loaded with M-Sport.

BMW would really end up owning the US premium hatch market if they brought it hear in 128i, 135i, and 123d forms. Combined with Mini sales and they would have well over half the market.

If you're in the market here for a premium hatch, not an SUV, you have these options:
  • Audi A3 2.0T/TDI
  • BMW - ?
  • Lexus - CT200h
  • Mercedes - upcoming A-Class (which they intend to bring to the US)
  • Mini Cooper / Clubman in all variants
  • VW GTI - heavily optioned
  • VW Beetle 2.0T/TDI - heavily optioned (VW intends to compete with Mini here)
    Volvo C30
One thing you notice immediately is that they are all FWD, except a select few which come in 4WD as well. My rough number is that this is just shy of 150,000 cars in the US. If BMW were to sell this vehicle here they would capture some sales from the competition. BMW might cannibalize some sales from the X3, but with a starting price of $36,750, I would argue that would likely not be significant. They might cannibalize some sales from Mini, but I would think that would be only in the case of the 4-door hatch as Mini's 4-dr is the Countryman. But what I really think would happen is that they would grow the market by 10,000 a year and steal from their competition. This would be because their product in the market would be unique; RWD/xDrive, premium, performance oriented, and if they bring the 123d, able to compete head to head with premium hybrids.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0